Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Newbie here- Hair Q's

I'm a newbie on the board but I've been reading a fair amount of posts. I'm currently struggling to make a decision on a hair stylist (I already booked a family friend for my makeup). I'm having a Sunday wedding this July so I need to find someone who'll come to the hotel for me and my bridal party. I've spoken to Brett Dorrian as well as Smart and Chic. The biggest problems is that I live in Chicago so I'm planning my Minneapolis wedding in another state. I can only make it back into town one more time this March. Brett's available then for a trial run but Kira is the stylist I was interested in from Smart and Chic and she's out of the state until April! That means I'd have no trial run and that scares me. Any advice? Who do you guys prefer? I'm really picky with my hair and I already know that I want it half up, half down with loose wavy curls.

Re: Newbie here- Hair Q's

• edited December 2011
    I had Kira at S&C!  I brought in a few pictures, and she did exactly what I wanted (which was awesome, since I had no idea that it was exactly what I wanted!)

I have incredibly thick hair, so I was worried about it and decided to do a trial.  I really had no need for one though, to be honest. She knew exactly what to do anyway.

I know you didn't ask to see pictures of my hair, but I had it half up/half down with big curls, so it might help.  The top was pulled back in a kind of basket-weave almost.  It was awesome.

This is from the trial:
    Picture

aand the day of:
    that's Kira, btw

I have more pictures online:

I know DrDifabio had a similar hair style, as well.  I don't remember if she used S&C though.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_newbie-here-hair-qs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:ad97d409-5869-413c-851e-79806c735df7Post:55779bc9-a624-45e7-9e01-a242a64638b8">Re: Newbie here- Hair Q's</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had Kira at S&C!  I brought in a few pictures, and she did exactly what I wanted (which was awesome, since I had no idea that it was exactly what I wanted!) I have incredibly thick hair, so I was worried about it and decided to do a trial.  Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Kira did my sister's wedding too so I requested her but probably won't get her either since she's still gone :( They all do an amazing job though so I'm sure anyone else that's available would do great too! If you don't have time for a trial you could just allow more time the day of so they can play around with it for awhile. A good stylist can create a bunch of different looks in one sitting so you could try a few out until you found one that worked for you.
  • edited December 2011
    I amd using Bret Dorrian and already had my trial run with her. Although she is higher price- you get what you pay for with her. If you give her a picture- she is the best at making it look exactly like the picture. I have PIB of my hair trial... although there is one that I put up that was not the finish look. She is extrememly attentive and took time while she was doing my hair to take pictures and show me, to make sure it was what I wanted.
    Love Love Love her! :)
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No real comment here, except I wanted you to know that we have several knotties on this board who are or have planned weddings here from Chicago (Bimbi is one of them, not sure who else).  I believe they've even had a get-together (GTG) or two as well.  You might make a post about a call for Chicago locals on this board to see who your neighbors are.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am trying to figure hair out myself, but I wanted to invite you to the July 11 board, too! 
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards