Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

HELP! Where to look for dresses!

Hello Ladies,

I will be meeting my famliy in the twin cities for dress shopping in March and was wondering where you ladies have had good luck/service.  i'm not from the area so i'm clueless on where to start, who is good, etc. 

I'm nervous because I'm plus-sized and not wanting to spend a crazy amount on a dress. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! 

Thanks!

Re: HELP! Where to look for dresses!

• emilyj77emilyj77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a plus size too and found dresses to try on at Rushs in downtown Mpls, Glenrose Floral to Formals in Plymouth, Mary Kay's Bridal in Richfield, and of course Davids. I went to the one in Richfield and that's were I found the ONE.

Make sure to make appointments at all of these places and bring pictures of dresses you think you'd like to try on.

Good luck!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The Wedding Shoppe has received mixed reviews, but I worked with a consultant named Katy, who totally rocked. She was positive and funny and I didn't feel self-conscious in front of her. TWS has a separate area for PS brides, with samples in sizes 12+, and you will be able to pick out what styles you want to try. However, bring pictures of styles you like - the dress I bought was in the smaller samples, not in the PS section.

Definitely make an appointment, bring your own strapless bra, and if you can go on a weekday, things will be less hectic. (I went on a Weds AM and had zero issues on feeling rushed.)

Good luck! I was REALLY nervous, but I am so so soooo glad I had Katy instead of the snarkier Wedding Shoppe girls I've heard about. (In other words, request her!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • shameless_adshameless_ad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at The Wedding Shoppe, and had a fabulous experience with my consultant - Carolyn F.  I would highly recommend her. 

I am also plus sized, and I loved the way they had it set up.  I know some ladies didn't like being separated from the main dress area, but I much preferred not being around a bunch of size 2 brides while I was trying on my dresses. 

I also went to the Wedding Chapel in Crystal, and got very very frustrated because they had almost no samples that would fit me (I'm a 16 in street clothes).
    Bio - Updated 7/25/10
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 284 Invited image 182 Attending image 96 Declined image 6 Not yet replied
  • Noodles8579Noodles8579 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you so much for these suggestions.  i appreciate it.  i'm terrified i'll end up with a consultant that is going to make me feel even more self-conscious.  if any others have suggestions, please keep them coming!
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mestads in Rochester is another wonderful place to try. They have AMAZING service and a pretty decent selection of plus-size samples. I highly recommend checking them out as well. Its a bit of a drive from the Twin Cities (about an 1-1.5 hour drive), but WELL worth it! There is a location in St. Cloud as well, but I am not as familiar with that one.
  • edited December 2011
    I had a bad experience with the wedding shoppe and a great experience at both Brides of France and Rush's.  However, everyone has a different experience, so check out the places that work out the best for you.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Faith at Rush's was the best for me. No pressure, very genuine. HIGHLY recommend.
    Number Atttending 10 image Number Declined 37 image Number Not Replied 240 image
    RSVP Date: September 1
    /image>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to Mary Kay's in Richfield, too, and they have a really great team there. There really isn't any pressure and they make it an enjoyable experience. While I recommend making an appointment, it's not requried there. It does, though, guarantee your family will get a seating area near the mirror so you can show off the dresses =)
  • archie08archie08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to The Wedding Chapel in Crystal is where I got my dress. They have a nice selection of dresses. I felt really comfortable there while trying on dresses as it was a bit more private. The consultants were very friendly. Make sure to make an appointment though. Unlike the other bride I heard that they do have a nice selection of plus size dresses.
  • edited December 2011
    I also went to the wedding shoppe. I worked with Kathy and I went to highschool with Carolyn F.
    There staff is pretty awesome but I would suggest booking during a weekday if possible- its less busy
  • aggy34aggy34 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on when your wedding is watch for sample sales or tent sales.  I had just started looking for my dress and found one at a sample sale it needs to be altered but it was a $1500 dress for $300 and I love it.
  • abohlkeabohlke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i went to the wedding chapel in crystal after a HORRIBLE experience at david's bridal. my sizes range from 14-18 and david's bridal had NOTHING for me to try on, so she squeezed me into a bunch of 10s and 12s. needless to say it was hard for me to get a good idea of what i liked since i couldn't zip/tie up ANYOF THEM!!! the wedding chapel was great and all of the dresses i tried on actually fit me :) the lady i worked with was Diana. She was so nice and made me feel so great! i gave her a hug after we were all done because she made it the great experience it's supposed to be. good luck! 
  • MomangeMomange member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Carrie Johnson Bridal in Waite Park and had the best service ever! I knew that when I left there that I would buy my dress from her, regardless of if she carried the dress I wanted. I then went to the Bridal Center. Service was ok but nothing spectacular. I've been to David's Bridal for other weddings I've been in and will never give them another dollar. I've never once had good service at David's Bridal.
    In the end, I did buy my dress from Carrie Johnson's Bridal in Waite Park. It's was a little bit of a drive but the service was outstanding, the prices were very reasonable (nothing over $1200) and a great selection.
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards