Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Completely NWR and slightly bizarre request

Hey gals,
I guess I'll just launch right in: my SIL just found out her mom has breast cancer. She's completely devastated, and my mom is trying to help them prepare for this huge, frightening jump into chemo, radiation, etc. 

She's starting chemo right away (10 weeks?), followed by a partial- or full-mastectomy, followed by a radiation series. 

Here is the sort of bizarre request part ... she'll be losing her hair within a couple weeks of starting the chemo, and she is fairly concerned about that. She asked if anyone knows of a place in the TC that has good wigs.

I figured it can't hurt to ask you ladies, as I'm sure many of you have had loved ones go through this before and may have some helpful suggestions.

Thanks so much, and I know my SIL and her family appreciate any good thoughts or prayers headed their way.
Married and lovin' it!
Our Wedding! (click.)

Re: Completely NWR and slightly bizarre request

• Options
    mackle622mackle622 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://www.sunnyshair.com/ - there's a location in Uptown at Lake & Hennepin ave. My step mom went through a double mastectomy and radiation about a year ago. She didn't lose her hair but the process was tough..I've heard a ton of good things about Sunnys. I'll be sending you guys good thoughts & prayers through this.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear about this :( When my mom got radiation for a cancerous tumor in her throat her hair only thinned a bit on the back of her head so she didn't ever need a wig.  That being said I don't have any recommendations from experience but I am sure she had info (she kept everything) on good places to check out, if you don't end up getting any good recs I can look through her old stuff and see if I can find anything!  But I am sure your SIL mom will probably receive the same kind of information from her doctors/nurses.

Good thoughts headed your family's way!
    June 18, 2011 Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG I am so sorry to hear that   :(   that is awful.  :(

I second Sunny's - they have 100% human hair wigs and look amazing. 

Also there is a charity out there (can't remember the name) but they pay for 2 wigs for cancer patients.  When my mom was going through chemo they came to her and told her about it and gave her the info to get 2 free wigs so that is possible for your SIL's mom
  • Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear that! I know that there is a wig store in Har Mar mall in Roseville. I've never been in there, but it looks like a decent place. I also think that there might be one at Rosedale Mall.

ETA-- Have her try Merle Norman.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    schmoodschmood member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try checking with the American Cancer Society.... I know they have lots of resources specific to the multiple types of cancer and you can specify to find resources in your area.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PP's.  I don't have much experience but I did hear that Locks of Love charges for wigs (However, this is just something I heard, not sure if it's true). 

Thoughts and prayers for your SIL's mom!
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • Options
    debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, everyone. I will bring your suggestions back to my SIL, and I know how much she'll appreciate it.
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • Options
    bellaxanthebellaxanthe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that.  I've had a lot of cancer and breast cancer specifically in my family. The treatment has  really come a long way.  American Cancer Society can be an excellent resource as PP stated. They can even offer rides to and from Chemo.  A care package that you might be interested in throwing together for her might include some ginger candies or teas for nausea, plastic utensils (metal tastes  bad after chemo),  and a nice scarf or something cuddly blanket-wise for the treatments.  She is in  my thoughts. Think positive - it's contagious. I know this is out there but I believe the MN dos has some treatment centers that offer this "ice cap/cold cap" treatment. It has claimed to allow people to keep there hair thru treatments.  I always thought it would be something I would look into if I was going thru this. I know it's out there - but it may be worth looking into.
    photo c603d655-594e-44b6-a311-72f04e7a561b_zpscca2447c.jpg My Little Sweetheart Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish my boss were here today - she had breast cancer last year and did wear a wig through it.  I think she might still wear it if her hair hasn't grown in yet.  It was a really good one, so hard to tell it wasn't her own hair. 

I really hope Locks of Love doesn't charge for wigs.  I was planning on donating my hair to them when I get it chopped off after the wedding.
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_completely-nwr-slightly-bizarre-request?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:4f628814-9939-41ec-9a17-fa75f1a8b67aPost:d85c2792-1522-47d1-833f-487b066689e0">Re: Completely NWR and slightly bizarre request</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto PP's.  I don't have much experience but I did hear that Locks of Love charges for wigs
    Posted by SuperRNluvsChef[/QUOTE]

I thought I saw when I donated hair awhile back that they provide wigs to kids w/cancer that otherwise couldn't afford one. I'm not 100% on that...

Thinking good thoughts, Debbie!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis"

good thoughts and prayers for your family.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thinking very positive thoughts and prayers for your and your SIL's family. 
    Cancer is a major a-hole.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards