April 2013 Weddings

Music

Hey ladies. Over the weekend FI and I started to think about the music for the ceremony and reception. I am amazed at how many songs we have to pick out! Here is what I have so far. We are missing a lot still.

Ceremony
Prelude (guests arriving and being seated):  ??
Processional: Canon in D
Recessional: ??
Postlude (guests leaving ceremony):  ??

Reception
Bridal Party Entrance: Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Song
Bride and Groom Entrance: ??
B & G First Dance: I Won't Give Up - Jason Mraz
Father/Daughter Dance: In My Life - The Beatles
Mother/Son Dance: ??
Guest's First Dance: ??
Cake Cutting: ??
Bouquet Toss: All The Single Ladies
Garter Toss: Mission Impossible Theme Song
Last Dance: ??

Look at all those question marks! I need some inspiration ladies. What music will you be playing?

135 invited image | 45 Yes image | 11 No image | 79 Still need to reply! image
RSVP Deadline: March 23
Wedding Countdown Ticker
April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaids Dresses

Re: Music

• vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    For the Mother/Son song, I would ask your FI's mom if she has a certain song she would like to dance to.

For your last song you could do "Closing Time"

Guest first dance you could do something like the hustle or whatever, I feel like when people hear that they know it is dancing time.

Your prelude and postlude could be the same song, or you don't have to have music playing at all.
  • edited February 2013
    Ceremony
    Prelude (guests arriving and being seated):  Whatever the musicians want to play at the church - it's a Catholic wedding so it all has to be religious
    Processional for Parents/BMs: Ave Maria
    Processional for Bride: Canon in D
    Recessional: Ode to Joy
    Postlude (guests leaving ceremony):  Again, if the musicians decide something...probably just Ode to Joy being riffed

Reception
    Parent Entrance: ?? Letting my dad have input - he needs to decide by Saturday though when we meet with the DJ!
    Bridal Party Entrance: Say Hey (I Love You) - Michael Franti
    Bride and Groom Entrance: Accidentally in Love - Counting Crows
    B & G First Dance: Yer So Bad - Tom Petty
    Father/Daughter Dance: You're My Best Friend - Queen
    Mother/Son Dance: ?? (FI needs to get on this!!)
    Guest's First Dance: I don't think we're picking this. I'm trusting my DJ to know the best way to do things.
    Cake Cutting: Again, I'm letting the DJ decide
    Bouquet Toss: Again, letting DJ decide
    Last Dance: You've Lost That Loving Feeling - Righteous Brothers (it's a thing with FI and his groomsmen)

As you see, I'm trusting my musicians and DJ on a lot of this. Can you do the same? I mean, unless you have a strong preference, your DJ might have some good ideas on how to get the party started or what songs to do for a cake cutting. Same with ceremony musicians - they probably have a stock of songs they just play for people walking in or out. For the final song, like VK said, you could do something like "Closing Time" or just pick a song that you and FI love or you know your guests would go nuts for.

Entrances are a bit harder so it depends what tone you want to hit. But I think it's a fun time to either get in some music you wouldn't otherwise play (I'm obsessed with the crows so it was my opportunity to get them into the wedding somehow) or convey a message you like, even if you don't want to hear the whole song (as you won't need a whole song).
  • We aren't doing dancing at our reception - just dinner - so we made a 3 hour soundtrack to play during dinner and picked these songs for the ceremony;

Ceremony
    Prelude (guests arriving and being seated):  Come LIve with me - ray charles

Processional
    : Longing to belong - Eddie Vedder

Bride's Entrance: Angel - Jack Johnson

Recessional: The Light - Common

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    MARCH SIGGY CHALLENGE (for April 2013 brides): Bridesmaid dresses Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:2da1719e-ef24-4309-9c8d-04b969b57478Post:237fe19d-6767-40fc-aaea-59339eca28ae">Re: Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ceremony Prelude (guests arriving and being seated):   Whatever the musicians want to play at the church - it's a Catholic wedding so it all has to be religious Processional for Parents/BMs : Ave Maria Processional for Bride : Canon in D Recessional: Ode to Joy Postlude (guests leaving ceremony):   Again, if the musicians decide something...probably just Ode to Joy being riffed Reception Parent Entrance : ?? Letting my dad have input - he needs to decide by Saturday though when we meet with the DJ! Bridal Party Entrance : Say Hey (I Love You) - Michael Franti Bride and Groom Entrance : Accidentally in Love - Counting Crows B & G First Dance : Yer So Bad - Tom Petty Father/Daughter Dance: You're My Best Friend - Queen Mother/Son Dance : ?? (FI needs to get on this!!) Guest's First Dance : I don't think we're picking this. I'm trusting my DJ to know the best way to do things. Cake Cutting: Again, I'm letting the DJ decide Bouquet Toss: Again, letting DJ decide Last Dance : You've Lost That Loving Feeling - Righteous Brothers (it's a thing with FI and his groomsmen) As you see, I'm trusting my musicians and DJ on a lot of this. Can you do the same? I mean, unless you have a strong preference, your DJ might have some good ideas on how to get the party started or what songs to do for a cake cutting. Same with ceremony musicians - they probably have a stock of songs they just play for people walking in or out. For the final song, like VK said, you could do something like "Closing Time" or just pick a song that you and FI love or you know your guests would go nuts for. Entrances are a bit harder so it depends what tone you want to hit. But I think it's a fun time to either get in some music you wouldn't otherwise play (I'm obsessed with the crows so it was my opportunity to get them into the wedding somehow) or convey a message you like, even if you don't want to hear the whole song (as you won't need a whole song).
    Posted by vonclancy[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I definitely can trust my DJ with a lot of these songs. The thing about the DJ though is that we don't discuss which songs we want until the week of the wedding (like Monday or Tuesday of the wedding week). So <em>just in case</em> he doesn't have any good suggestions I wanted to have a few ideas as backup. </div>
    135 invited image | 45 Yes image | 11 No image | 79 Still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 23
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaids Dresses
  • We're doing Trumpet Tune for our recessional.  It seems upbeat and fun, while still maintaining elegance and class.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIUug4xne00

We're only doing a luncheon after the ceremony, not a full reception so I can't help with the other song choices.  My last dance would have been "My Way" by Frank Sinatra, as a nod to my grandma, who passed away in 2002 and also the fact that we stuck to our guns and had the wedding that WE wanted, rather than caving in to the family's demands to change it to a local "cookie cutter" wedding that would have made us miserable. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Ceremony
    Prelude (guests arriving and being seated):  I think we're playing a slideshow during this time
    Processional: Canon in D for the bridal party, Here Comes the Bride for me
    Recessional: Wedding march from a midsummers night dream 
    Postlude (guests leaving ceremony):  Whatever the pianist plays, this I don't care about

Reception
    Bridal Party Entrance: Can't decide! Either the beginning song from Grease by Franki Valli or Hella Good by No doubt
    Bride and Groom Entrance: Also can't decide.. between One More Time or Move your feet, both by daft punk
    B & G First Dance: Can't take my eyes off you- Lady antebellum
    Father/Daughter Dance: This I'm doing with my grandfather. Stay Gold- stevie wonder
    Mother/Son Dance: Do I make you proud- taylor hicks (PERFECT mother son song)
    Guest's First Dance: Don't care, whatever is on my must play list for the DJ
    Cake Cutting: At last- etta james
    Bouquet Toss: Jumpin jumpin- Destinys child
    Garter Toss: Need you tonight- INXS
    Last Dance: Last dance- donna summer
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:2da1719e-ef24-4309-9c8d-04b969b57478Post:84dd923d-f563-4cf8-9b91-ca4c4a0f9e83">Re: Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Music : I definitely can trust my DJ with a lot of these songs. The thing about the DJ though is that we don't discuss which songs we want until the week of the wedding (like Monday or Tuesday of the wedding week). So just in case he doesn't have any good suggestions I wanted to have a few ideas as backup. 
    Posted by Blondy214[/QUOTE]

Huh...good call...maybe I should plan a few "back ups" for our meeting with ours on Saturday. I really hope he just decides! My dad is a huge music guy so he's really instilled in me a sense of needing music to be important and meaningful. I would have a hard time just picking something arbitrary if it's my choice!
  • Oh man, we got the form from the DJ and there were so many songs to pick.  Here's what we came up with.  
    CeremonyPrelude (guests arriving and being seated):  Lite Contemporary (Piano Solos, Guitar Solos)Processional: Mothers: Four Seasons - Spring - VivaldiBridal PartyWedding March- Mendelssohn (or maybe just still Four Seasons)Bridal Entrance: Bridal Chorus from Lohengrin - WagnerSand Ceremony:  If I should fall behind - Bruce Springsteen (maybe just music)Recessional: chorus from Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder (get the party started :)Postlude (guests leaving ceremony):  Lite Contemporary (Piano Solos, Guitar Solos)
    ReceptionBridal Party EntranceSirius - The Alan Parsons ProjectBride and Groom Entrance: same -  Sirius - The Alan Parsons ProjectB & G First Dance: Better Together - Jack Johnson Father/Daughter and Mother/Son Dance: In My Life - The Beatles (us too!)Guest's First Dance: DJ's choiceCake Cutting: whatever happens to be playing then, probably turned down someBouquet Toss: All The Single LadiesGarter Toss: Big PimpinLast Dance: ?? - Only one we don't know yet

I had not idea how many specific songs needed choosing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards