April 2013 Weddings

Small wedding/DW brides - are you registering?

I've had people ask us where we're registered because they want to get us something as a wedding gift. I wasn't planning on registering because our wedding is only immediate family and the cost of attending a destination wedding is steep, so we weren't expecting any gifts at all. 

The people asking are people NOT invited to the wedding, and they know they're not invited.  I'm not having a shower (that I know of) and we're not having any sort of celebration after we return.  I've told them this, and they don't care.  They're still planning on buying us a wedding gift anyway.

Does this mean I need to register now?  I don't want to seem greedy, but I also don't want to end up with stuff we'll never use if people insist on buying gifts anyway. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker
58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
RSVP Deadline: March 8th

Re: Small wedding/DW brides - are you registering?

• Yes, we registered before we changed up our wedding to just immediate family/wedding party. We're keeping it. If anyone wants to get us a present- they can get something off of there if they'd like! It also is just helping us remember what we want- and you get a coupon for a discount after the fact too...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If they buy things from BBB or Target, or honestly most places, and you REALLY don't like it, you can return it with no problem usually. If you're having a shower it should only be the people invited to the wedding, and if its not that many there's no reason to have a huge registry. If you want, maybe register for less than 20 or so items and people would get the hint that that's your favorite store and get you gift cards or something for there. Don't feel compelled to HAVE to make a registry if you don't want to though.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • People want to buy us stuff. We'll register, but we're going to get things we actually want and find practical, not upgrade our entire house. If upgrading is what you want, great, but it's not us. Another set of sheets & food processor? That would be awesome! I'm also aiming for lower-priced stuff because I know a lot of my friends are poorish (grad school & non-profits) but still want to shower me with gifts & love. 
  • I'm doing a destination wedding and we are keeping it small as well. I registered for a few things just in case people want to get us something. I don't think it's gift grabby/greedy to register. If we don't get anything, no big deal. If you don't want to register, don't do it. People can always give you gift cards or money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just register for a few items!
  • ChiGirl2013ChiGirl2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Unfortunately, there isn't a single store around here that won't give you a hard time when you try to return things without a receipt. I learned that the hard way when I had my baby shower.  Not to mention it took FOREVER to figure out what came from where, who carried what, etc.  It took me several weeks to get it all straightened out, and in the end, most of it ended up oin Craigslist because nobody would take it back - and it only sold for a fraction of what it was worth.  I'd rather avoid that if I can.  Target was the absolute worst - they won't even talk to you if you don't have a receipt or the credit card that was  used to make the purchase.  Even our BB&B will only take back 3 items a year - which, from what I hear, is unusual for them. 

I honestly don't care about the gifts - that's not why I'm getting married.  But everyone is telling me it's greedy to have a registry, yet there are people asking about registries because they intend to buy us something even though they know there's no shower and they're not invited to the wedding.  I guess they just feel generous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • I don't think we will be registering. All of our guests are either family who are all making a transatlantic trip to the wedding, or friends who are fellow grad students. In total probably about 30 people will be at our wedding. If people who can't make it or aren't invited ask about registries, I think we will just tell them we aren't registered but we are saving up for the next stage in our life (we will very likely be relocating within the first six months of our marriage).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards