Missouri-Kansas City

Cake issue - advice needed!

My wedding is less than 10 weeks away.  I am getting my cake through someone my caterer works with all the time.  Everything seems fine, except that this cake person does not have a contract.  She just wants to give me an invoice with very little detail on it and the price of the cake and just trust that everything is going to turn out as discussed.  I even wrote up a quick contract (literally one page) for her to review and she won't give me an answer as to whether it is fine, needs to be changed, etc.  I feel like we are getting down to the wire here and I really want to get this nailed down - I have emailed and called her twice - she just says she's busy and will get to it.  I'm starting to get really frustrated, but don't want to get rude with her - she is, after all, baking the cake!  Should I slam the hammer down, look for anothe baker (is there time??) or just forgo the contract?  Any other advice?  Thanks in advance!

Re: Cake issue - advice needed!

• lostmykeyslostmykeys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out any references on your baker?  Maybe post your baker here to see if anyone has worked with her before?

I would not go with just the recommendation of your caterer. 

It may be that the "invoice" is just the way the baker normally works and people who have used her in the past can reassure you that that's the way she does things and it will turn out fine.

But you sound stressed about the situation and the cake isn't something you just want to leave to chance.

If I couldn't get some independent recommendations for her and if you still don't like the way the situation is, I think I might be looking for another baker.
  • kissamarykissamary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My mom only works in contracts because it protects the baker and the bride and groom.  What would stop you from cancelling your cake at the last minute?  Seems a little risky on both your parts if there isn't a contract involved.

• dmnorthcraftdmnorthcraft member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, she has responded and all is fine.  I appreciate the feedback.
  • edited December 2011
    Glad it worked out!
    img_9694 Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards