Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

wedding officiant etiquette?

Hi All,

We've gone to see a therapist, who happens to have a Masters in Divinity, to help with some conflict/resolution a few months ago.  Now we're looking for a wedding officiant/ministerand pre-marital counseling. We've inquired about starting these sessions with him.  Is it ok to ask if he's a wedding officiant, as well? I'm puzzled on how to "ask" or what's the right way to go about finding one.  Please help!

Thanks,
MT

Re: wedding officiant etiquette?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You could go slightly passive (it's a good MN trait. ;) ) and just mention that you are looking for an officiant and ask if he has any recommendations?
  • Options
    aligrossaligross member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Being that a lot of my good friends have their Masters in Divinity (and it was still odd asking 2 of my best freinds if they would marry us....)  - I think it is perfectly fine to just outright ask the person. You could explain that they assisted you and FI or whomever in the time of need and you enjoyed them and really are just curious if they are licenced to perform weddings in the state of MN and if so would he/she be willing to perform your wedding. If they have an email that's how I would go about it but that's just because I don't want to be shot down in their office (ha!). Then follow with what Steph said and just simply ask if they had any ideas of good officiants in the area if they are unable to perform your wedding.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it would be weird to ask!  Just say you're looking for one and you're wondering if he is.
    BFP #3 July 2012 = EDD 4/1/2013
    BFP #2 May 2012 = loss at 4w3d
    BFP #1 January 2003 = 9 year old son

imageimage
    ? My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    VeittobeVeittobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If he doesn't work out you can look into Pastor Ron Sykes from Cornerstone Church of Blaine.  He performed our wedding and pre-marital counseling classes.  He also has offered "marriage building" classes as well.  We really like him.
    Mike and Kelly 10.01.10
    MSP Signature Challenge:Favorite Registry Item=Wine Cellar
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    BIO!! Updated 06/20/10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards