Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Just Married - Vendor Reviews!

We just got married on May 18th so I thought I'd post my vendor reviews.  There are a lot, but I wanted to include all of the different vendors we used!

Rehearsal Dinner Site:  Wayzata Bay Charters

We chose a private charter package that allowed us to have the boat to ourselves.  The planning process with Wayzata Bay Charters was seamless and we found them to be really reasonably priced as far as a unique rehearsal dinner site goes!  Everyone raved about being on the lake on a beautiful evening and gushing over the houses.  The food was surprisingly good – we had opted for the fiesta package and were pleasantly surprised that the taco meat was barbacoa (shredded beef) and carnitas (shredded pork).  Beer, wine, and margaritas were all included in our package plus they gave us a free case of champagne for toasts.

Rehearsal Dinner Desserts:  Sweets Bakeshop

Sweets is a personal favorite of my husband and I, so it was the obvious choice for our desserts.  We got a large selection of macaroons and cupcakes from them and to our surprise every single item was eaten by our guests by the end of the cruise!  We used Groupons to save some money with them, since they can be spendy, but they are worth the money as everything looks wonderful and tastes delicious!

Wedding Ceremony Site:  St. Therese of Deephaven

St. Therese is our regular church and the priest is a friend of ours, so the ceremony was incredibly personal.  Our guests indicated that they were really touched and have never seen a wedding that was so personal.  The wedding coordinator (Josh) used to be at The Basilica so he has the planning process down to a science and everything was incredibly smooth.  His focus was on the wedding being exactly as we wanted it in all details, and allowed us some deviations from the standard wedding mass to make it as personal as we wanted.

Reception Site:  St. Paul College Club

I can’t possibly explain how amazing the St. Paul College Club was in terms of our reception site nor can I accurately articulate how wonderful Wendie and Katie were in the planning process.  From the beginning, they gave us fantastic vendor recommendations, responded immediately to all of our email inquiries, and allowed as many planning meetings as we wanted.   Both of these coordinators have been through countless weddings and were very candid in their recommendations for how to make our wedding as elegant as possible.  The hors d’ourves and dinner that were served were not typical wedding food – it was like dining out at a restaurant and we received feedback from many of our guests that it was by far and away the best food that they have ever had at a wedding.  Additionally, our guests loved getting to use all of the different spaces within the mansion as well as having the backyard space to enjoy the sunny day.  We have received such positive responses from our guests on the overall St. Paul College Club experience – and have even received several thank you cards from our guests for getting to be part of such a wonderful experience.

Hair and Makeup:  Burley’s Salon

Trish at Burley’s is my regular stylist and Darnita was contracted to come in and do make up for myself and my bridesmaid.  Trish did several practice runs of my hairstyle on other stylists during downtime and executed my hair perfectly on both my trial run and on the day of the wedding.  Also I provided a picture of the makeup look I wanted and Darnita gave me that exact look. 

Dress:  Glass Slipper Bridal Salon

I know that Glass Slipper is now part of Unique Bridals, but I did want to give a review of them because Pat gave me such a wonderful dress shopping experience.  Being plus-size I delayed looking for a dress because I didn’t think I would enjoy that process at all.  I happened to stumble upon Glass Slipper when calling around looking for a particular dress and am so happy I found them.  Pat had a great selection of dresses and was so customer service oriented.  Even after trying on her dresses, I still had a dress I saw online in my head and knew I couldn’t make a decision until I saw that dress.  Pat called everywhere trying to find it, but had no luck.  So she made me a deal – she offered to order the dress in my size.  If I liked it, it was mine.  If not, she would keep it for her inventory.  When it came in, I fell in love and the dress was mine!  I can’t think of any other bridal shop that would have done that for me.

Alterations:  Amazing Alterations

The top of my dress needed significant alterations (due to weight loss) and Brenda came through, making the dress fit like a glove!  Her shop is so cute, she is so fun, I love her shop dog, and on top of all of that, her prices are incredibly reasonable.  She has an eye for detail and she recommended that I wear a small hoop under my dress – for fullness, and to keep the dress off of me.  That really worked out well since it ended up being 90 and sunny on my wedding day!

Tuxes:  Savvi

We initially booked with Men’s Warehouse by my husband hated working with them and cancelled the reservation and changed to Savvi.  They were very professional and our tuxes were delivered earlier than promised.  Some of the guys needed last minute alterations (arm length too long on shirts or jackets) or changes (shoes were the wrong size), so the extra time was appreciated.

Flowers:  Bachman’s

We originally booked with a small local florist, who was a real headache to work with.  When we got out of the contract with her, we decided to see what the prices were at Bachman’s.  We always assumed that they would be on the high end, but they were actually MUCH cheaper than the small florist we originally worked with and Karen was far nicer to work with.  We used tons of hydrangeas for our centerpieces and for various arrangements and they were absolutely beautiful throughout the St. Paul College Club. We also bought all of the vases with our flowers and had our guests take the arrangements home with them.  People couldn’t believe that they could take them with them!  I’ve heard back from a few who did take arrangements home that they flowers are still beautiful – and it’s been 11 days since the wedding.

Photographer:  Harvest Moon Photography

We haven’t received our pictures back yet, but if they are anything like our engagement pictures I know we won’t be disappointed!  Mike and Autumn were with us the whole day – from 1 until 10 – capturing everything!  But on top of that, they are great to be around and added to the fun of that day.

Wedding Cake:  Buttercream

I know that Buttercream gets a bad rap on The Knot, but we found them to be exceptional.  Our cake was gorgeous – it was prettier than the picture I gave them.  We selected 3 flavors – Carrot Cake, Neapolitan, and asked if we could do a custom flavor.  They created our custom flavor (chocolate chipotle cake with cinnamon mousse and buttercream) perfectly and got huge raves for it from our guests.  When we have gone to weddings before, we always hated that there was barely enough cake for each person to have one piece when there were multiple flavors served so we ordered 180 pieces for our 120 guests.  Every single piece was gone at the end of the night!

Live Performer:  Dan Rodriguez

Dan played an acoustic set during our cocktail hour of cover songs that we love.  He was great, we just wish that we would have known that everyone was going to be outside so we could have had him set up there rather than in the living room inside of the mansion.  At least my husband and I got to enjoy his music while we had the receiving line!

DJ:  Cookies and Cognac

Brian is so quirky and fun, we just loved that he was our DJ!  He really listened to what we wanted (no group dances, no dollar dance, no heavy DJ interaction, and no dances that call out the bride!) and kept the dance floor packed all night.  At midnight, we still had a ton of our guests there and I know they would have danced for another hour or two if we could have!

Wedding Party Transportation:  JD Limousine

Since we did pictures in St. Paul, the ceremony in Deephaven, and the reception back in St. Paul we thought it important to keep the wedding party together all day.  We rented a stretch H2 from JD Limousine to accommodate the whole group.  They were timely, got us to where we needed to be on time, and were very friendly and courteous.  While I thought that renting a stretch H2 was a bit obnoxious, it was clean and comfortable for our whole group!

End of Night Transportation:  Ride Man Ride

My husband and I didn’t want to worry about having to drive at the end of the night so we used Ride Man Ride – and his jaguar – to get us to our hotel.  The car was great and it fit my ball gown!   In fact, we liked their service so much that we used them again to get us to the airport for our honeymoon.  You definitely ride in style!

Re: Just Married - Vendor Reviews!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards