Missouri-Kansas City

Themed Reception? Helpful hints?

I am a newly engaged, bride to be, who is absolutely lost! My fiance and I are funding this pretty much by ourselfs and are trying to figure out how to really start. Decorating and all that seem to not be a problem as both of us have really supportive families that love to decorate, but the problem we are having is the wedding and reception. I come from a very non-religious family, and he comes from a pretty religious family. I have agreed to being married by his families pastor, but am a little uneasy about being married in a church that, one isn't my religion, and two I have never stepped in before in my life. My fiance's mother really wants us to be married in a church, and with the financial crunch I am starting to give in. Does anyone know of an inexpensive place that could maybe double as a reception and wedding venue? We have less than a hundred guests. I am open to an outdoor wedding, but with a November date I am thinking that may be torture.The other thing is that our reception is themed. My fiance is pretty much the king of the comic book nerds and is actually on the way on opening his own store. To keep him involved we are doing a Comic Book themed reception. So this means that the blankest canvas we can get for the reception the better. All ideas or comments are very helpful as I am so lost and haven't even been engaged for a full month yet!!!

Re: Themed Reception? Helpful hints?

• edited December 2011
    for starters...take it easy.  :)  i say this with love...you guys have over two years until your wedding...don't fret about things that you have plenty of time to work through and make a fun adventure! by the time i get married it'll have been 20 months from when we got engaged...it's a tremendous blessing (and some p.i.t.a.) to have that much time to 1. save money (we are also funding our wedding ourselves) and 2. process things as you go and as you have time...but keep in mind this journey should be as stress-free as possible!!the first thing i would check with regarding the ceremony is if your husbands faith and officiant allows weddings outside of a church. if they do, i would recommend checking with ballroom dance studios and some of the actual ballrooms around the overland park/lenexa area...they'll double as both a ceremony and reception venue. another idea...some ladies on here may have to let you know where this place is...but there is a red barn that operates as a venue and you can do both ceremony and reception there...a lot of places will allow you to get married there as well, so even a venue such as the vfw in overland park will accomodate to your preferences.a comic book theme sounds so fun! you could make copies of his favorite comic books and use them as the table "numbers" for guests. what a fantastic idea!!
    jenifriend
    may flower
  • edited December 2011
    With that small of a crowd you could look at some of the photographer's studios in downtown. Our ceremony was at Studio 2131. You could do the ceremony in the front room, cocktails in the back room while someone flips the front room into reception gear. You could also look at Berg Event Space, but you would probably have to set it up as a reception (ie. have guests sitting at round tables) during the ceremony. Both are fairly blank spaces since they're working commercial photographer studios.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards