Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

cake question

I am just starting to look at different bakeries for our wedding cake!

I really have my heart set on doing mini cupcakes and then having a small cake for my fiance and I to cut.  Im just looking for some suggestions! 

Also, do places usually charge you for a tasting?  I have called a few bakeries and some want to charge $30 for a tasting??  Is this normal??

Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Re: cake question

• Options
    We did four tastings and only one of them charged for the tasting.  The one that charged was around $20-30.

The bakeries we did tastings with were:
    Wuollet Bakery
    Jessica's Cakes
    The Cake Diva
    and for some reason I can't remember the fourth one right now.

They were all yummy, but we ended up going with Jessica's Cakes
    BFP #3 July 2012 = EDD 4/1/2013
    BFP #2 May 2012 = loss at 4w3d
    BFP #1 January 2003 = 9 year old son

imageimage
    ? My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I highly recommend Sweet Treats by Jeff Perila. Jeff does cupcakes, all cake sizes, mini desserts, etc. He doesn't charge for the tasting, and the cupcakes that we tasted were amazing! His prices are amazing too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_cake-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:52f9f858-9882-4c89-9e2f-7d8e96c8f640Post:e63707eb-07fa-4b2c-aaee-c4f997569790">Re: cake question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I highly recommend Sweet Treats by Jeff Perila. Jeff does cupcakes, all cake sizes, mini desserts, etc. He doesn't charge for the tasting, and the cupcakes that we tasted were amazing! His prices are amazing too.
    Posted by Sscholfield[/QUOTE]

Ditto this! Jeff's cupcakes are AMAZING. We didn't do a traditional tasting with him because we were in from out of town and wanted to try several kinds, but he let us order a half dozen of a few different flavors, which worked out great. I seriously want to order cupcakes from him everytime I'm in town, that's how good they are. :) Plus he's just the nicest guy, which just makes life easier. And like PP said, his prices are great! He's half the price of our venue's cupcakes, and his were 100 times better.
  • Options
    We did tastings at three different places (Wuollet's, Sweet Retreat and Byerly's) and none of them charged us.  We ended up going with Wuollet's as we thought it tasted the best.  Most bakeries can probably do cupcakes and a small cake for you... I do know that Sweet Retreat primarily only makes cupcakes, so you might look into them!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Another vote for Jeff!  I agree with everything the ladies already said :)  His cupcakes are amazing, everyone loved them at our wedding.  I also bought a few dozen for one of my showers.  They were a hit!

I think i need to find an occassion to buy some more!
    June 18, 2011 Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Another vote for Jeff! My wedding cake went so fast! My mom and aunt didn't even get a piece since they didn't choose that first. (we had multiple desserts from him.)
  • Options
    For cupcakes we are using Charity with Cupcake Couture.   She has so many flavors and they are all fantastic.  She has been extremely generous and has given me two dozen cupcakes for sampling (which I shared because otherwise I would not fit in to my dress!).  I met with her in person for the first time in December and loved all of her ideas!  I could really tell that this is was she loves to do.  Also, her prices are great!  Website --> http://www.cupcakesmn.com/index.html.

268 Invited image 92 Attending image 21 Declined image Still Waiting 155 image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest

http://megananderic.weebly.com/index.html
  • Options
    One more vote for Jeff Perila :) He makes cakes and cupcakes in many different flavors and they are all amazing! He doesn't charge for tasting either. We also tried cake at Queen of Cakes and they also didn't charge for taste testing. 

• Options
    Thank you for all of the suggestions!  I contacted Jeff and am excited to try his famous cake!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_cake-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:52f9f858-9882-4c89-9e2f-7d8e96c8f640Post:29f179b3-6d05-48d3-8324-25a9fbb0fb50">Re: cake question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: cake question : Ditto this! Jeff's cupcakes are AMAZING. We didn't do a traditional tasting with him because we were in from out of town and wanted to try several kinds, but he let us order a half dozen of a few different flavors, which worked out great. I seriously want to order cupcakes from him everytime I'm in town, that's how good they are. :) Plus he's just the nicest guy, which just makes life easier. And like PP said, his prices are great! He's half the price of our venue's cupcakes, and his were 100 times better.
    Posted by Cackle6[/QUOTE]

You're using the PEC right? I thought their cupcakes were decently priced but if his are that much less I might have to look into him!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    We use Grandmas Bakery and they were both really tasty and very reasonably priced. I would think twice about any place that charges you for a tasting. Most places want to offer a free sample of their work as advertising and a display of pride in their work-- I wouldn't trust a place that charges, personally.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards