Ohio-Columbus

Wedding Pet Peeves/Things You Hate

This is a spinoff from a post I saw on NEY (shoutout GPB).

What are some of your pet peeves at weddings? Things you hate?

Re: Wedding Pet Peeves/Things You Hate

• osuchica85osuchica85 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unity candles, sand ceremony (whatever it is called), >5 bridesmaids, and hydrangeas. Unfortunately my sister is planning on having hydrangeas. I don't know why they bother me so much.
  • osuchica85osuchica85 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh...and fondant. It's nasty.
  • edited December 2011
    - Buffets that only use one side of the table so things take FOREVER
    - Not having assigned tables
    - Being unable to hear/see what's going on
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Not having assigned tables.... OMG last wedding I attended did not have assigned tables and I ended up having to sit with complete strangers even though I knew people there.... Super awkward and no fun....
  • edited December 2011
    1. Receiving lines with the entire wedding party. They take forever and I usually don't know most of the people and you're forced to have really conversations.
    2. The waiting. There's so many times you have to wait till the real celebration can begin and you can spend time with the happy couple.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    when the bride and groom don't do a recieving line/or greet people at the reception it makes it feel kind of inpersonal and you feel gyped I think.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    awesome! keep em coming!

i hate long gaps between ceremony and reception (we will have a short one before our cocktails start but anything over an hour or two drives me nuts). 

also i hate cake smashing. i love cake and i hate to see it wasted.
  • sep72fendrsep72fendr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. Receiving lines with all the bridal party and the parents. I just came to see the bride and groom, I don't care about the rest of the BP (insensitive, I know).
    2. Long gaps between ceremony and reception.
    3. Small dance floors (I like space so I can move!)
    4. Ginormous bridal parties

That's all I can think of for the moment. Starting to get ideas of what NOT to do MissOwl? lol
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• edited December 2011
    haha kinda i guess. i just think these threads are hilarious. 
  • edited December 2011
    I have more....

- "Reception immediately following" with no food/drink available when you arrive, and the bride/groom take an hour to show up
    - The bar closing during dinner/every single bridal dance (not even water/soda available)
    - Bridal party getting "special" treatment (ie drinks available to them when the bar is closed to everyone else)
    - Separating the bridal party from their dates
    - Disgusting bathrooms

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto bar closing during dinner..... very annoying. I like drinks with dinner and it seems silly to close everything down while you eat... Especially if it is a buffet...
  • edited December 2011
    I may be in the minority here but head tables annoy me.... especially if you are part of said table and your poor date is elsewhere alone and doesn't know a single person (yes this happened to me I'm still shocked that my man continued to love me after that night haha j/k)
  • edited December 2011
    Osuchica85, you'd totally hate my wedding with the sand ceremony and roses and hydrangeas centerpieces!

I for the life of me can't stand receiving lines!  I think they were created by the devil.  As a guest it's awful just sitting there waiting to be released for your turn and as a bride, as much I love my high heels, I couldn't imagine standing there in one spot greeting all 150 guests.   Just awful.  
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm...I'll try to think of some.

1)  Roses/Calla lilies, I just feel they're so over done and overplayed
    2)  The traditional wedding march song
    3)  The awful food.  It always has to be injected with something or encrusted with something else.
    4)  Head Tables
    5)  Songs during the ceremony.  Music is fine, I just hate having to sit through a singer (usually a family member with a mediocre voice) sing through an entire song.  It's agonizing!
    6)  The bouquet toss (quite annoying in my mind)
    7)   The garter bit (always found that rather disturbing)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I don't like the wedding march eithe! I want to walk down the aisle to bon Jovi it's my life! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    There will be no traditional music in our ceremony =)

pet peeves...
    I might offend some people with these but I don't mean to!

1. Receiving lines... BLECH!
    2. Gaps between ceremony and reception... do your pictures beforehand
    3. Being overly superstitious... Look up the origin of not seeing each other before the ceremony and then make a compelling arguement as to WHY you can't do pictures beforehand so people don't have to wait on you.
    4. Father/Daughter dances to Butterfly Kisses... if I have to see a dad and bride dance to that song ONE MORE TIME, I might vomit.  I get it, it's a sweet song... but there are five hundred fifty-nine million more songs that would be just as, if not more, significant and touching to dance with your dad to.  This song is way overdone.  I hate most of the cliche dances... but idk why this one grinds on me so much...
    5. Cheap buffet food.
    6. Christmas lights...
    7. the white plastic arches for an altar... even worse if there are christmas lights on it.  those scream cheap and trashy to me =x  IMO you're better off not doing anything than doing one of those...

I'll stop now =P
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Welp.....some of you would not like my wedding.We are doing roses, and having the bar closed during dinner (because, we can only have an "open bar" for 4 hours, so we have to close it for an hour.  But, now, I may see if that means we have to close everything done for an hour.  Also, we will make announcements that the bar will close during dinner, so people get a heads up and get some drinks.

Now....some of my pet peeves:
    - I don't hate the garter toss, but, please, be APPROPRIATE!  Your grandma is watching!!
    - Receiving lines when you have a 250+ guest wedding.  Seriously, no one wants to stand in line for that long.  Then you are going to take pictures? UGH, I just want some food!!!
    - Long gaps where nothing is provided in the meantime.  Have a cocktail hour.  Even if it is just cheese and crackers and lemonade.
    - Ceremonies that don't start within 15 minutes of the alleged start time. 

That's all I can think of right now :-)
  • edited December 2011
    you ladies are too funny!  i may also offend some brides, but mine are:

GAPS - just had a three hour gap at the wedding i went to on saturday - wth?

the music being too loud during dinner

the chicken dance

light blue and pink color combos - really? it's not a freaking baby shower

silk flowers - real vs. fake costs about the same, why not just get real flowers?  they make the place smell oh so lovely

bad wait staff

ugly bridesmaids dresses.  do they REALLY have to be so matchy-matchy?

uneven bridal parties

summer weddings in Ohio in general - i always melt, the men suffer in their suits.  Mainly all the Catholic ceremonies that have to take place mid day in the peak of heat and humidity.
  • KellyRVTKellyRVT member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here we go!

1. Long gaps- although this usually allows me time to go out to eat since I know I won't be able to eat anything at the wedding (<~~~vegan)
    2. The Dollar Dance. Totally tacky and it makes people feel obligated to do it.
    3. Receiving lines with the whole party. As a guest at a wedding I didn't like meeting a whole bunch of strangers face to face, and I know it was awkward for them. And then someone ahead of you takes forever and you are stuck trying to make small talk with someone.
    4. The Macarena
    5. Hokey Pokey
    6. The Train
    7. The garter toss. I really don't want my parents watching their new son-in-law sticking his head under my dress. We are NOT doing this at our wedding.

Question: So many of you don't like separating the bridal party's dates. Are you having the dates join the head table, doing a Tuscan style or just a sweet heart's table?
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    sweetheart table ;)  i think it will be nice to have a few moments with just my lovely husband during dinner, just the two of us.  Also, i don't want to separate our attendants from their dates and family.  I just want EVERYONE to enjoy themselves at our reception.  I love the tuscan table set up, we just don't have the room for it with our venue and number of guests.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://columbus.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_wedding-pet-peevesthings-hate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:69e3c062-dfb8-4429-90db-c20253aab1abPost:3d72c911-7b3a-480b-9b9f-61991436dab2">Re: Wedding Pet Peeves/Things You Hate</a>:
    [QUOTE]There will be no traditional music in our ceremony =) pet peeves... I might offend some people with these but I don't mean to! 1. Receiving lines... BLECH! 2. Gaps between ceremony and reception... do your pictures beforehand 3. Being overly superstitious... Look up the origin of not seeing each other before the ceremony and then make a compelling arguement as to WHY you can't do pictures beforehand so people don't have to wait on you. <strong>4. Father/Daughter dances to Butterfly Kisses... if I have to see a dad and bride dance to that song ONE MORE TIME, I might vomit.  I get it, it's a sweet song... but there are five hundred fifty-nine million more songs that would be just as, if not more, significant and touching to dance with your dad to.  This song is way overdone.  I hate most of the cliche dances... but idk why this one grinds on me so much... </strong>5. Cheap buffet food. 6. Christmas lights... 7. the white plastic arches for an altar... even worse if there are christmas lights on it.  those scream cheap and trashy to me =x  IMO you're better off not doing anything than doing one of those... I'll stop now =P
    Posted by katy0293[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING THIS!!!  You have no idea how much I can't stand this song now because of the father/daughter dance.  It's such a beautifully written song and I totally understand why people dance to it, but come on!  To me, this song is right up there with the married couple doing their first dance to At Last by Etta James (snore) or the bridal party entrance at the reception coming out to Let's Get It Started or I Gotta Feeling (shoot me please!) from the Black Eyed Peas.  These songs are for sure on my do not play or you will be fired on the spot list.

</div>
  • lstirn327lstirn327 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    * the dollar dance - I can not stand the dollar dance

* the garter toss

* groups dance the YMCA, Electric slide gross

* Bad tacky/ cheesy DJ's

* long speeches that become story after story that no one else understands.
  • edited December 2011
    Gosh I feel like everything that everyone hates is apart of my wedding.

Things I hate

Not being able to see what is going on

Lack of dancing

the garter toss (if it is done classy it is ok)

I have been to very little weddings so I don't really know what is good or bad, unfortunately we have a long break between our wedding and I doubt we can move it up. We moved it back an hour because of my mom's suggestion and now I wish is was right where we had left it.
  • edited December 2011
    i pretty much always hate djs. then again, my musical taste is like a grandma/slutty ho. i love big band stuff and shake your a@# stuff. only one of those is appropriate for a wedding. 

• edited December 2011
    1. I have to agree with everyone on receiving lines.  Too much standing and waiting.

2. I might catch some heat for this, but unruly ring bearers/flower girls.  I've been to too many weddings where the kids were way too young to listen to directions and ended up crying/being carried/crying while being carried down the aisle.  I understand why some churches require the kids to be at least 5 years old. 

3. Long and/or bad speeches.  I was at a wedding where a member of the BP gave a speech and said something about the bride and groom fighting a lot.  So.  Awkward.

4. YMCA, the Chicken Dance, the Train

And I think we'll be doing a head table at ours.  The majority of the BP knows each other, and all of  the dates/spouses will have other people they know (and I'll make sure they're seated with them). 
  • edited December 2011
    Sitting separately from husband if he's in the BP, most line dances, receiving lines, cheesy DJs, bad music, bad food, buffets where you have to wait forever to get food and by the time you do the food is cold, dollar dances, disorganization/poor planning, and (I might have some people mad at me for this comment) overt tackiness. (There's a difference between being frugal and classy than being incredibly cheap and it shows. Cheap chic can be very beautiful and your guests wouldn't know the difference.) 

I wish we didn't have a huge gap (due to having a Catholic mass and an evening reception) but we only had a 2 hour gap. Most of the people that were local went home and the OOT guests hung out together because they had not seen each other in years, so I guess it worked out. Plus, most of our family members are used to gaps between the ceremony and reception.

EDIT: I also have a pet peeve when weddings are obviously sports-themed. It's one thing to subtly tie in the Buckeyes, but to go all out is a little crazy to me. It's your wedding, but it's not a Bowl game.  Sorry, but I had to get that off my chest!

• edited December 2011
    I think I'll add useless favors.....I see no point and it seams like a big waste of time and money. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_wedding-pet-peevesthings-hate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:112Discussion:69e3c062-dfb8-4429-90db-c20253aab1abPost:bf53bdff-eb27-4d50-bfd8-d76d2a618c3a">Re: Wedding Pet Peeves/Things You Hate</a>:
    [QUOTE] EDIT: I also have a pet peeve when weddings are obviously sports-themed. It's one thing to subtly tie in the Buckeyes, but to go all out is a little crazy to me. It's your wedding, but it's not a Bowl game.  Sorry, but I had to get that off my chest!
    Posted by green795[/QUOTE]

AGREED! I'm a huge Ohio state fan, but I definitely think that trying to tie in too much osu/sports stuff is tacky... Why not just add a few buckeye candies to the oot bags or something???
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_wedding-pet-peevesthings-hate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:69e3c062-dfb8-4429-90db-c20253aab1abPost:d79fe2f0-4891-4197-8ea9-6c1fc5d064a7">Re: Wedding Pet Peeves/Things You Hate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Pet Peeves/Things You Hate : THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING THIS!!!  You have no idea how much I can't stand this song now because of the father/daughter dance.  It's such a beautifully written song and I totally understand why people dance to it, but come on!  To me, this song is right up there with the married couple doing their first dance to At Last by Etta James (snore) or the bridal party entrance at the reception coming out to Let's Get It Started or I Gotta Feeling (shoot me please!) from the Black Eyed Peas.  These songs are for sure on my do not play or you will be fired on the spot list.
    Posted by kiyamurph[/QUOTE]

<div>HAHA! Totally agree!! =D</div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    You mean you don't want brutus Buckeye to come marry you and take pics with all your guests? lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards