Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

50s theme shoot

We're getting our E-pics done in Aug so I'm scouting out places to do the shoot. Our photog is a friend from Iowa, so I am trying to help her out. We want to do a 50s look. Besides the 50s Grill, does anybody know of any local places that would match this? I hardly ever leave the suburbs (hate downtown driving!!!), so I'm kind of at a loss.
Photobucket

Re: 50s theme shoot

• edited December 2011
    Mickey's Diner in St. Paul!
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just going to suggest Mickey's too.  The one in downtown St. Paul.  What about a roller rink?That's kind of 50s. 

Downtown St. Paul behind Excel by Landmark and St. Paul HOtel there's park that from 7:30 - 10:30pm on Thursday all summer they do sock-hop kind of dancing (my co-worker was just telling me about this).  It would be a night-shoot, but it might be super fun.

You could go to one of those drive-in restaurnats like Dari-Ette Drive In on Minnehaha in St. Paul or maybe even the drive-in theater out in the Woodbury area.
  • chou_chouchou_chou member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wagner's/Galaxy in St. Louis Park.  It's a drive-in eatery, very cute! 
    Porky's on University in St. Paul -- very vintage and you're almost always guaranteed some hot rods will be around (assuming it's a weekend or evening time)!
    Snuffy's Malt Shop on Cleveland in St. Paul/Highland Park -- they've got a juke box and the classic diner counter....not much has changed here in a long time, could make for cute photos!
  • jtothelee216jtothelee216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh -- good idea, Heather.

There's a drive-in movie theater in Cottage Grove, too.
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's a furniture store on University (near Snelling) called Swank Retro that has little living rooms set up with 50s, 60s, and 70s style.  Maybe they would let you do a shoot there.
    http://www.swankretro.com/
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls! We're really hoping that people let us photograph in their restaurants!
    Photobucket
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe the Riverview Theater in south Minneapolis? It's not a restaurant, but the lobby area is very retro.
  • LolaBelle515LolaBelle515 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mickey's Diner is an excellent, excellent suggestion--can't think what is more 50s than that.

Since you're planning for August, have you considered the State Fair?  Fairs are very retro, too.  We did our e-pics there last year and there were a ton of options to choose from (pics on the big slide, carousel, playing midway games, eating ice cream, etc).  You could make them 50s themed, too...

Have fun--what a great idea!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_50s-theme-shoot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:abeb8f18-4ce8-4b8f-ab44-42db8d3a3ff2Post:b59518e8-f582-4647-9fbf-931a179929b2">Re: 50s theme shoot</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's a furniture store on University (near Snelling) called Swank Retro that has little living rooms set up with 50s, 60s, and 70s style.  Maybe they would let you do a shoot there. <a href="http://www.swankretro.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.swankretro.com/</a>
    Posted by hkiesling[/QUOTE]

<div>This is about a block from Porky's, which someone else recommended. You could easily do both. Also there's a little park right there, too, if you wanted to get a couple of shots with some greenery. </div>
  • laura_fettlaura_fett member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll second Porky's and Mickeys, both would be good choices!
  • edited December 2011
    I would also maybe think of the Monte Carlo (DT Mpls), Jax (NE Mpls), and Nye's Polonaise (NE Mpls) if you are thinking a less bubbly more grown up 50's/60's retro look for some pics.
  • bellaxanthebellaxanthe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We're getting ours done in July at Mickey's with Render Photography.  FI has a 59 corvette convertible that we are hoping to get in the shots as well. These are all really great suggestions!

photo c603d655-594e-44b6-a311-72f04e7a561b_zpscca2447c.jpg My Little Sweetheart Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards