Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Travel Agent for Honeymoon?

Hello again!  Well, it's my job to plan our HM while FI designs the invites for a few weeks -- I'm super excited AND overwhelmed all at the same time!

We are focusing on somewhere warm (in May 2011), beachy, for one week, that's 8 hours or less by plane (with 1 or no connections), with great sunsets.  I know that sort of narrows it down but there are still SO many options!  It would be fun to go somewhere other than Mexico as I've been there several times already.  We have a budget in mind and that's obviously limiting us a bit as well but I'm confident we can find what we're looking for...it's just taking ME way too much time to find it!

Who's using a local or internet travel agent and can you recommend him/her for this type of HM?

Thanks a bunch!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Travel Agent for Honeymoon?

• Options
    kristigileskristigiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got a great deal for a week in Cabo at an AI on Travelocity.  While it worked great for us, I sort of wish we had gone with a travel agent to help us smooth out some small details such as long layovers and transportation to/from the resort.  It all worked out though!
    August 14, 2010 image*PLANNING* *MARRIED*
  • Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No agent recommendations, but Puerto Rico is a lovely place!!!! I may be biased, cuz its my motherland, but still, it rules. Check it out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we just got back from our honeymoon in Akumal, Mexico-absolutely beautiful!  Our travel agent was Bonnie:  bonnie at chocolatecitytravel.com  (she also sent us beer, chips and salsa for when we arrived!!)
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if any of the flights are under 8 hours, but Connie Campos of Springboard Vacations is handling our honeymoon, and she's been fabulous about working in our budget.  They only do vacations to the South Pacific though.  There are some spots there with fantastic sunsets and beaches though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No Agent recommendations as we can't take our honeymoon right away. But I have heard Costa Rica is amazing!! They have adult resorts and lots of activities to take part in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got married last November and we used Nancy from Island Getaways in Wisconsin.  We did everything over the phone and via email.  She was fabulous and totally worked with our tiny budget.  http://www.myislandgetaways.com/index.php

We ended up going to Montego Bay Jamaica and we LOVED it.  I would recommend it entirely.  Our resort was Montego Bay by Sandals but if we were to go again I would stay at a couples resort because I've heard such great things about them.

Great sunsets, nice people and very relaxing.

Hope you find something that works out!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the advice so far!
    Rika: I have been to two Couples Resorts in Jamaica and they were outstanding!  I'd like try somewhere new for my HM so I'll look into Island Getaways to see what else they might come up with - thanks!

Shan: Costa Rica IS amazing!  I've been there too :)  Definitely more of an adventure-type vacation vs. relaxing on the beach though.  Lots of sightseeing and hiking!

Bimbi: I will definitely look into your Motherland, Puerto Rico.  I hear the beaches there are some of the most beautiful in the world!  Is it easy to get there by plane from Mpls airport?

Anyone else with Travel Agent rec's?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_travel-agent-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:e4351afe-b702-4b97-bb58-2a970fcf6361Post:e2ff886e-d8f0-4ea2-94e4-dfdb41c166b1">Re: Travel Agent for Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it easy to get there by plane from Mpls airport? Anyone else with Travel Agent rec's?
    Posted by olivehim[/QUOTE]

I went on a cruise in Feb that was out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. We flew to Chicago first, the on to PR. FI's boss was taking everyone and made the arrangements, so I'm not sure if there was a direct flight option.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    olivehim : Perfect for us as FI is not a strong swimmer and does not swim in the ocean. We both like to do things for the majority of our vacations. As much as I love to relax my ADHD kicks in after day 2 of laying on the beach.

Have you thought about cruises? I love 'em and its nice to be able to hit multi. spots on a vacay. That way relaxing a beach can be an 'adventure' because you can pick a different beach and country/island almost every day.

Yes you can fly direct  its around 6 hrs normally. We went on a cruise that started and ended in Puerto Rico and we had a terrible experience getting back. The airport is pretty small and although you can fly direct- watch out for the iguanas!! First our plan wouldn't start- then they brought the wrong truck to manually start the engine (because hey once they get it started it should be no problem LoL) so once we did get the right truck we had to sit in a line to take off because there were iguanas all over the runway and they can't drive through them or the plane will hydroplane- so they have to get ppl to shoe em off. We ended up spending about 4 hrs on the plane with no active air exchange or AC - i had a panic attack LoL (first and only) because I couldn't breathe.

I share that just because it happen in San Juan and I'm 98% sure it will never happen to you. and to be honest I'd go back because that has to be a 1 in 1,000,000 chance right? haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards