April 2013 Weddings
Options

Future GrandFather-Inlaw passed away :(

My fiance's grandfather passed away on Saturday. He/we were very close to him and are having a hard time dealing with this. ( This is actually the first time I have ever lost anyone so I really dont know what to do or how to handle this) It was so important for Pop Pop ( thats what we called him) to attend the wedding. In fact, the entire time he was in the hospital before he passed, that was all he talked about. I am already trying to think of ways of how we can honor him at the wedding. Does anyone have any ideas?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Future GrandFather-Inlaw passed away :(

• Options
    Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I am soooo sorry for your loss sending HUGS your way. For me, I lost my father going to be 3 years in January, and FI lost his mother going to be two years in February, both to cancer. I still have a hard time. There is not one day that goes by that I do not think about my dad, and getting married and not having him there. I can say it does get easier, but I cry a lot thinking about things etc.

We are honoring both my dad and his mom by having a memorial candle, and we will light it during our ceremony. FIs dad is an artist and will be drawing portraits of my dad and his mom which will be displayed in frames at the ceremony. From there they will be brought into the reception and the candle will be going the entire night.

I have heard of people doing a lot of different things like a candle, donation to a charity in their honor, photos of that person displayed, or photos of the bride and groom with that person etc. HTH!
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    That is a beautiful idea! I am sorry for your loss as well, I cant imagine how tough this is for you both.I Thank you for the HUGS! I had no idea it would be so hard. The funeral isnt till Thursday, so its been a really tough week for the family. Please continue send positive energy this way! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss.  Stay strong.

My grandfather passed away a couple of weeks before my cousins wedding.  They honoured him by dedicating the slideshow to him and at the church the pastor mentioned him.  My grandfather's wife still attended the ceremony and had a picture of him at their table which was sweet.

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.  It's so hard when you've never had to go through anything like that before. 

My grandma passed away about a month before my sister's wedding.  My family does this weird thing where we add little trinkets to the casket for the person to "take with them" - their favorite hat, a bottle of their favorite beer, etc.  My sister included one of her wedding invites.  I thought it was sweet - my grandma was in and out of a coma, sometimes with it and sometimes not, but she talked about the wedding quite a bit.  At the actual ceremony, my sister kept a place at one of the tables where Gram would have sat and put a red rose and a lit votive candle on the plate.  I thought it was sweet and not too "in your face."  The people who would have sat with Gram at that table understood, and thought it was a great way to remember her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Options
    .chigirl2013...I'm so thankful I read your post this morning. Today was the funeral and I was able to place one of our invitations in the casket. It was very emotional but we were so glad that he was able to have one with him. Thank you so much
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It made my sister feel a lot better, too.  Again, I'm sorry you had to say goodbye.  It's never easy.  But now you know that, despite whatever health problems he had during his life, he WILL be there in spirit and nothing will stop him.  *HUGS*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards