Ohio-Columbus
Options

I need advice, please!*Sorry so long!

Hey Ladies!
     I am very much in need of some bridesmaid advice. I need to have a talk with one of my bridesmaids on whether or not she still wants to be in our wedding. When I asked her to be in the wedding party, about a year and a half ago, she was one of my best friends. About a year ago, she seperated from her husband, which was obviously very hard on her. The marriage was not a happy one, but I know that that doesn't make seperating any easier. They also have a child together. Since they have seperated, she has decided to completely change herself into what she deemed to be a better, more fun person. We were close, so no matter what, I would love her, but I don't even know who this new person is anymore. She has pushed me and our other best friend away, and we rarely talk. Which is especially awkward because we even work for the same company in the same building. If she sees me at work and I don't stop her and say hi first, she just walks right on by me.
     Our other friend has moved, and now lives in a different state, but she visits frequently, and I visit her as well. My friend always makes up excuses to break plans with us when we try to make them. The last straw came recently when she told us that she wasn't going to come to a party to hang out with friends because she just felt like staying at home. She lives right down the street, so we said that maybe we would just stop by her place to say hi then, and she said that she would prefer that we didn't, that she would rather be alone. She lives basically just across the road from my house, so when we left the party at about 1:30 am, we thought that we would drive by her apartment and see if it looked like she was still awake and check again to make sure she didn't want company. When we pulled up to her apartment, I was surprised to see one of our married male co-workers leaving her place. I called her up to see what was going on, and she said that he just stopped by as a friend because he was worried about her and that they just talked. I don't really care about what did or didn't happen, but it kinda hurt that she preferred his company over ours. I told her this, and she just stated that she was sorry, but she just felt like he was all the support that she has in this city and that he is her best friend. I told her that I felt like we weren't even really friends anymore, and if she didn't want me as a friend, she should just be honest with me and say so, because I'm tired of pretending that we're best buds, and trying to improve our friendship if she doesn't want it anyway.
     I really just feel like she couldn't care less about what's going on with me. When I talk to her, she goes on and on about her life, and as a friend, I listen. But she rarely inquires about what's going on with me. She told me during one of our talks that it made her sad to talk about my wedding because I was happy, and she was not, and even though she was happy for me, the festivities make her sad. Basically, she would prefer that we just don't talk about it. So we don't. She never asks about anything, so I don't tell her anything for fear that it will upset her too much.
     I know that I need to have a talk with her and ask if she still wants to be in the wedding. At this point, I'm not really going to be hurt if she chooses not to be in the wedding party, I just don't feel right having someone involved who I feel really doesn't care about me. The problem is that I know that she hates confrontation and she will pretend like everything is okay, even if she is upset. She will say that she wants to be in the wedding and involved, but in the end, I really feel like nothing will change. I'm not really sure how to approach the subject. I don't want to do it over the phone, or worse, by email. However, I have been unable to get her to hang out with me in at least a couple of months, if not longer. Anyone been in a similar situation? If you made it this far, thanks for sticking with it! I feel better already getting this out there and off my chest.

Re: I need advice, please!*Sorry so long!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    First of all, that is why you wait until about 6-9 mos before the wedding to pick the bridesmaids. Bc things like this do happen and friendships change. It is not okay to un-ask someone to be a bridesmaid, but in this situation, I would think that you probably should get some sort of comfirmation that she is still going to do it. I see you are getting married later this year. I would probably just try to ask her out to lunch or something and try to bring it up there. I would not worry about the past or her personal life and issues. If she wants to talk about it, fine. But I would not bring it up. I would also get a feel from her when you meet her in person if she still acts like she wants to be a part of your wedding or not. If it goes well, you could set up a time to go dress shopping with her.

Also, probably a year and a half ago when you asked her there was nothing to do for your wedding. Plus, she is not obligated to do anything but get her dress, wear it and show up. Throwing bridal showers and bach parties, are just nice of them to do, but in no way, are they required. I hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Options
    hidlynnrhidlynnr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say first of all, force yourself on her to talk about your friendship. Stop in and say it's necessary that you talk. Then ask her if she still wants to be in the wedding. Tell her that it's obvious that your friendship has changed and you would understand if she doesn't want to be in the wedding. You don't want that kind of drama around you on your wedding day. I had a friend like this- one who was really sneaky and never wanted to hang out. I tried to force myself on her for a little bit but that didn't last long. Finally I realized it was her loss and removed myself from her because she only brought me down. You have to have people around you that pull you up, not make you feel bad about yourself- especially on your wedding day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You have to force her to have a conversation about this. Go into the conversation with an open mind, maybe she has a lot of issues that she doesn't feel comfortable talking about. Maybe she is dating the male coworker and doesn't want anyone to find out? Regardless, you need to make a decision if you want her in the wedding from this conversation. Just know that if you do un-ask her, the friendship will be ruined.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know I hate confrontation as well and I know it is a no-no but I think you might get a more honest opinion for her not in person.  Either way you chose to go i think some kind of conversation needs to be had.  Tell her how much you miss her and tell her how it makes you feel when she doesn't want to spend time with you, maybe she doesn't realize that she is doing it or how it makes you feel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards