Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Trying to convince FI: Friday wedding

So we have a very small budget, and the more research I do, the more I am realizing that we can save a ton having the wedding on a Friday, but FI isnt convinced (he doesn't alway like to think outside the box).  Are any of you having/had a Friday wedding and have an idea as to how much you saved?  I got an idea from the ladies on the budget board, but FI kind of blew it off cause they "aren't in our area"  Thanks so much for the info!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image 203 Invited so far!
image 142 Are ready to party!
image 61 Will be missing out!
image 0 Are MIA!

Re: Trying to convince FI: Friday wedding

• Options
    jcamm11jcamm11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's going to depend entirely on the venue and vendors you choose.  Do your research.  Also, be aware that you are likely going to have more people who aren't able to make your wedding that would have been able to come had it been a Saturday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having a Friday wedding & this is what I can think of right now...

DJ - Received $400 off due to Friday wedding & location of reception
    Photographer - Received 10% off due to Friday wedding

And honestly, I think that's it.  We're catering our own food, & having pie instead of cake.  A lot of vendors are starting to not offer Friday discounts, because Friday weddings are becoming more popular. 

We decided to go with a Friday because we really wanted our reception venue & only Friday's were open in the month we wanted.  Getting some of the breaks we did on pricing were little perks, but not the deciding point for us.

GL convincing FI & you could also look into Sunday's too!  = )
  • Options
    maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You also save a lot (sometimes even more) for Sunday weddings. My wedding was on a Sunday last October, and we saved about $1000 overall, I think.
  • Options
    aligrossaligross member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

If your FI is really set on having a Saturday wedding, look into "off season" wedding dates on Saturday - we are getting married on the 29th of October and becuase we were so close to the November 1st "off season" date for weddings most of our vendors gave us awesome deals including
    $650 off DJ
    $150 off Ceiling Draping/Decorating
    $1000 off photographer
    20% off Videographer... etc

We haven't paid full price for anything except our florist and DOC and my budget is still under our estimate of $10,000 for 300 people...

Off season weddings are typically November - March and negotiate, negotiate, negotiate!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're saving $2500 off of catering at the PEC.  The prices are different now but Friday and Sunday weddings are still cheaper. 
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would agree that for a more budget friendly wedding in MN, go for the timing between Nov-Mar. I'm getting married in Jan and many vendors are willing to offer discounts during that month!
  • Options
    meaganandchadmeaganandchad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My FI and I are getting married at The Mermaid in Mounds View on a Friday in August. It definitely wasn't my first choice because of the bar attached but the bar and hotel attached are becoming a great thing. The food & beverage minimum is half of what it is for a Saturday (Ours was $3,000 for 200 guests-it goes up and down depending on number of guests) and we are getting married in the "tent" and the ceremony-and everything we use for the ceremony is completely free. It was a big bonus for us. They take their cake cutting fees off, give you a free champagne toast, and a couple of other free things just for having your wedding on a Friday. Friday saved us a ton of money and allowed me to spend money elsewear such as a more expensive DJ and more on little things like my shoes that I wanted to splurge on.

Photobucket
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards