Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Random and perhaps stupid Question?

Do both parties have to be present when getting the marriage license?

Re: Random and perhaps stupid Question?

• LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depends on the county.  In Dakota, no.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • LinzstyleLinzstyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe in Ramsey, yes.  Just check your countys website...should tell you the answer there.  =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm...just went on the Dakota County site and it said no. Scott county says you can, but you need some sort of supplemental application, which of course they don't explain beyond saying that.
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and Ramsey you can do the supplemental application too, so only one person has to be present there with that.
  • edited December 2011
    Washington Co, as of Aug 1 both parties must be present.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're in Anoka and we both had to be present.
    imageimage
    Born 37w4d on 09/27/11 - 5lbs 10oz 19 inches
  • edited December 2011
    I just went through this since I'm living in Chicago and both FI and I weren't going to be in MN on a week day until 2 days before the wedding.  Basically I went in to the Dakota county service center and signed the form (I had pre-filled it out online).  The lady there made a copy of the form and put that along with an instruction sheet and another form to get notarized and had me address an envelope to FI.  (She said she could have faxed it, but we dont' have a fax machine.)  We received it in Chicago a couple days later and FI went and got it notarized and everything and then we sent it back.  Now we are waiting to receive the license in the mail.  Hopefully everything was filled out properly, because the lady at Dakota Country told me that usually she has to send it back to get re-done.  I'm definitely mailbox stalking!
  • LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_random-perhaps-stupid-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:971098fe-a333-4fbd-84b1-ec8964d46df1Post:c7080894-4803-4d27-8989-4abf5dfdfa52">Re: Random and perhaps stupid Question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm...just went on the Dakota County site and it said no. Scott county says you can, but you need some sort of supplemental application, which of course they don't explain beyond saying that.
    Posted by Bimbi284[/QUOTE]

Must have changed since I got mine a year ago!  Sorry for any miss info - I'd just scour the websites and see what you can do.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • golden1215golden1215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hennepin county yes, anoka county is supposed to be no (even though I see the post on here that someone said yes to anoka...)
    edited December 2011
    Theophania, thanks for that info! FI and I live in different states right now too, which complicates things further (I'm in Chicago, Illinois, he's in Bowling Green, OH). Nice to know there's an option to mail it and stuff.
  • edited December 2011
    No problem.  Good luck with figuring it all out.  :)

FI just emailed me today and said we got the license in the mail today - Yay!!
  • edited December 2011
    We just applied for our license a few weeks ago and we both had to be there, it changed in Anoka county as of August 1, 2009...

Also, I had thought you had to apply in the county the ceremony was being performed but our application stated this:

"You may apply in any county of the state regardless of where you live or intend to have the marriage ceremony performed. The marriage license can only be used within the geographical borders of Minnesota."

Not sure this applies for all countys though...I only looked into Anoka, since that is where we live and the ceremony is being performed.
    imageimage
    Born 37w4d on 09/27/11 - 5lbs 10oz 19 inches
  • edited December 2011
    My close friends just had to go through this.. And yes both partys do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards