Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

St Cloud Knotties: Alterations?

Hey ladies, I'm looking for some alterations recommendations in the St. Cloud area. Louise is still up for top consideration right now for my alterations but my mom feels (and I agree) that it would be a lot easier to do alterations here then to drive down to the cities for all my fittings on top of everything else. However, I refuse to hand over my wedding dress and say "cut it up!" to just anyone.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: St Cloud Knotties: Alterations?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    When I lived in St. Cloud, I had a bridesmaid dress altered at the St. Cloud Tailor shop (in WP by Anton's/Fleet Farm). It was a really delicate chiffon/charmeuse dress and they did a nice job. However, I didn't exactly shop around!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have 2 but don't have their specifics at work. I will PM you when I get them.

One is in Cold Spring and did my Aunt's wedding. (The pickiest bride I have ever known LoL)
    Another person I am considering is a Friend of a Friend who is actually going to make my Flower Girl Dress and the Dress for my Cousin Greeter. She owns her own business though.

Did you get any dresses at Mestads? Because I have heard terrible things about the alternation ppl they go through in St. Cloud. I think I kept their card just so I would remember not to use them.
  • Options
    juliels53juliels53 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to say the place Mestads recommended, Rapids Alterations, though they do have business cards for a few places there. I haven't heard anything bad about them.
    I've already had my dress altered and it came back great! They added a bustle, put cups in, took it in in the chest/bust area and fixed a bump in the fabric below the bust (it was sewn wrong so the bumpt wouldn't smooth out). The last of those fixes, Mestads paid for because it was clearly an error with the dress. Good luck! HTH!
    In story books marriage is a happy ending. In real life it's a happy beginning. Living my happy beginning since September 18, 2010! Planning Bio & Vendor Reviews
  • Options
    laura_fettlaura_fett member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at Mestad's and the lady who helped me gave me two cards. One they recommend, and one she personally used. She said not to use Mestad's because it's so expensive. I have both cards in my purse, and have no idea which one is which.

One is Rapids Alterations and Repair in Sauk Rapids (320) 255-9083, and the other is Marcie Kulzer in Albany (320) 845-4302. Looking at the cards now, my guess would be that Abbey (who helped me at Mestad's) used Marcie. She said she did a good job, and was much cheaper than going through Mestad's alterations.

That being said, I'm using Louise. I go to the cities fairly regularly, and so far have made the most out of my trips there. The first time we went to IKEA and picked up some things for the wedding. The second time we went to the Renaissance Festival. It's worked out well for us, and she's as amazing as everyone says.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, I have not gotten any dresses at Mestads (yet anyway, may get bridesmaid dresses there). I ordered mine at the Wedding Shoppe and prefer to go through someone outside of a bridal shop to save money, but I'm nervous about using someone who's not super experienced with wedding dresses. I may just end up with Louise but was looking for other possible options
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shan, could I ask you to PM me that info too?

It's kinda funny that you posted this, because I was thinking about going up to St. Cloud for mine to save money. It would be easy for me as all I need is a hem and the train cut off, so I don't think I'll need more than one fitting. My parents live in Clearwater for the summer part of the year, so they could probably pick it up for me if I needed them to.
  • Options
    laura_fettlaura_fett member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you go shopping at Mestad's ask for Abbey, she was amazing to work with! Very down to earth, and really helpful with keeping costs down. She got married about a year ago, right when I was looking for dresses, and so she knows how important keeping costs down is!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards