Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Hello MSP brides ~ Semi-new here

Bonjour/bonsoir!
I've been stalking & occasionally chiming in for a few weeks, and someone suggested that I intro myself... Not sure of the protocol, so Hello!

FI & I are planning a Aug 27 wedding in Minneapolis.  Sorta short engagement period, but we're having luck pulling it together so far.  We got engaged in late November, got no planning done over the holidays, spent a few weeks debating between Sonoma County and MSP... and finally, now at 5 months before the big day, we have a reception site booked (Chambers), save the date cards mailed, a website started, and are now debating between two CM sites.  Also, my biggest coup so far was finding my DREAM DRESS on oncewed.com last month - NWT, $350 less than Brides of France!  (pic in my Knot bio Smile) It's in my closet - just need to arrange for a tailor!

I bookmarked the page so I can view the forums w/o that bandwidth-sucking video (interesting, but makes my computer crazy)... just wondering, is there a way to search forum posts so I can see if a topic has been discussed already before posting a question? (the FB weddingbook app allows searches.)

I was hoping to find someone talking about our possible CM sites to hear an in-planning perspective about the places we're considering: the Guthrie, Sculpture Garden, or the Calhoun Beach Club.  Any CBC brides out there?

Have a nice weekend, everybody!

-KittE
eight twenty-seven ten
reviews to come, i promise

Re: Hello MSP brides ~ Semi-new here

• Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!  This place gets much more addicting once you start posting.  Good luck on planning.  Unfortunately, I haven't looked into any of those places, but I'm sure other knotties have.  This place is a fantastic resource.
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Welcome! I just wanted to say Hi as I am also getting married on August 27.

Sorry I can't help out with the ceremony sites. I do want to take e-pics at both the Guthrie and sculpture gardens though.

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  How exciting! that it's only 5 months away!

As far as the search goes... I've never gotten it to work correctly.  Sometimes it'll find what I'm looking for, but off on someone else's page (Nevada is the one that it usually defaults to. weird.)  Sorry I can't be more help!
  • Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!!! Great intro! I gotta say, I'm impressed with how you've hit the ground running on your planning! I had a long engagement and can't imagine having to pull everything together in 5 months (I'm also in a doctoral program full-time, FI in a masters program full-time, I live in Chicago, he's in Ohio....so the extra time has been great). 

The Guthrie, Sculpture Garden and CBC are all beautiful sites! I don't know much about them personally, but I have heard of brides working with them for either pictures, receptions or ceremonies....so its possible!

Yes, the search function pretty much never works! So, if you see a thread you may find useful later on, you may want to mark it (by clicking on "watch" above the arrows and right next to the "Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul" thingy).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats! What a score on your gown - I had my eye on a Reem Acra gown on Once Wed, but didn't have the nerve to buy it without trying it on. I applaud you! Also, I love the Chambers space - FI's company's holiday party was held there a few years ago and the cocktail hour in the Burnet Gallery was so pretty. Will the new D'Amico Kitchen be doing your catering? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! I like your ambition and quick planning!

I haven't looked at either CBC or Guthrie, but have been to parties there, and they are pretty awesome spaces, but IMO seem like strange choices for ceremonies, when you are having your reception elsewhere. Isn't there space at the Chambers to do the ceremony?

Good Luck with everything!

My Married Lady Bio
    FOR SALE ITEMS Wedding Countdown Ticker

I got married on Friday the 13th!
  • Options
    LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board! Thanks for the intro, and thanks for coming out of lurkerdom :)
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! This is definitely one of the best and nicest boards on the knot! Good luck with planning; I too have had to play some catch-up with planning - but it CAN be done!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome/Salut!

First off: LOVE the La Sposa Fanal ... I bought the La Sposa Fresa from Brides of France ... they're so similar and oh my gosh I love them.

Congrats on your engagement and super-fast planning!
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have the same dress! Yay!
  • Options
    LysklbLysklb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello-
    I also have the same dress! I'm curious do you have a picture of the bustle you mentioned in your bio?
  • Options
    KittE7KittE7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies, thanks for the welcome!!

@debbieupper, shudak1, and lysklb - La Sposa brides!  I fell in love at the shop - it was the first dress I pulled & the 2nd dress I tried on... When I Googled the Fanal for more info/pics & saw how popular it is, I almost counted its popularity against it (everyone wants a unique dress, right?), but no other gown could compare to it.  Once I found it on OnceWed, it was all over.  Found it on a Thursday, one week later it was in my closet.

Who are/were you considering for your alterations?  Since I found it at BoF, I could ask them for a rec, but I feel a llittle weird b/c I didn't buy it from them.  I want to hire someone who is familiar with La Sposa & can do an awesome bustle!

Re: Fanal bustling, I don't have a personal pic, just a mental image of what the gal at BoF did w/the sample gown.  She showed us a left-side bustle and a triple-tier back French bustle.  You could check out the (huge) Fanal thread on pricescope.com's forum - some gals have posted their finished pics: http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=107460

:)
    eight twenty-seven ten
  • Options
    KittE7KittE7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bimbi284 - thanks :) We found the initial planning so consuming that we didn't want to drag it out for another year! Since our VIP guests' schedules were so tight for 2010, we almost had to push it off until 2011... but we got lucky with this date.  
    Even so, between 2 jobs (no grad school yet) & my new goal of training for a 10k this summer, I still feel like all my free time (& some work time) is consumed by thinking about the wedding... there's no time to spare, these things have to be reserved, right?!   Not a unique problem for people planning weddings, I'm sure.

@beka0404 - thanks for the fb about chambers... The venue is contracted with D'Amico Catering... so it won't be the same as the D'Amico Kitchen... but that's what we were initially hoping for!

Qston - thanks for your fb about CM sites. Do you have any ideas for cool, secular CM sites in Mpls?  We're still looking!

I LOVE the idea of having a park CM.  But we'd need a good "rain location"!!  It costs just as much to rent a sculpture garden space, chairs, & the back-up conservatory space as it does to rent the CBC boulevard room (& chairs).

We asked for info from CBC initially, and they never replied... of course, we received tons of other responses, so we spent our time investigating those.  It would be awesome to do both CM & RC there. Too bad... (tant pis)

We booked Chambers when we were pretty sure about the Guthrie's Endless Bridge for the CM... we like that the site incorporates art, architecture, and history (Mpls starting around the river).
    Then 2 things happened. 1- We realized that we can't fit 100 guests seated inside the Bridge!  Oops!  We're trying to fit everyone so we don't have to split the list.  If we do split the list, we'd have a small group outside (or inside ICO rain).
    2-I made an appt to meet with our contact at the Guthrie to discuss our options (70 inside? 100 inside? Any pics of past weddings there?) - and she didn't show up.  I don't know what happened, but it left a bad taste...

Very valid point to investigate a Chambers CM.  But the rooftop lounge will already be set up for our RC... the Gallery will be used for our cocktail hour... we don't like the ART rooms or the courtyard for this.  And even if we converted the Gallery from CM to cocktails, there wouldn't be room for guests to be seated, & we're unsure what art will be up at that time.  I don't really want to get married next to something I find ugly or distracting.
    Plus, I want to take "around the city" photos between the CM & RC - uptown, the lakes, the Sculpture Garden, the SA Bridge... I guess we could leave from Chambers to do those things, but then we're ditching our guests downtown, way before the cocktail hour starts!

Gahhh.
    eight twenty-seven ten
  • Options
    debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_hello-msp-brides-semi-new-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:7e382128-4961-4b60-a24a-8e907f676ab5Post:c4e70305-e1ff-4eb6-b4d2-bf486e39ca16">Re: Hello MSP brides ~ Semi-new here</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who are/were you considering for your alterations?  Since I found it at BoF, I could ask them for a rec, but I feel a llittle weird b/c I didn't buy it from them.  I want to hire someone who is familiar with La Sposa & can do an awesome bustle! Re: Fanal bustling, I don't have a personal pic, just a mental image of what the gal at BoF did w/the sample gown.  She showed us a left-side bustle and a triple-tier back French bustle.  You could check out the (huge) Fanal thread on pricescope.com's forum - some gals have posted their finished pics: <a href="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=107460" rel="nofollow">http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=107460</a> :)
    Posted by KittE7[/QUOTE]

<div>I hadn't even thought of googling La Sposa bustle options, but that's an excellent idea! Thanks!</div><div>
    </div><div>Re: alterations, I wouldn't feel weird going to them even when you didn't get the dress there. I mean, they sell consignment so it's not like they're opposed to twice-worn dress. You can always just say you really couldn't afford it through them, but since they were so helpful in finding you the dress, you wanted to go through them for alterations ... or something.</div><div>
    </div><div>I would like to go through them, too, since I know their alterations gal is completely familiar with La Sposa and the built in bra, etc. Not that someone else couldn't do a great job, I just KNOW BoF will. I think it's pretty pricey, though. :(</div>
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found some bustles online too...  I am going to use them with I meet with my tailor.  I am using the recommended tailor from BoF.  I think her name is Kathy?  I think she works independantly so you could use her anyway if you wanted to.  I have her info if you'd like it, just let me know.  I am a bit worried about the popularity of the dress also.  I didnt realize it was so popular until after I had bought it, but it's too late now I think, and I do love the dress. 
  • Options
    KittE7KittE7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I found some bustles online too...  I am going to use them with I meet with my tailor.  I am using the recommended tailor from BoF.  I think her name is Kathy?  I think she works independantly so you could use her anyway if you wanted to.  I have her info if you'd like it, just let me know. 
    Posted by shudak1[/QUOTE]

shudak1 - your wedding is 13 days before mine!  Maybe we could have shared Fanal... haha.  I'm just glad that I have it already (no 4-month waiting period!), saved money, and since it's so popular, I may be able to sell it afterwards!
    PS, (I saw your bio cake pic) you like the black & white damask pattern? I am hoping to incorporate "damask" stuff in my stationery/paper stuff & maybe table runners.  Are you putting damask in your decor?  And would you be willing to "co-own" or sell any decor that you're buying?

Re: tailor: Score. Could you PM me Kathy's contact info? My friend thought Kathy seemed kinda bossy, but I think she's just particular about how she works- which is a good thing when you're talking about my wedding gown!  And yes, the BoF tailoring service will run a bit high... $300-350 is what she told me.  *sigh*  Maybe I'll just cut cable TV for 3 months!
    eight twenty-seven ten
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi,
    Is there damask stuff on my bio?  Funny, I didn't mean there to be.  I'm not using damask, but I do like it!  I do think there are a few other brides out here using damask though so I'm sure you could find some good stuff.  I will find her info and send it off to you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PM'd you KittE7.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PS, I didnt have to wait 4 months, they told me it may be 4 months, but it came in in about two months!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards