April 2013 Weddings

Vent

My Fi isn't really into wedding planning. If its meeting venders or tasting food yes, but he couldn't care less about decor, favors ect. So I have been relying on my mom to help me with decisions. I am very close with my mom and since my MOH is in another state, and my other BM is busy with her own wedding plans, its alot of help. My mom has started talking to her family about the wedding plans. I guess they are really excited about it because: 

1- I come from a very rural area, and most people don't have big weddings. 
2- Noone else in my family will probably get married for a long time.

So they have been getting really pushy with my wedding plans. So far I have heard:

1- "I don't like this neutral color thing, weddings are supposed to be bright"
2- "You really should wear pearls, I just think it would look better." Right after I said I wanted very minimal jewelry.
3- "you should use my friend for ___________"
4- "the guys are going to wear tennis shoes??"

Its OUR wedding! We are both very laid back people, and I am trying to incorporate our personalities into the wedding, because I fell in love with a guy who wears adidas, and he fell in love with a girl who doesn't wear much jewelry. I don't want to pretend to be other people on the day that we are celebrating our love! ugghhhhh
sorry for the vent

Re: Vent

• These are from my aunts and grandmother, my mom loves my ideas and can "see my vision."
  • My advice is to try and ignore it. Or change the subject. I have been bombarded from all angles with what I should do and I just nod my head and say okay.

Like you, my FI and I are pretty low maintenance. I don't wear makeup, I only wear my ring and a thin chained necklace, and I love wearing sweatpants. Our wedding will be about us, who we are and what we love.

If ignoring them doesn't work, then shock them. Tell them you are going with extreme awful colors. You plan on wearing a red wedding dress and you're going to do a full face of makeup and bangle bracelets up your arm. Hopefully that will get them to shut up lol.

• erbear84erbear84 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I know it's hard to remember but your wedding is about YOU and your FI, not your family.  MY mom and I have been butting heads over many things, from me not getting married in a church to me not having a cake and now to me not walking down the aisle to the wedding march.  My FI isn't involved in the minutae either - I wouldn't ask him to be.  But I would ask him to help you present an united front against the unwanted "advice".  My FI and are united against everything my mom (or his mom) throws at us.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Hang in there, unfortunately when it comes to wedding planning I feel everyone thinks that they are experts, and they will openly share what they think is great or how your wedding should be. It is your wedding, and you can do whatever you want!!!! I am keeping majority of my plans for decor/diy items  to just myself, my mom, my sisters and of course FI. They will be the primary people helping me, and I don't want to deal with hearing well you should "do it this way, or what about this."
     I would maybe also have a talk with your mom about telling family about your plans. I would somehow phrase it along the lines of wanting to keep your plans a secret so people can be surprised etc. HTH!
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks for the advice! I am definately going to talk to my mom tomorrow about keep things between us, because it is really getting out of hand and stressing me out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards