Ohio-Columbus
Options

Friday/Saturday?

Are you getting married on a Friday or Saturday?

Why did you choose this day of the week?

Sorry, no offense if being married on a Sunday, just not an option for me! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Friday/Saturday?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on a Saturday. There were a few things that went into that decision. The main one: Most of my family is out of town. We will probably have about 50% of the guests coming from OOT. It was important to us that people didn't feel like they had to take off a day or two just to make it to our wedding and enjoy it.  We wanted to accomodate the large chunk of people that will have to travel. Also, it allows me to do some other activities over the weekend with people, like a Clippers game on Friday (I hope they have one that day!) and a Sunday brunch.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married on a Saturday. We got married in a Catholic church, full mass, so Friday wasn't really an option. I mean, I am sure we could of asked, but they probably would have frowned on it.

Pretty much the same reasons pp said. But for us, we had chose are specific date for a couple of factors. We live out of state and H sister graduated from Ohio State the week before our wedding. He only had 2 wks vacation, so we were home a week before the wedding to be at her graduation. Then the wedding was the following Saturday. We left for the HM which was 1 wk the next day. We came back to Ohio and drove back to where we live to go to work the next day. Not ideal, but the best way we could do it so we could be at SIL graduation and not have to waste time, etc.
  • Options
    PookieJ2010PookieJ2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married on a Friday for several reasons~

1. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to do things on a Friday vs a Saturday
    2. It gives everyone 2 days to recover after the reception ;)
    3. It gives the family 2 days to travel home instead of 1
    Jillian*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on a Saturday for the same reasons as other people (out of town guests, can do activities on Friday, etc.).  Also, I'm getting married on July 2, so since the 4th of July is on a Monday, most people should have that day off from work so they won't have to rush to get back home.  Most people are within driving distance (fiance's family is from Dayton), but we also have bridal party members coming from afar (Texas, Florida, Hawaii, etc.).  We're doing a brunch on Sunday, so with the holiday being on Monday, hopefully people can make it.
  • Options
    sep72fendrsep72fendr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Friday for all the same reasons Pookie said. Plus... I wanted a June date for my venue and that was the only open date available.
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    fallbride'10fallbride'10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We picked Friday because the rental fee for our venue was waived on Fridays. Saved us a ton of money! Also, we hardly have any OOT guests so that went into our decision as well.
    November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is Saturday for the smae reasons as the posts.  I also went to a friday wedding, My FI was a grromsmen and we were OOT it was hard to get to the rehersal dinner on time without leaving early and we had to take the whole friday off.  We have 3 member of the brial party that are out of state and lots of OOT guests so it just seemed easier to do saturday.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married on a saturday, because, like pp, half our guests are out of town (like 150 people). We actually brought it up with a handful of family members, and all were polite and said 'do what you want' but did admit that it would be much less convenient, as all OOT would need take Friday off (or at least a half day).

• Options
    a-ingrama-ingram member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing Saturday because a lot of the same reasons mentioned by previous posters (OOT guests mainly) but I personally think it is inconsiderate to your wedding party and guests to have a Friday wedding.  Depending on where they live they may have to take part of Thursday for the Rehersal and all of Friday.  Some people just don't have that much vacation time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing Friday because there were no Saturdays open in October by the time we started planning and there were only 2 Fridays available. I didn't want to push the wedding any further back than we already had so we went with one of the Fridays. I'm good with it though because like PP's have said, it gives everyone time to recoup and travel if needed.
    Jama and Billy are getting married! - hitchedtickers.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married on a Saturday.  I wish we could do a friday because its sooooooooooo much cheaper but It just wouldnt feel right to us.  I just feel bad telling people to take the day or two days off work to come to our wedding.  and I dont want people getting off work on a friday at five and rushing to our wedding.
    So saturday it is.  :) 
  • Options
    summer4077summer4077 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Friday for a couple of reasons--mainly, it was one of the only days available at North Bank in September.  We don't have a lot of OOT guests but do have a ton of rabid OSU fans.  There was no way I could have a fall wedding unless we did it on a Friday or Sunday, and we wanted people to be able to recover and not have to worry about work the next day.  It also fits with the feeling we want for the reception--classy and kind of like a cocktail party.  Fridays are becoming more popular so I haven't really heard anything negative about it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Saturday evening so OOT guests wouldn't have to take off work to make into town on time for the wedding, and they'd have Sunday to get home.  Ours was over Memorial Day weekend though, so they had an extra day to recover once home too.  :)

Fridays are great for saving money and especially if most guests are local and have no problems getting in without having to take vacation days (guests are thankful for that).  Best of luck to ya!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Friday- Venue was cheaper, Not very many OOT guest. It's Veterans day so most of my friends and family are already off from work.
    I really did struggle with the idea of Friday, but my MOH said it best, for those who it is reallly important to, they will find a way to be there.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Friday, and not for the same reason as everyone else. My FH doesn't fly and our cruise leaves on Sunday, so we have to drive to Florida. So we choose a Friday night wedding so we could take our dream honeymoon.  None of our OOT guest have complained about the day, in fact we are getting married near my FH hometown to be convenient for his family, and it seems the only complaints have been from those who don't have to travel. Maybe I'm a bit selfish/bridezilla, but if you don't want to be at my wedding cause you have to take off work, then do I really want you there anyways.  I work retail and I have to take off work to attend Saturday weddings, but I do cause I want to share in your special day, so am I asking to much for the same in return? The added bonus was all the discount for having a Friday wedding, plus all of my guest now have the whole weekend to enjoy, and I'm not getting married or trying to have a reception when all everyone wants to do is watch a football game.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had ours on Saturday for many of the reasons previously mentioned. We had guests coming from all over the world, and the ones coming within driving distance could drive to come by Saturday and leave the day after and not take vacation time. All of the groomsmen lived OOT and we would have felt horrible to make them take 2 days of vacation to be in our wedding. We got married in the Catholic chapel attached to St. Charles, and since school was in session on Friday it would've been odd to us to see sports teams practicing while the wedding was taking place. Having our wedding on Saturday also felt right to us- we actually never even considered having it on any other day.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards