Missouri-Kansas City

Complaint on Hotel Accomodations

My wedding is a little over 2 months away. I don't know if this was too late to start doing this but I just started looking for hotel rooms that I could reserve for my out of town guests a couple of weeks ago.  It turns out that the weekend of my wedding is a HUGE Nascar race here.  All of the hotels have jacked up their prices, are booked, or aren't accepting blocks of rooms for reservations.  Luckily I did find one in my area that would do it but the hotel rooms are $149.00 a night!  OUCH!  I hope people still come to my wedding.

Re: Complaint on Hotel Accomodations

• edited December 2011
    I understand your concern! My FI's cousin is getting married on August 15th in Lawrence.  She wanted to block rooms at a hotel that is right next door to their site and found out she couldn't because it is move-in weekend for KU. The prices are ridiculous! (179) BUT...that would not stop us from going! I'm sure your family and friends would not miss your big day because that! If they don't want to stay at that hotel, there are other things that they could do. Maybe stay at a hotel that is further away and cheaper. If they can't drive that evening, they could take a taxi (I don't know if it would end up being cheaper, but it could). Or, if they know friends or family near by..maybe they could crash with them. (That's what we are doing). It will be ok. :) Hope this helps!
  • susiejimsusiejim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I'm hoping people will be able to stay with nearby family or something.  I guess if they can't come...they can't come.  There isn't anything I can really do about it.
  • edited December 2011
    OUCH, I'm a little nervous because I'm going to start to looking for hotels to block rooms. My wedding is October 3rd and I just found out yesterday that there is an Iowa State VERSUS K-State football game here in KC on October 3rd.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    October 3rd is the day of my wedding too!  I would start looking for hotels if you haven't already.  Apparently this is a popular weekend for sporting events!!
  • edited December 2011
    Double ouch. I better get a move on it. I'm not anticipating a lot of OOT people. Never know though. My wedding is going to be short from 3pm-7pm. My guests will know that up front. For some that may not be worth coming in. Plus, on my side of the family my cousin is getting married the week before I am. I didn't know that until AFTER I picked my date. Her wedding is going to be much bigger and it's at a fancy place so the family may go to her wedding since it will be much nicer. It's in an entirely different place then mine.Now, on my fiance's side he will have people come from OOT more than me most likely. They'll stay anywhere. Area/location don't bother them.I live close to Grandview there are a few options out that way. Then I'm trying closer to my wedding/reception site but I have a feeling those will probably be book since Nascar and the football game will be here.Iowa State and K-state is big but THANKFULLY my wedding isn't 11/28 because that's when KU VERSUS MU will play here in KC and most people know how big that game will be.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea you might be able to find more out your way.  I live in Olathe so only about 20 minutes from the speedway.  If you plan on staying in a hotel your wedding night I would definitely try and book that first.  And then maybe see if that same place can also accomodate some other guests.  Where are you getting married at?
  • edited December 2011
    I feel all of your pain - I just tried today to find out about rooms for my wedding in Lawrence - yep, turns out I scheduled my wedding for the weekend of the damn KU vs. Nebraska football game (at KU of course >.<) EVERY hotel room in Lawrence is booked, I called my mother bawling today because I have no idea where all of our OOT guests are going to stay, and we have a lot of OOT guests (all of FI's family is coming from out of state).  The best option she was able to come up with was to have them stay in the Olathe/Overland Park area and then we will somehow coordinate transportation, but it sucks... a lot.  Even if our OOT guests stay in the KC area I have no idea where my FI and I will stay to get ready before the wedding (we live in a different town)... sooooooo frustrating :(
  • edited December 2011
      We opted not to stay in a hotel on our wedding night. We are going to spend the night at home then leave Sunday morning for our honeymoon. Our wedding is in between the midtown/downtown area. We are having our wedding ceremony at a church and then a community center for the reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards