Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

More name change questions....

I should just be calling someone and asking this but instead of answering 8 million questions to get connected to the right person I thought I'd ask here first.

So I read this:

"After the marriage ceremony the Officiant is required to mail or deliver the original signed marriage certificate to the county from which it was purchased. Approximately two to three weeks after the date of marriage, the county will mail a certified copy of the marriage certificate to the address listed on the application. This certified copy has a certification stamp and a raised seal. You can obtain additional certified copies at any time from any county in Minnesota for a fee. A certified copy is all that is legally required as proof of your marriage and your new name."
  - We got stuff back from our pastor (I haven't even had a chance to look at it yet) but am I supposed to wait until I get a "certified" copy of our marriage license in the mail (not whatever we got back from the pastor) before I can go to the SS office and do my name change?  I don't know why I am so confused by this process!

Also, my driver's license is expiring in August, so initially I was planning on waiting until I got my name changed to go renew it.  However with the looming shut down on Friday I am trying to decide if I should get in there quick and renew it with my maiden name so I don't run the risk of a long shut down and not getting my license renewed. 

I am so confused!   WWYD?
June 18, 2011 Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: More name change questions....

• Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just did that this morning!  The documents that I brought in that the SS office wanted were the following:

- Photo ID (driver's license)
    - Social Security Card
    - The official Marriage Certificate (with raised seal and stuff)
    - "Souvenir" copy of Marriage Certificate that shows both your former and new name (I had to run out to the car and get this... the certificate says that it couldn't be used for official documentation for some reason?)
    - Birth Certificate (not sure why this was necessary or if it was... they wanted my parents' names for some reason?)

My recommmendation is to get there 45mins-1hr early and wait in line outside before it opens (9:00am M-F) and you'll get to go in to see someone right away!  There are some interesting folks there... so listen to an i-pod and bring a book if you aren't up for any conversations :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the list!  I think I will be going in the late morning, my plan was to go on Friday when I only have to work a few hours in the AM.  Hopefully the wait isn't too crazy...maybe ill bring my thank you cards to work on :)  I am not a fan of convos with randoms! haha
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All I needed at the SS office was the certified marriage certificate, my driver's license, and my SS card. Though it wouldn't hurt to bring the other stuff.

If it were me, I'd wait to do my DL -- chances are pretty decent that if the shutdown happens, it won't last through the end of the month. And I can't see a cop giving someone a ticket for driving w/an expired DL if it JUST expired and the govt is shutdown. The only issue I can foresee is getting into bars -- some will turn you away if your ID has expired.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_name-change-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:b6d64c27-0aed-4e40-97a9-cd197667079dPost:5274639d-505a-4b1b-a22a-ebd27cf4de20">Re: More name change questions....</a>:
    [QUOTE]All I needed at the SS office was the certified marriage certificate, my driver's license, and my SS card. Though it wouldn't hurt to bring the other stuff. If it were me, I'd wait to do my DL -- chances are pretty decent that if the shutdown happens, it won't last through the end of the month. <strong>And I can't see a cop giving someone a ticket for driving w/an expired DL if it JUST expired and the govt is shutdown. The only issue I can foresee is getting into bars -- some will turn you away if your ID has expired.
    </strong>Posted by tpender13[/QUOTE]

<strong><font color="#800080">Kinda what I was thinking.  Thanks for the advice!

Also, just remembered I probably won't be going this week, as I will have to wait to get the certified copy back...duh.  Oh well.  I suppose I'll just wait to do that too until after my CPA exam in mid july so I don't have to do some last minute paperwork with them to be able to take it.  Man this crap is stressing me out more than the wedding!</font></strong>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards