Missouri-Kansas City

2 bridal showers

I found out last night that my FMIL, along with her sister, are wanting to host a bridal shower for me. I also found out a few days ago that my brides maids are planning on hosting one as well, and both will be sometime in late March early April. My question is who do I invite to which one?My sister-in-law suggested sending out the invites to one shower and if someone is unable to make it to the first one, to invite them to the second.... but I don't want anyone to feel like they have to come. I figured his family would be invited to the one his mom is hosting, and my family to the one my BMs are hosting, but what do I do about everyone else? I have a decent list of friends to invite, but I feel a little lost. The age groups of the ladies I will be inviting are from 19-75... should I have one geared for the younger group? Should I have one of them be a couples shower? Any ideas on how to handle this would be great because I'm lost on this one...

Re: 2 bridal showers

• edited December 2011
    I agree with inviting his family to the one on his side, and your family to the shower on your side. Ask each of them how many they can host that might help you determine. I would say if your family knows your friends I would invite them to that one.

I'm not sure that I agree with sending invites again to those who couldn't make it to the first shower. Sometimes people don't come for a variety of reasons not just because they had plans for the first date/time. I would make sure you courtesy invite all your BM and MOH and your mom to both, and then let them decide if they come to both.

Have fun!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in this situation as well. My MOH is throwing one for me, and my FSIL is as well.  I will invite my friends to my MOH's, because I know it will more geared towards a younger crowd. Maybe think about where each is having it -- if one spot cannot accommodate all your friends, invite them to the other or split the list (maybe school friends to one and work friends to the other or something).
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having a combined one, because when my mom and FMIL started each planning one (in addition to one my co-workers were planning) all 3 guest lists shared a good number of potential invitees.  To avoid hurt feelings, I just told my FMIL and co-workers that I greatly appreciated the kind gesture of hosting a shower, but my mom is  also hosting one and may invite the same guests.  I did not say 'don't host one' or ' thanks but no thanks', but after I told them about my mom's shower the co-worker decided to host a bacheloerette party instead and my FMIL is co-hosting 1 shower with my mom now.  I think this is the better route to go for us so my mom can meet FI's family and what not, and vice versa.  I would compare guest lists and your timeline before deciding 100% on separate showers.
  • kelleyku05kelleyku05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom is throwing me a shower in Chicago and invited my BM's and FMIL as well and as my family and friends from that area.  My MOH is throwing me a shower here and invited all BM's, friends from here, and FI's family including FMIL. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies for the great suggestions. I think I'm going to make a list and see if there are a few people I can add to my FMIL's party and then just send the rest an invite to the one my bridesmaides are throwing. I'd like to invite some of the oldder ladies to the one his mom is throwing, but not sure how to do that without offending anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards