Ohio-Columbus

Alcohol

Hi all! I am coming up to Cbus soon for my sept. 17 wedding. We are getting married at the venue at smith brothers and will be bringing our own alcohol. We were debating getting some down here in FL and driving up with it but I think we will be short on space. That leaves us buying alcohol up there the week before the wedding. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a large amount of alcohol (90 people's worth). TIA
BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Alcohol

• edited December 2011
    What kind of alcohol are you looking for?  Just beer/wine?  Or hard liquor, too?

Our reception venue is also BYOB.  We're only doing beer/wine/soda, no liquor.  My mom bought a few cases of wine from Kroger when they were on sale, plus there's an additional discount for each case you buy.  I believe you can also mix/match within each case.  My fiance is a beer fanatic, so he's looking at more craft/specialty beers, and he's taking care of all of those arrangements.

If you're looking at serving liquor, I don't really think you'll need mass quantities of those for 90 people.  Maybe just one or two bottles of vodka, rum, etc.  There are plenty of online calculators to help determine how much of each type of beverage to buy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I love the wine and beer selection at Andersons. There's one in Dublin and one in Reynoldsburg. They have a ton of choices and usually have great sales, not to mention the case discount on wine is mix and match.

Trader Joes is also a great place to get wine and craft beers. I know there's one here in Dublin too and one at Easton. They have their own label called Charles Schwab affectionally called 2 buck Chuck due to it's super cheap price (although its really closer to 4 bucks a bottle now) and it's pretty great for such a good price!

Hope this helps!! Feel free to PM me if I can answer any more questions or anything :-)
  • edited December 2011
    There is a place in Newport kY, called party source express, that has discount alcohol, I think beer is the same but the liquor is cheaper.
  • cml214cml214 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did the same thing bringing our own alcohol - I looked a lot of places, but finally settled on Giant Eagle grocery store - the Giant Eagle Marketplace in Kingsdale actually has an event planning desk, who took the order for us.   You can pick it up whenever you want (day of, day before, etc.) or they will deliver to your venue for $25.   When we went to pick it up they just had it all waiting for us on a cart, very easy! 
  • edited December 2011
    Most grocery stores, including Giant Eagle, Kroger's, and World Market give a case discount. Gentile's in Grandview specialize event and bulk sales, and I know they are recommended by many of the BYO alcohol venues around Columbus. If you are going to travel with alcohol across state lines, just be careful when bringing it, because some states consider it against the law. Just don't leave it in plain sight and don't drive crazy enough to get pulled over. 
  • edited December 2011
    Also, trader joes has bottles of wine for 3.27 (i think) my girls and I tasted it and it taste pretty good for 3.27 and they also offer the case discount,
  • edited December 2011
    FWIW, its illegal to transport liquor/alcohol across state lines.  I realize this isnt the first thing a cop is oging to look for or pull you over for, but whe you approach party quantities, it gets iffy.
    image 210 Invited
    image 140 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 38 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'd like to give a plug for using your smaller, local wine merchants here in Columbus. Because of Ohio liquor laws, grocery stores sell alcohol for the same price as smaller stores, unless they mark it up (by choice). So often, you can get the same wine for  cheaper or the same price at the small independent places. And the wine is often better. :) My FI owns a local wine/beer store and loves to help couples pick out their wedding wines and will special order anything they want that he can get, and he'll work in any budget, and he'll even deliver it! And you get the 10% case discount, even for mixed cases. Many other places will do the same or similar (most don't deliver). I don't want to break any rules by posting more about his place, but please feel free to PM me if you want more info. Even if you don't go to his place, I urge you to support the other "little guys" out there! :)

And to answer the OP, if you need liquor, definitely go to Party Source in KY. It's definitely cheaper than in Ohio. Although as someone pointed out, it is illegal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards