Missouri-Kansas City
Options

Flowers and Cake Needed!

I am getting married next August and am starting to research vendors. I need someone to make an awesome cake and arrange beautiful flowers. My wedding will be in Louisburg, KS and the reception in OP. Anyone have recommendations on vendors in these areas? I want to keep delivery costs down.Also, fondant vs. buttercream? Fondant looks prettier in pictures but I've heard buttercream tastes better.Thanks for the help!

Re: Flowers and Cake Needed!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Hyvee for both my flowers and cake.  They are awesome with prices and still make wonderful cakes and arrangements.  I'm not sure if they deliver though, I haven't got that far.As far as fondant vs buttercream... I think that's a personal preference.  Personally, I think fondant tastes like play dough.  I don't want it anywhere near my cake.  Sure you can make fabulous designs with fondant and also make the colors richer, but its not worth it to have a nasty taste in your mouth afterwards.  Plus, I've seen many beautiful buttercream cakes!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE our cake lady - she's based out of lenexa, her name is rebekah and her website is rebekahcakeartist dot com.  She does amazing work and her cakes are very yummy.  As far as flowers we actually used the local university floral shop in Topeka so I can't be much help there :( Buttercream does taste a lot better and if you get a really good cake designer it can be made to look as smooth as fondant - the cake picture in my bio is actually buttercream if you want to see an example.
  • Options
    kwagner1211kwagner1211 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow futermrsdawes, your cake is gorgeous! And if I can get that in buttercream than that is good enough for me! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Amanda from KC Sugar Shack for our cake/cupcakes. For flowers we're using Amy Cason from Victorian Gardens.Both have been great to work with and the prices have been amazing! :)I prefer buttercream since it tastes soo much better than fondant - you can do cooler stuff with fondant but it tastes nasty IMO.
    Kristen & Ryan | 10.10.10
    My Married Bio | My Blog
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kristin!! It's Lindy, your old high school friend.I'm getting married this weekend! We're using Spectacular Cakes (www.cakemiss.gobot.com/) and her cake is amazing. She'll do free cake tastings if you're in the area. I'm sure I'll have pics up in a few weeks.We're using Hy-Vee in Mission, but I'm not sure if that would be too far from L-burg. Let me know if you have other questions about vendors & wedding plans... you can message me on facebook. Congrats, have fun with the wedding plans!
  • Options
    tbridetobetbridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would highly recommend Jennifer's Flowers & Events (www.jennifersflowersandevents.com) for florals. She is really nice and easy to work with, I have a pretty small budget for flowers but she was really good about helping me find ways to stay in my budget but still achieve the look I wanted -- like using a cheaper, but similar-looking, type of rose. She can also do a lot of cool embellishments with rhinestones, pearls, wire, etc. if you are into that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love my cake lady she is out of Olathe, KSIt is called Dragonfly Bakery she does it all and she does a free tasting and she will let you know everything about fondant vs butter cream, and  which is better for you.
  • Options
    Meggie1801Meggie1801 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Sandy Danner of Creative Cakes KC, and our cake was AMAZING! We had buttercream frosting, and she made it look like fondant. Plus, it was the best tasting cake I've ever had in my life. We are still getting compliments on how wonderful it tasted. She was by far the most affordable cake lady I could find in the KC area, that wasn't a grocery store. For flowers, I used Clara's Flowers, and she did a great job, too. I had a very small budget for flowers, and she seriously gave me so much bang for my buck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards