Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Cheap Photographers?

Anyone know of any cheap, but decent photographers?

Looking at my budget, I'm having a hard time justfying paying $1,200 or more for a photographer. Yes, I want good pictures... but $1,200 worth of good pictures? I'm not so sure.

Two of my aunts and one of my uncles are incredibly talented professional/semi-professional photographers that I know will be clamoring to take lots of great shots during the day. One in particular actually credits me with giving her her start in photography (I was 6. It had something to do with a dept store, a giant hat, and me convincing her that she should put my picture in the local paper. It's a long story.)

My mother has suggested that I may not even need to hire a photog at all, but I don't want my aunts and uncle to feel OBLIGATED to take pictures and to treat my wedding day like a job. So essentially I want paid, professional back-up. I may not even need them for the whole wedding. I could have them take professional shots of the ceremony and some posed shots after that, but I may not need them for the reception.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Cheap Photographers?

• edited December 2011
    Check out Render Photography, http://renderphotography.blogspot.com, I have e-pics and wedding pics in my bio. She's been in the business for awhile, but this is her first season out on her own so her prices are really really reasonable. She was great to work with and we both love how our pics turned out. I can't wait to do our Rock the Dress session this summer sometime.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Leah Maria photography - she'd be in that range.  Her prices are low because she's a budding photographer but does great work!    http://leahmariaphotography.showitsite.com/

Also check out posts throughout the board in the past month - this topic has come up, and there are some great suggestions listed there.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • amberh0515amberh0515 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Callie V. She's $1800 for all day service and engagement shots!
  • maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Callie V is way more than I would want to pay.... but Render and Leah Maria are definite possibilities.

I took your advice, LittleSweetie and looked at some of the older threads (I suppose I should've thought to do that first...) and saw some other promising options.

We won't need engagement shots, because I think one of my relatives has offered to do those. I'm hoping that if I tell a photog I don't need e-pics or a full 6-8 hour shoot... I may be able to bring them down a bit on the price.
  • LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Totally!  And definitely ask about what they can do outside of the packages that are listed on their sites.    Be prepared that they might want to keep your date open for full wedding packages instead of a 3-4 hour shoot though, especially in October on a popular date.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    You could also check out Sarah Ciccone. She is still new in the wedding photography business, so her prices are reasonable and I think she does have smaller packages if you don't need 6-8 hours or an engagement session. FI and I did our epics with her in Sept. and love her. We will be using her for our wedding in May.
    http://www.sarahcicconephotography.com/
  • schmoodschmood member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Mallory Nelson (www.mallorynelson.com) and she is $1200 as well, for the whole day. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dana Schoppe.  dschoppe.smugmug.com
  • treschic4treschic4 member
    edited December 2011
    Definitely check out www.snapgrinphoto.com! Not only do they do an amazing job, but they are completely in your price range. HTH!
  • IzzygrimIzzygrim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely second Sarah Ciccone. We have met with her and booked with her, but haven't had our e-pics yet. I'm still super excited though because I LOVE the pics on her website and her prices are fantastic, well within your budget.
  • edited December 2011
    283 Photography offers a basic ceremony and formal portraits of your wedding day for $1200, which comes with a high res DVD of the images and more.  The prices are on the lower end at the moment, because it is just becoming a full time business, as it has been part time for about 1.5 years now!

• kkaew816kkaew816 member
    edited December 2011

I hate the word cheap, I prefer reasonable, lol.

Check out Moments by Kelly Marie
    http://kellymariephotos.blogspot.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards