Missouri-Kansas City
Options

Vendor Reviews from 12/9 wedding

I hope this helps. Just PM me with any more thoughts of a type of vendor I may have forgotten.

PHOTOGRAPHER: Leslie Spurlock Photography A++++++
Leslie runs her business mainly from Dallas, Texas, but travels (literally) all over the WORLD to photograph weddings. Other than a few states and Canada, she has shot weddings in Africa and will be in Italy for a 2013 wedding! She is a bit on the pricey side, but when it comes to hiring someone to capture every sinlge moment of YOUR special day, you cannot settle for just an average photographer because of budget. Make this a priority (IMO). You can find her work on FB -- along with a handful of photos from my 12/9/11 wedding!! (It was on a Friday and she had "sneak peaks" up by the following Wednesday!

VENUE: Foundation Architectural Reclemation & Event Gallery (Foundation Room for short) A
Patrick was phenomenal to work with after getting word just four months before our wedding that The Elms was closing for renovations. I just loved the space and it totally fit my "country/Texas" personality. The only reason it doesn't get an A+ is because when I was walked to the dance floor to have my first dance with my brother (Since my dad couldn't be there), my dress got caught on a nailhead that was slightly sticking out... The string under my bustle to hold the train up prior to the dress being steamed is what caught the nail.

VIDEOGRAPHER: Complete Video - A
From the beginning I knew I wanted to do this, but due to budget and lots of other personal issues that came up, I was not able to keep them booked originally. Two weeks before the wedding, I got a phone call that my dad was in a car accident and would not be able to come to the wedding. My brother paid for the videographer as a GIFT. So, with less than 10 days to go before our big day, they took some info down quickly and it was such a relief to know that our day would be captured for my dad to watch in the future. Our videographer, Tara, arrived EARLY to start shooting and I just let her do her thing. DH and I both did a quick "interview" before the wedding and she interviewed guests during the reception.

FLORIST: Russ Lawrence of Changing Seasons, Independence. A+
I first fell in love with Russ' work after visiting my original venue, The Elms, in Excelsior Springs. In my first meeting with him, he listened to every single idea I had - regardless of how ridiculous he may have thought it sounded. He went above and beyond for me and even helped my family stay in line during photos before and after the wedding. He took care of linens, lighting, centerpieces, our "alter", guest book "tree" and our bouquets were PAPER so all the girls can keep them forever :) The centerpieces were live plants.To see some of his work, please look at my wedding album on Leslie Spurlock Photography's page. Thanks!

HOTEL: Westin Crown Center - B
I don't like saying not nice things, but I was 100% impressed with the hotel until we actually checked in! They over charged not only our suite, but the rooms of some of my OOT guests. My mother woke up the morning after our wedding with a couple of critters in the bed - ROACHES! Gross! The only reason they get a "B" instead of a "C" is because of how they handled everything that went wrong. They did match the $99 rate I was quoted from The Elms, it smells absolutely beautiful when you walk in the door, it is conveniently located to shopping and historical sites such as Liberty Memorial and Union Station, etc. The natural foliage and waterfall inside was a perfect spot for some photos before the ceremony -- and even in the freezing temperatures, the entire wedding party had an awesome photo taken in front of the fountains in Crown Center! (Again, Leslie Spurlock Photography has photos).

CATERER: HyVee on 64th Street. A++++
Vicki and her kitchen staff were wonderful to work with! She did everything to ensure I would not have to worry about a thing! The food was average, but who really goes to a wedding for the food?? OUR CAKE was absolutely beautiful and uber delicious!!! They did the exact design DH requested for his bride :)

BARTENDER: Erin Cook A+++ (recommended by Patrick at Foundation Room)
She only charged us $30/hour b/c only about 65 of our 120 guests were drinkers. She helped compile a list of what and how much to order and worked her butt off to get everyone served promptly. She got a lot of compliments and made $$ with tips :)

DJ: Phil "Bo" Anderson w KC Limelight Productions A+
He rocked! Period :) Kept the music clean (edited) but everyone loved every minute and had a great time. For the last hour and a half we had karaoke!!! I got so much crap from a lot of people for having karaoke at our wedding reception, but he was absolutely swamped with a list of names wanting to sing -- but we ran out of time! (highly recommend karaoke being considered for your reception)

HAIR: Taylor King of The Cutting Room; Mansfield, Texas A++++
I went to three different salons here and got so fed up with all but one that I flew my friend, Taylor, from Dallas to do my wedding day hair and my bridesmaids. Her flight cost was cheaper than what it would have costed to have had trial after trial and then day of hair. She was fabulous and my hair still looked great the morning after!

MAKE-UP: Amy Stute; Mary Kay Rep A+
I had the best luck with all my girls... she made me feel like a princess while still making me look like ME!

NAILS: Nail Envogue; Zona Rosa A
They were affordable and so friendly! All of our nails looked wonderful.

REHEARSAL DINNER: 54th Street; Zona Rosa A+
We had a friend reserve our 30+ party an hour before we expected to arrive after the rehearsal. We wanted to be in the "bar" room and that's exactly what we got! The servers were awesome! And we had 20% off (up to 8 people) coupons saved from the little envelopes we kept getting in the mail, so we split our group into four so we could all save some $$. With most of the dinner attendees being from out of state, it was the perfect place for them to try something new. All our guests loved the experience, atmosphere and especially the gringo dip!!

REGISTRY: KHOL'S - C // BED BATH & BEYOND A
Khol's was terrible! The things we registered for were only available for a couple of weeks (with our Dec wedding, we registered late Sept and had ppl complaining for my Oct shower that half of our list was discontinued). We moved within that time frame as well and had gifts shipped to our previous address -- even though we changed the informatin in the store and over the phone and got several "confirmations" that everything was correct. Luckily, the gentleman that lives at our old address was honest enough to try to figure out how to get a hold of us... which was a huge hassel!
BB&B went above and beyond for us. We went to the location north of the river off Barry Rd. They first sat us down in an office and went over every little thing IN DETAIL like stemware, plateware, glassware, etc b/c once you're out in that big store all alone, it can get a little overwhelming. Once we chose what we wanted, she made note of it and we continued with a tour of the entire store! Our rep went over every department and shared in detail which brands were the best quality and price! Then, all we had to do for some of the items (esp kitchen) was tell her which brand we wanted, and she ordered every single thing of that brand for us! It was such an interesting experience. It did take a lot of time, but without that help, we would have been so lost!

DOC: Amanda Roberts from The Elms A+++
Yes, The Elms did close four months before our wedding, but they didn't run and hide. Amanda is their regular DOC and she was that and so much more! I truly consider her a dear friend after all that we've been through together. I am excited to see the final results of the renovations that postponed and changed a lot of our plans!

I believe that is all.

Happy wedding, ladies!

Re: Vendor Reviews from 12/9 wedding

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards