Missouri-Kansas City

David's Bridal Bummed

So I went to David's Bridal tonight to begin the process of trying on dresses...it didn't go as well as planned. They had asked that I go on their website and print 5 or so dresses that I liked, but when I got there they didn't have any of them, so I basically wasted my time looking on their website. I'm going to keep looking but this may be a long process, like house hunting. 

Re: David's Bridal Bummed

• prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, they didn't have them? That's strange! I'm sorry about your experience.

Dress shopping can be a long process. It took me about 6 shopping trips to finally buy (twice to Mia's **awful experience**, once to Gown Gallery **loved them!!**, three times to DB **bought my dress there**).

Don't worry, you'll find something you love! Promise! :)

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    prideeinpynk if you don't mind me asking what happened at Mia's? The carry the Mori Lee Voyage line...and there are like 5 dresses in that line that I would like to look at.
  • prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, the first time I went in was okay. I found a dress I liked and it was all good.

Then I found out they were having a 'trunk show' for LaSposa, so I wanted to go back. When I arrived, I stood at the counter for no less than 3 minutes before I was acknowledged by one of the FIVE girls standing there (I was clearing my throat, doing whatever I could short of yelling, "WTF?!").

The trunk show was a joke. They supposedly had 'all' the dresses from the new line, but really they only had about 10 dresses (all of which looked like the rejects that they were having trouble selling). I had gone online and found 5 or 6 I wanted to try on, and they had none of them.

The attendant was abrasive and stuck up. She openly mocked a dress I'd liked from David's Bridal. She told me that I'd "get over it" when I said that beading on one dress was scratching under my arms. She gloated about being a pagant queen. It was so awkward and she just seemed to talk down to my mom and I.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    Sorry about your experience.  Which DB did you go to?  Other ones might have the dresses you want.

I think dress shopping has a lot to do with your consultant, wherever you go.

I got mine done in a weekend.  I went to DB first on Friday night, loved the 7th dress I tried on, found out it was a discontinued style (and thus on sale for $199), but they didn't have it in my size.  My consultant called another DB and they held it for me.  Saturday, I went to two other appointments (one at Natalie M, another at Ida's), and I didn't find anything I liked better, even ignoring the price.  So, I went to the second DB where they had the dress waiting for me, and I bought it that day.

Sometimes you just have to get lucky.  Hang in there and remember this part of it is fun! 
  • edited December 2011
    Aww I'm sorry :(  Maybe you could go back and see if someone else could help you! If you do I had an AMAZING consultant at the one in Lenexa. Her name was Laken. They didn't have the dress i wanted in my size so she looked up and found there was one in Indiana and they shipped it to my parents house!  That's strange they didn't have ANY of the dresses and that they didn't look at other DB stores :(  Maybe its was your consultants fault? I brought in a picture of a dress i loved and they didn't have one exactly like it but Laken found one that was close enough and let me try it on. I'm so sorry dress shopping didn't go as planned :(  try to stay positive, you WILL find one!! :)

• Jen72682Jen72682 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have a good experience at David's Bridals either. I went to the store in Overland Park. They sales lady was rude and was not helpful. My mom and I ended up walking out. I had a great experience at the one by Zona Rosa a few years ago when I got a bridesmaid's dress. Maybe try there? I also have been to Mia's Bridal - when I was a bridesmaid, I had a good experience. But, when I was looking for my bridal dress, I did not have a good experience. The lady led me to the back room with all the dresses and told me, "Ok, pick out which ones you want to try on." This is after I showed her pictures of ones I liked... Like I knew what the dresses looked like in the bags!

Have you tried Bridal Extrodinaire in Shawnee? I had a WONDERFUL experience there! They looked out what dresses I had found that I liked and found some that looked great with my body type. All 3 dresses they brought out looked good on me. But, I feel in love with #3. I REALLY enjoyed my experience there because I felt like they listened to me and they knew their product. They knew what dresses that looked good on my bodytype, which I appreciated! And they were not very pushy and didn't try to be salesmen. They were happy for me when I was happy about my dress. I even left for lunch and came back to buy the dress because I wanted to think about it. They were perfectly cool about letting me go and didn't push hard. Which was totally awesome!

Good luck in your searching!! You will love your dress when you find it, I promise!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I never went dress shopping anywhere but the Gown Gallery.  My experience there was FANTASTIC!  I went in with pictures of the dresses I liked, tried them (they actually had them all), and found "the one" within 5 dresses.  If you want to try them ask for Liz.  She's great! HTH
  • kelleyku05kelleyku05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Janay at Gown Gallery is also awesome.  I didn't end up getting my dress there because Mia's had the same one and it's a lot closer to my house, plus I had $50 off from the Bridal show.  I enjoyed my experience at both places.  I can't stand David's Bridal however.  I've gotten abot 5 bridesmaids dresses there and if there wasn't something wrong with the order then there was something wrong with the people working there.  I didn't even think about going in there for my dress.
  • swing2685swing2685 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had horrible experiences at David's Bridal and Gown Gallery. I went into both places knowing I didn't want strapless or poofy and I did want lace for around $1000 max. David's Bridal only showed me strapless and poofy and then sold my information. Gown Gallery showed me dresses I loved but the cheapest one was $5000 and then they were pissed when I said I wouldn't/couldn't buy it. I ended up walking out of GG and got an appt. at Bridal Extrodinaire. They were excellent! They accidently showed me a dress that was out of my price range and I fell in love with. They let me buy the sample in my price range and were extremely helpful in all aspects of the shopping process.
  • edited December 2011
    I wasted my time on their website as well, and when I got there they said I didn't exist in the system (which is funny because i had logged in to double check my selections that morning!) They had a catalog they had me flip through and just pulled a few from that...I would have liked to just look through the racks myself. I did find one dress I liked there, but it didn't compare to one I actually ended up buying.
    I suggest going to the Gown Gallery in downtown KC. My dress is a gorgeous Maggie Sottero and only cost $800. The main difference between the two stores was the qualirt of the material. My gown has a heavy beautiful rich sation....some of the dresses at davids felt like they were made of parachute material....
  • edited December 2011
    I went to Ida's, Mia's, David's Bridal, and Gown Gallery.  I liked Ida's but my experience with Gown Gallery and David's Bridal was just ok.  The David's Bridal they kept showing me dresses that weren't in the style I asked for.  Gown Gallery had the dress I loved but the sales lady I had wasn't very helpful or tentative.  She was helping me and one other person at the same time.  I ended up getting the dress through Mia's because it was closer to my house and my experience with them was great, I've been there for BM dresses and my gown.  My sales person was Andrea.  I agree that I think it all depends on the person who helps you.  I have also heard great things about Bridal Extroridaire. Don't worry you'll find "the one" it took me over 2 months to find my dress.  HTH
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for everyone's posts. I'm going to try Mia's next, they have a few dresses in stock (I confirmed, in my size to try on) that I'm really excited about.
  • HammysGirlHammysGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry that experience sucked :-( I've only ever used DB for bridesmaids gown (both for mine & other people's weddings) b/c I heard so many horror stories about DB I refused to use them for a wedding gown site. I used Gown Gallery (wasn't exactl y"wowed" but I found *the dress* and this was prior to their new location) and have used Bridal Extraordinare back when it was Evening Extraordinare (same management, from what I know) and had a good expereince then, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards