Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

PEC Brides- worried about the construction on University Ave?!

My wedding is this September at the Profile Event Center, and we just drove by it this weekend, the construction is really creeping up. It looks terrible and they wont be finished for a few years I'm guessing.

I am nervous about access to the PEC and it being a complete eyesore. If I'd had known about the light rail construction it may have been a decison factor when choosing PEC.
Anyone else concerned?

Re: PEC Brides- worried about the construction on University Ave?!

• Options
    MarcyLTMarcyLT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a PEC bride, but used to work for an organization that is also being affected by this construction. I would make sure you include on your website (and/or invitation if possible) some kind of disclaimer of some kind like, "Please allow for extra time when traveling to PEC, as construction on University Avenue could increase travel time up to XX minutes."
    New Name, Old Nestie Blog: Career Girl Network
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you're aware of this website but it will give you updates regarding the light rail construction.

http://www.metrocouncil.org/transportation/ccorridor/centralcorridor.asp

I'm not a bride but my workplace is on University so it has impacted my commute.  My suggestion would be to print the info from this site and hand it out at your ceremony to your guests. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I work at the U of M. I think that area should be pretty safe by September.  (Better than if you were trying to get married at Coffman, or even McNamara.)  I'd be more worried about the I-94 construction this summer (Huron Blvd is going to SUCK for awhile.)

I'd also take advantage of the U's maps

and here's the info about the 94 construction (94 will have a full closure at certain points.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh- and for the rest of you... the CCLRT project isn't going to be complete until 2013, so there's really no way to avoid it.  and, once it's open, you'll still have a lightrail to deal with ;)  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Sept 3 bride at PEC and I'm trying to not let myself stress about it. There's really nothing we can do about it, unfortunately
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My reception is next month at the PEC.  I knew going into this that road construction in Minnesota during the summer is a given, so I am not too worried.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_pec-brides-worried-construction-university-ave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:9418fdb8-c241-45cf-a95a-10760ede1273Post:acf3cfa7-f78e-4af1-b2ba-27fc8a13c50b">Re: PEC Brides- worried about the construction on University Ave?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My reception is next month at the PEC.  I knew going into this that road construction in Minnesota during the summer is a given, so I am not too worried.
    Posted by kmr333[/QUOTE]

<div>Not to be super pessimistic or anything, but this isn't just normal Minnesota summer construction. It's a mess and a half on campus already. There are going to be massive road closures (including 94 and 280 and Huron Blvd- the exit you need to take for PEC.) Yes, it's manageable, but I just worry about people going "eh, no big deal."</div>
  • Options
    Bejohnson5Bejohnson5 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually have some great news on this issue! I was just at the PEC tasting event last Wednesday and talked to Heather about it. She said that actually the part of University Ave the profile is on will actually be completely avoided by the light rail construction. I don't remember the exact specifics of the plan, but the light rail will basically come from st. paul and a couple blocks before the PEC will go diagonally up to TCF Stadium and then back down to hook up with Washington Ave. 

Don't quote me exactly on the specifics of it, but Heather completely assured me that the street out in front of the PEC as well as the parking lot kiddie corner from the building where the guests park will NOT be affected at all by the construction. I hope that puts your mind a little at ease! If you want more info, just give Heather a call and she'll explain it much better! :)

Wedding Date: 6/30/12 (Casablanca Hall)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is an old thread.

Yes, PP- technically that small stretch of University Avenue is not being torn up for the light rail (it detours north for awhile, before hopping back down to University.)

You can visit: www.centralcorridor.org for more info. (Or http://lightrail.umn.edu)

However. The bigger concern is how people will get to campus in the first place. Just make sure you check the sites above and/or http://dot.state.mn.us/roadwork/current.html so you're prepared.  I believe 94 is down a lane for the rest of summer (or the year?), and there will be weekends where HURON BLVD will be closed completely.  Otherwise, I think that's also going to be down to one lane most of the summer (year/) too.  It will be a massive pain in the ass to get to campus- especially that little corner where PEC is located.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Steph. We were just there for that tasting, too, and getting to the PEC from the west was really annoying. Not only that but the road in front of our hotel block (the Radisson University a couple of blocks away) was completely shut down.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    K10ByrdK10Byrd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone. I will just have to put specific directions on our website as it gets closer. I just hate that people have to be inconvenienced and will probably be late to the ceremony because its near the U as well. But what are ya gonna do? It'll be fine I'm sure.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_pec-brides-worried-construction-university-ave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:9418fdb8-c241-45cf-a95a-10760ede1273Post:2abd531a-91c8-43ee-878a-41e9521103d0">Re: PEC Brides- worried about the construction on University Ave?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone. I will just have to put specific directions on our website as it gets closer. I just hate that people have to be inconvenienced and will probably be late to the ceremony because its near the U as well. But what are ya gonna do? It'll be fine I'm sure.
    Posted by K10Byrd[/QUOTE]

<div>If you need help giving directions at all, let me know :) That's part of my job at the U right now, kind of.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Legg- that's Washington Ave. It's closed in front of Radisson forever. (for. ev. er.- sandlot, anyone?)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards