Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

How late should the party go until?

We're doing the ceremony at 2:30 at my church, and are going to book the reception venue from 3-11pm. We'll do setup in the morning, and take down until midnight.

Is that too late and too long for guests?

Thanks!

Re: How late should the party go until?

• Options
    That's a LONG reception.  Most around around 4-5 hours.  I went to a reception once that was  6 hours.  I was having fun and danced all night, but in the back of my head I kept thinking, "When is this wedding going to end?"  I was exhausted by the time we left.  And the reception was so long that the groom wasn't paying attention to how much he was drinking over the hours.  Let's just say the bride had to drive them out of there.

As far as that being too late, no.  But it's definitely too long.  If it's going to start at 3, then I'd have it end by 9 at the latest.  Otherwise you could head over there a little later.  How long is your ceremony and how far away is your reception venue.  Are you doing a receiving line?  Realistically, your cocktail hour might not start until 4, in which case, you could probably end closer to 10.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_how-late-should-the-party-go-until?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:f18c966d-4c34-484c-b799-eee5a3c9c5dbPost:62ea5b0a-7f1d-4ee1-a668-f567805fcd52">Re: How late should the party go until?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's a LONG reception.  Most around around 4-5 hours.  I went to a reception once that was  6 hours.  I was having fun and danced all night, but in the back of my head I kept thinking, "When is this wedding going to end?"  I was exhausted by the time we left.  And the reception was so long that the groom wasn't paying attention to how much he was drinking over the hours.  Let's just say the bride had to drive them out of there. As far as that being too late, no.  But it's definitely too long.  If it's going to start at 3, then I'd have it end by 9 at the latest.  Otherwise you could head over there a little later.  How long is your ceremony and how far away is your reception venue.  Are you doing a receiving line?  Realistically, your cocktail hour might not start until 4, in which case, you could probably end closer to 10.
    Posted by MrsBassPlaya[/QUOTE]

agreed with PP.  The cocktail hour will be a good break for you.

Question:  Who is doing "take down until midnight"?  I hope you aren't implying your guests will be on clean up duty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My ceremony is at 3:30 with cocktail hour to follow. Dinner at 5 and party as late as everyone wants up until midnight when we have the space until.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards