Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

DIY Photobooth?

Anyone doing this for their wedding?  We are strongly considering it as there just isn't room in our budget to hire one.  

If so just curious what you are doing for the set-up etc.?  TIA

Re: DIY Photobooth?

• colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing one. My dad and my uncle are going to use ply wood to make one that acutally looks like the ones you see at fairs and stuff. They are going to put a little bench inside and use my dad's mac computer for the camera.  Then he is buying a software that will take the pics one after the other and print them out in the little sheets. I can ask my dad what software that is. We are also planning on paying one of my brothers friends to "man" the photobooth for the eveing. I am sure there are even cheaper ways to do this that what we are doing. My dad just wants it to look like the real thing. I have seen pvc pipes holding up fabric to do it also.
  • AETS26AETS26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Many people seem to be doing this, though I haven't seen one myself. I've heard of people either a) using their own camera and designating a friend/family member as photographer for an hour or so, or b) arranging something with their wedding photographer - maybe an assistant can come and man the camera. You can set up a sheet or something as a backdrop, and then have a basket of simple props - funny hats, masks, boas, wine glasses, stuffed animals etc. I think it sounds like fun, and a lot more budget-friendly than a rental booth! If you do it with your own camera, you could either find an old instant Polariod, or take photos digitally and put them up on Shutterfly or a similar site after the wedding for guests to see.
  • edited December 2011
    depending on what you are planning on spending on a DIY photobooth I found one for $400 for 3 hours!
  • edited December 2011
    We're thinking of getting a remote for my DSLR camera and setting it up on a tripod.  Photos would not be printed, but we'd put them up on Shutterfly or another photo hosting site after the wedding.  My biggest concerns are how to make sure I have sufficient flash to take good pictures and finding a place or somehow enclosing the area so the flash isn't so distracting to the rest of the reception.  I also want to make it somewhat private so that people feel like they can get a little crazy, after all that is kinda of the best part of a photobooth right?
  • FutureMrsS13FutureMrsS13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed!!! hm   like a black back drop?? wonder if there is a way to make a box big enough ( and tall enough) to make it feel like a photo booth..  and a couple chairs?? Hehe!!!or if there is a wall that would do good blocking??
  • FutureMrsS13FutureMrsS13 member
    edited December 2011
    or could u do something like this? black drop? or something in a area that was 'hidden'?    http://www.curbly.com/bruno/posts/9304-how-to-set-up-a-diy-photo-booth-using-your-computer-free-software-download-included

U could use a laptop...again people would probably be drinking..?? so could u trust it? ;)
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing one, at least I think that's what I call it.  I bought it from debbieupper.  It's a large piece of wood with 2 large cutouts with frames around it.  Then there are smaller frames that we put family photos inside.  I think it's a great alternative to a rented one!
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_diy-photobooth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:f5039d86-8437-4c4c-b044-1377fc9a32bcPost:8063193d-dd42-43fe-aa53-9b4529127d8b">Re: DIY Photobooth?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're doing one, at least I think that's what I call it.  I bought it from debbieupper.  It's a large piece of wood with 2 large cutouts with frames around it.  Then there are smaller frames that we put family photos inside.  I think it's a great alternative to a rented one!
    Posted by SuperRNluvsChef[/QUOTE]

I'm so jealous of this! I forgot you bought debbieuppers! I'm in love :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_diy-photobooth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:f5039d86-8437-4c4c-b044-1377fc9a32bcPost:c1577d96-c1cb-4b2c-be2f-bf7b73f2c481">Re: DIY Photobooth?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: DIY Photobooth? : I'm so jealous of this! I forgot you bought debbieuppers! I'm in love :-)
    Posted by leggwilliams[/QUOTE]

<div>Me too!!  I loved how it turned out.  </div><div>
    </div><div>SuperRN I can't wait to see the pics, is Britt going to be taking them for you or will you have a separate camera?</div>
  • tlbattagliatlbattaglia member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're sort of doing one.  It's more of a photo-taking area. 

People are using their own cameras, but we made a bunch of props (and bought quite a few).  We're hanging a piece of the black vinyl stuff we're using for the reception on a wall for the background.
    Anniversary
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did one. We bought some particle board and planks and constructed it ourselves. It had a frame that we screwed the "wall" to and then DH used the planks to make feet. We created it to fit the 2 large picture frames that we wanted to use and covered it with fabric to look like a Victorian wall. Here are some pictures from it (just taken from FB). I got together a bunch of props and made mustaches on sticks. I think the whole thing probably cost $50, and most of that was paying for one of the frames. 

Photobucket
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    edited December 2011
    I've got one similar to graysquirrel's that I am selling if anyone is interested! Comes with trunk filled with props and extra sticky frames to include pics of whatever you want on the wall along with the open "frames" (we put old pics of family members at their weddings).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards