Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Cowles Conservatory/Sculpture Garden

Hello all,

I'm a recently engaged student on a really tight budget, and we we're looking at having the wedding/reception at the Sculpture Garden, which is where we got engaged.  Ideally, we would like to have it in Cowles Conservatory.  Does anyone know of someone who has had or is having their wedding in the Sculpture Garden and/or Cowles Conservatory?

I've tried to get in contact with the Minneapolis Parks and Rec permit person, and she (frankly) was rude and did not know answers to a lot of my questions, responding that those answers would be on the website.  The website, however, consists of about 3 paragraphs stating that you can basically have a wedding there and to contact them for more information. :-/  I'm a wee bit frustrated because we have our heart set on this location.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions or could get me in contact with someone who may that would be most appreciated!

Re: Cowles Conservatory/Sculpture Garden

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! Perhaps try contacting the Walker, since they may have a better contact for the sculpture garden. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got married there in April!  Here's what you need to know:

Since you're planning to have your ceremony and reception there, you can get a permit for 3:00-12:00 for $1,000.  We only had the ceremony there, which cost us $500 for our permit.  The space can seat up to 100.  You'll have to find your own vendor for tables/chairs unless your caterer provides those.  Your contract is good only for the Palm Room, which means the 2 long hallways are still open to the public.  The Parks Board will have someone there to stand guard so you don't get any crashers in the Palm Room during your contracted time.

You will not be able to get in early to set up.  Everything has to be set up and torn down within your contract period.

The caterers they work with are 3 Sons, Prom, D'Amico, and Chow Girls.  I'm not sure if they use any others.  It's the same for all of the Minneapolis Parks sites.  Prom holds the liquor license, so they're serving your liquor no matter what.  They did have some incentives for you if you also use them for catering, but I've heard their food isn't the best when you compare it to Chow Girls or 3 Sons.

You probably won't be able to move any of the potted palms around, so you'll have to work around them.  You will have use of the 8 metal benches on site, including the ones in the hallways.

I don't think you can get a full band in for the reception, but they do have electric outlets and we didn't have any problem with our 3 musicians setting up their guitar, keyboard, and mics.

If you're doing a rehearsal, you're going to have to work around the space being open to the public unless you buy a permit for it.  We did ours the day before (in April) from 5:30-7:00 and it worked out fine.  I highly suggest a rehearsal, since the space is so unique with the pool to work around.  It took us ages to figure out how to space out the benches.

Included with the Conservatory, you'll be able to use the entire Sculpture Garden for photos without having to buy another permit, as long as you're within your time.  Even if you're slightly outside of it, it's really not that big of a deal.  Remember, though, that everyone and their uncle will be able to see your ceremony (glass building and all) and you'll have no privacy in the Sculpture Garden.  Strangers will take pictures of you.  It will suck, but it's worth it for such a cool space.

Parking - if you want to pay for your guests' parking, you can buy tokens at the Parks Dept building up next to Broadway Pizza in Nordeast.  They're $3.50 apiece and are good for the entire day.  As long as you get tokens, unused ones are refundable.  If not and you have to buy hang tags, they're the same cost but not refundable.  Let your guests know what the situation is so you don't waste money on parking that you don't need to.  Most of ours parked on the street and we wasted $85 on those damn hang tags because we couldn't return them. (still bitter about it - it's not our fault their meter was broken that day)

If you haven't been able to reach her yet, the person you want to talk to is Gloria Horowitz.  I can find her direct number if you need it - just PM me.  She can be difficult at times, but she really did make everything work out just fine.  She knows her sh!t.

If you have any more questions, let me know!  I've kind of become an expert on the place.

HTH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards