Ohio-Columbus

Tanning - Suggestions?

Hey fellow Knotties!

Sooo, our wedding is two months away (and I know a few of you ladies have that June 26th date, too! Hooray for hitting the two month mark!) and I'm looking into different tanning options. My skin is a bit pale (thanks, Ohio winter), and student teaching is keeping me inside most of the day. So, I'm considering different tanning options. I've used self-tanning lotion before, with mixed results. What are everyone's thoughts on spray-tans or tanning beds? I've never tried either. Also, how early should I start tanning? I know it's a good idea to give new things like tanning and such a trial run well before the wedding, in case something were to go horribly wrong.

I definitely don't want to do anything extravagant--I'd just rather not look like a ghost drifting down the aisle!

Katie

Re: Tanning - Suggestions?

• BrittBritt22BrittBritt22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Spray tan.  Not only can tanning beds give you skin cancer, they are just disgusting.  I have worked in more than one tanning salon here in Columbus and GROSS.  If you saw what was in that bed before you got in, you would not want to get it there.  And can you really trust that high school kid behind the counter to clean it all up properly?  Yuck.

I never had good luck with the Mystic tanning, on me it always looked a little orangey but I have seen lots of people who do it and it looks great on them.  Another option is to look at someone coming and airbrush the tan on you.  That always looks really natural, and since they are personalizing it to you, they can contour you a bit. Laughing
  • CLECyclistCLECyclist member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're not going to a tanning bed, have someone airbrush the tan on you. Mystic tans always left my heels orange/brown (as in, it looks like a REALLY bad stain) and can discolor your skin around the fingernails. I'll probably do that (have someone airbrush me), or maybe even just a tanning bed - I bike a lot during the spring and summer and it'll leave me with really odd tanlines if I don't do something!

TTC since October 2011.
    DX with Non-IR PCOS in October 2012.
    Missing RIGHT tube due to a prior surgery to remove cyst-zilla (40 lbs!) at age 12.
    HSG showed tube was blocked - cleared by dye. DON'T DO CLOMID WITHOUT AN HSG!
    Cycle #8 with 50mg Clomid & TI = BFN
    Cycle #9 with 50mg Clomid & TI = No response.
    Cycle #10 with Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel shot = ???
    CD12 ultrasound showed no follicles above 10mm.
    CD16 ultrasound showed no follicles above 10mm (WTF)
    Clomid 200mg CD 16-22, repeat u/s on 3/11
  • edited December 2011

Personally, I think people look best when they are a littte tan and not overly tan.  You'll have four weeks from Memorial Day until your wedding to get a natural tan, which should be enough to get you a nice glow.  I would just do that.  Still wear sunscreen though, so you don't get burnt.  I'm getting married the week before you (6/19) and am just planning on going with a natural tan.

And yes, I know that no real tan is good for your skin, but I'm going to be bad for my wedding!

• edited December 2011

If you are going to go tanning... I would start now. It takes awhile to get some good color and build a base. I know tanning is horrible but I go once a week in the winter to keep my spirits up because i have a tendency to feel blah without a little bit of sunlight. just don't tan too much too soon and scortch yourself.

• fallbride'10fallbride'10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was having some of the same questions... I'm in a wedding at the end of May and I'm super pale still from winter. I don't think I'd be able to build up a good enough tan in a few weeks but I've never done a spray tan so that makes me nervous. Has anyone done a spray tan...if so where??
    November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I did a spray tan for our e-pics. I used Mukha Spa in the Short North and had great results. I also set up appointment with them for my wedding next week, and they 2 days before is a good time to go. I know people who own spray tan businesses and they come to your house, but I don't want all of the color to clean up in my house and leave to windows open for ventilation- too much work and clean-up! That's why I go somewhere to get the spray tan.
  • edited December 2011
    You can always do a stand up bed if you have issues with the lay down beds. I also worked in a tanning salon and there were some gross beds to clean up.! I still choose to go before trips or if I plan on being in the sun after winter. I had sun poisoning 2 summers ago and it was the most miserable experience of my life. If you plan on going somewhere tropical/sunny/beach for your honeymoon you might want to do yourself a favor and get some real color on your skin!
  • edited December 2011
    I def agree with pp that spray tans are much healthier than going to the tanning beds. I've started getting an airbrush tan through the company Tan Envy and I absolutely LOVE it. It's made from all natural ingredients, no gross chemicals and it looks natural and lasts about a week. One of my friends does this as a side business and I'm happy to pass along the info to anyone interested.

HTH!!
  • TropicalglazeTropicalglaze member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Airbrush tan!  I loved it..I am pretty fare (blonde hair) and I didnt want to look unnatural.  But I used polo tan in Gahanna. It only lets you get as dark as you would naturally get.  It was 40 bucks and theres a coupon in the local ent. book for ten dollars off!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards