Missouri-Kansas City

wedding venue

Hello :)

I'm brainstorming venues that can hold up to 400 people. I know that seems like a ton, but we both have huges families and lots of friends. I thought about Union Station and also Memorial Hall. Has anyone had good luck with either of these and does anyone have an idea of a better venue?
Thank you in advance~
*victoria

Re: wedding venue

• Another place to try is Camelot Ballroom in Stanley KS. It might be far for you if you are considering downtown areas, but it is one enormous room and I did a cake there (I'm a cake designer) for about 400 guests. I'm guessing it could fit a lot more. It doesn't have a lot of character like Union Station but it fits your guest list and I'm almost positive it is cheaper!

I haven't been to/in a wedding at either Union Station or Memorial Hall. I did call Union Station inquiring about our wedding and the lady seemed kind of rude, very short, and when I asked if there was an outdoor space for the ceremony, either there or somewhere close, she got mad at me that I told her I didn't want to get married under the clock and she said "if you don't want all that we have to offer I suggest you go somewhere else." Sooooo I thanked her and crossed it off the list. Hopefully I just caught her on a bad day and others have/had better experience.
  • I've heard that weddings at Union Station are really nice that is probably a great choice.  Our venue is the Sheraton Overland Park.  My wedding is a lot smaller but I know they accommodate very large weddings up to 500 comfortably in their large ballroom.  
  • Hi! I actually just toured the Grand Ballroom (part of Bartle Hall) last Friday. It's modern, unique, has a cool view. Because it was new, everything seemed so clean and inviting. The price to rent the Grand Ballroom is actually really reasonable, too. The room can expand out to seat 3,000. The front section they can expand it to seats up to 700. So, the smallest configuration of the room is still big enough for 700. I knew the room was big, but now that I saw it, my concern is that it may be too big for me with 275 - 300 guests; it may feel empty because the room was so big. But with your 400, it just might work. I would suggest at least taking a tour! I've been speaking with Jacque Stock there, and Janet O'Hagan gave us the tour. They're both very helpful, efficient and professional. I hope that helps!
  • My venue is the Kauffman Performing Arts Center and it holds up to 700 people.  They have very few dates available but if you're willing to be flexible with the date(s), then it is a very unique location. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_wedding-venue-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:82Discussion:a79c35c9-09e9-439f-b1fc-b36898c23360Post:6b0f3980-a6fd-4d98-bab5-99d5cc506a05">Re: wedding venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]My venue is the Kauffman Performing Arts Center.
    Posted by Micaela2007[/QUOTE]

I just inquired about pricing with them over e-mail today. The lady got back to me very quickly.

I'm a little hesitant about considering them much because they aren't featured on The Knot. Do you think that's because they're such a new place?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_wedding-venue-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:82Discussion:a79c35c9-09e9-439f-b1fc-b36898c23360Post:07b7d6bf-f6cd-4434-8d8a-15a77ab9c476">Re: wedding venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wedding venue : Word of advice:  a LOT of the venues, caterers, wedding professonals, etc. are 'featured' on TK b/c they paid to be featured.   I picked up the local KC TK at the grocery stores and a LOT of high quality vendors weren't listed in their Top Tens -- b/c they don't need to pay to be there.  So I really wouldn't worry about whether a venue is featured here or not.  Check their actual references from people who have used their services.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.   Not only is it new, but it is a performing arts center first and not a hotel or banquet hall.  So, it's not considered by many brides.  I contacted them months before they opened and took a hard-hat tour.  Even with it not being completely finished, I still knew it was going to be a phenomenal place to have a reception. 

The great thing about it was that they were comparable if not cheaper than alot of the places nearby.  I'd be happy to give you more info on my experience so far.  The only thing is the dates they have available are very few. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards