April 2013 Weddings
Options

How did you meet your FH?

I'd love to hear everyone's stories!

I met my FH about 17 years ago. We both went to the same youth group. I don't remember much about him - I knew his brother better - other than he was the weird guy that did flips, lol. Almost 6 months ago we reconnected via FB and now we're getting married in 11 days!

Everyone else?

Re: How did you meet your FH?

• Options
    We met at basic officer training on Long Island, NY four years ago.  Even though we got there at the same time, he was getting ready to leave training to go be a pilot and was only around for two weeks, while I had to stay for four and a half months to learn how to drive a ship.

We kept in touch after he left and I flew down to Tampa to visit him for the Fourth of July in 2009.  We spent the weekend at SeaWorld and Epcot.  We went our separate ways for a couple of years during my sea tour and we both dated other people.  When it was time for me to transfer to FL for my land assignment, he was still with his ex gf but he was assigned to a week-long project 45 min away from where I'm currently stationed.  We hung out every night and there wasn't any funny business at all but he knew what he had to do.  He broke up with his ex that next weekend and drove back up here the following weekend and it's been history ever since.

We made our dating life come full circle when he popped the question at Epcot in February of 2012 Kiss
  • Options
    We met in a class we both had to take for our MA degrees, even though we were in different departments. That was 4.5 years ago. :) Still can't believe we're getting married in only 8 days!
  • Options
    Aww, sweet stories!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I think eharmony is to thank!! I went to my friend's wedding, she had met her husband off eharmony. There I met a girl who worked near me, so we became friends. She had met my FI on eharmony, though they didn't connect and became friends. So then she set us up, and we met at a fro yo place one day as a blind date, and almost 2 years later are getting married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Blondy214Blondy214 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2013
    We met 7 years ago while we were in high school. FH has an identical twin brother, and they drove a jeep wrangler at the time. I pulled up behind them at a stop light with my sisters in the car and we thought they looked cute so I honked the horn and waved/smiled/flirted (whatever it is that 17 year old girls do!). They thought we were crazy and were laughing. Then the light turned green and they drove off and pulled into a shopping center because they were meeting some friends for lunch. I also pulled into the shopping center because I had to go to the bank and it just so happened to be in the same shopping center (FI thinks I was just stalking him, but I promise that I had to go to the bank lol)

Anyway, we were leaving the bank and saw their Jeep and I decided the leave them a note on the car with my phone number. They called a few hours later and the rest is history!

Our dating life came full circle also when he proposed in the parking lot where we met. It was perfect!
    135 invited image | 45 Yes image | 11 No image | 79 Still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 23
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaids Dresses
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    We met at a mutual friends house 7 years ago. We were 16 and 19. We became best friends and a few months later a couple.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I was a professional belly dancer maybe 8 or 9 years ago. I worked at festivals, educating children about middle eastern culture, and church events. A friend asked if I would dance at her wedding. I first met my darling there, he was in awe of me he says. Our groups of friends overlapped so we talked every time we saw each other. 4 years ago I finally asked him on a date. After a year of dating we decided to part ways(we had a lot going on) but we stayed friends and still talked. A year and a half ago he had a girl hitting on him at a party and when he saw me walking up he told her I was his girlfriend. So here we are 18 days until we get married and I move in.
  • Options
    We met on eHarmony!  I want to apply to be on a commercial after the wedding but FI needs some convincing. lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_how-did-you-meet-your-fh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:be61b32d-e1b9-4d10-8074-75e54beed65cPost:5106eeab-d7a0-4434-82d5-400a4ea8e861">Re:How did you meet your FH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Great post BTW
    Posted by abbyizzymommy[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks!</div>
  • Options
    We met on plentyoffish.com. I was hesitant about online dating but a couple of my friends insisted. I'm glad I took thier advice.

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    I was dating his friend and he was dating mine. We went out on double dates and hung out together as a group very often. My friend cheated on him and left him a total of three times, and each time he would talk to me for advice. My boyfriend was absolutely terrible to me so I would go to him for advice whenever he got really bad. I would often have cute romantic dreams about my FI, like holding hands and walking in a field. I would wake up, my head spinning about how I could feel this strongly for him! When I found out that my boyfriend had been cheating on me for months with his high school ex, I finally admitted to my FI my feelings for him and wouldn't you know he felt the same way back! This happened about a year and 4 months ago and I couldn't be happier!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker photo boygirl_zps7b73636b.jpg
  • Options
    phoenix870509phoenix870509 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013

The first time I met my FI was October 29, 2005. Only reason I know that is because I have the movie ticket stub (I collect them from all the movies I've been to). My friend Jodi had called me up and was like "Let's go to the movies!" The only reason I was invited was because I had the car. She also said her (boy)friend would be coming with. So that's when I met him. We hung out a time or two after that then they broke up and I didn't see him anymore.

Fast foward a year. I was elected building council senator for the building I was living on on campus and had to go to a meeting at 8 am on a Sunday. There I met this guy Matt, and we hit it off. I had just broken up with a guy and Matt was dating a girl, Denise. She and I got along well and became fast friends. Then I got this crazy idea I could cook and invited the two to be my test subjects, which they agreed to. One night I'm coming home late from class and Matt calls me: "I didn't know you knew Den's brother!" "I know Den's brother?" I replied. So Matt put him on the phone and I invited him over, thinking it was someone from the lab I had just left. He agreed. So a few hours later they arrive and I see my FI! The first words out of my mouth were "Oh, Robert. Jodi's Robert. Jodi lives here." It was awkward needless to say.

5 weeks later we were dating and 5 years later he proposed and now we're getting married in 17 days!

• Options
    Love this thread!  I also met my FI online (okCupid).  My friend met her now husband on there and convinced me to do it.  I had just moved back home after finishing a volunteer program and was unemployed, living with my parents, with no car (what a catch!).  FI pursued me because I had written on my dating profiel that I wanted to meet someone who lived in a lighthouse and his mother is actually a lighthouse keeper. 
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker 168 invited image | 61 are coming image | 10 can't make it image | 97 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 9th
  • Options
    I met my FI at work.  LOL he hit on me right away and wouldn't stop!  He asked for my phone number in case he needed something for work and then he kept texting me!  Finally after about a month of this I agreed to have drinks with him after work for happy hour.  He wasn't my type at first, but he is so sweet and the funniest person I have ever met.  We have so much in common and we never looked back since that first happy hour!  Still to this day, almost 3 years later he makes me laugh everyday, buys me random cards or flowers or writes me notes all the time.  He is a keeper.  LOL I confessed to my Dad that I thought he was dorky in the beginning and my Dad had a good talk with me about what is important in life and what is not - plus he insisted that FI was not dorky!  I'll have to say I agree now - but at first he was a major dork!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
    RSVP Deadline: February 28th
  • Options

Another eharmony success story here!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Spunky414Spunky414 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    We met at a party at his fraternity. I was there super late playing Mario Kart with about 7 guys and kicking serious butt. When I went to go home I realized how late it was and asked for someone to walk me home and he volunteered. He was very polite and stopped at the door to my sorority suite. I facebooked him to thank him the next day and we ended up talking and ended up hanging out the next few weekends. I was very resistant to getting into a relationship but he was very persistant. 

I love this thread! So interesting to here how people met. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We worked at the same pizza place during college.  We hung out with the same crowd and went to a lot of the same parties.  When we met, I had just had a terrible  dating another coworker and had a terrible break up so I refused to date coworkers any more.  FI and I worked together for a year and a half and I firmly stuck to my no coworkers rule, I figured there were plenty of other people I wouldn't be forced to work with if things went sour! Well, the year and a half passed and FI graduated and got a big boy job.  As soon as he put in his to weeks, I made my move and asked him on a date.  That was 6 years ago and now we are almost married. 
  • Options
    faile556faile556 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    Ours is kind of a long, funny, drama filled, story.

See, I have a friend we'll call J. I've known J since middle school, she's a good friend and while we may not agree on how to run our lives overall we get along well and have a good time hanging out. Well J was dating a guy named G. It was off and on and up and down and G was unable to commit , I guess that's the best way to put it. J and G decided to have an "open relationship" and J set off to find a suppliment to her unfufilling first boyfriend G.

I told you... Drama drama drama.

So J is perusing Facebook and sees my FH on a friend of a friends page I guess. She messages him , starts talking to him regularly and eventually invites him out to meet him face to face. FH goes because he's too polite to say no. J instantly develops a massive crush on FH and proceeds to bug the crap out of him for the next few weeks to meet back up again. She finally convinces him to come out to a pub quiz night and ... here's the kicker, invites her current boyfriend G and me along because FH was bringing his roommate.
    FH and I sit down across the table from one another and from what other people tell us, we essentially ignored everyone else the whole night, by only talking to each other. They all knew something was going on before we did.

At this point J is still pursuing FH. I'm not, at all. Multiple reasons really namely J was interested in him, but also he was divorced, had a kid, etc. All things I was not looking for, not to mention I knew J was interested in him. J continues inviting FH and me out to group events. Her birthday weekend was the next weekend and FH and I literally spent 2 days together ... in a group. This continues for the next couple of months ... J trying to get FH. FH flat out refusing her advances but still hanging out because he wanted to see me. FH and I pretending like neither of us "felt" anything between us. I was in flat out denial to myself about this really cool awesome terribly handsome guy that I was SO not interested in... yeah total contridiction

Finally one weekend we'd all made plans to meet up for pub quiz again. FH and i showed up, but no one else did. One after the other they all texted and said they weren't going to make it. FH and I spent 3 hours alone, drinking in a bar and having a great time. He claims this was the first night he was *going* to kiss me but couldn't work up to it.

The next day I tell J that FH and I are going to happen and I'm sorry but I wasn't trying to step on her toes or usurp her pursuit... it was just happening. FH had flat out refused her advances and bf/gf requests multiple times at this point ... he was not interested and J knew it, she just didn't like it. Note at this point nothing had happened, but I knew it was going to... I wanted to make sure she knew that no one was going behind her back or anything.

That week FH and I had our first official alone date and our wedding day will mark 2 years since that fateful night. That was the night we both jumped in with both feet and we haven't looked back since.

J got over it fairly quickly once she remembered she already had a boyfriend and recognized that FH had told her he wasn't interested multiple times. J & G are coming to the wedding, they're still off and on unfortunately.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

April 2013 March Siggy - Bridesmaid Dress

• Options
    I met my FH through our friends, his friend was dating mine. I was only 13 and he was 16. We hung out only that once, but continued to talk online and on the phone. We both got into other relationships and didnt talk for 3 years. After both breaking things off in our relationships, w figured why not pick up where we left off. :) Best decision ever! We've been together now almost 7 years and are getting married ten years to the day that we met! :) April 5th, 2013.... 10 days! :)
  • Options
    We're another online dating (okcupid.com) success story.  After having frustrating relationship after frustrating relationship with guys I met in bars or through friends, I decided to try online dating.  I had met a couple guys on there, was in an 8 month relationship with one and even had him move in.  Realized quickly that was a horrible idea, broke up with him, and a month or so later decided to get back out there.  Went on a few dates and was dating two guys (FH & another) for about a month and a half until I just couldn't stop thinking about FH and broke it off with the other guy.  The rest is history and we're getting married in 25 days!  As Rascal Flatts would say, God Bless this Broken Road!

• Options
    We met in college. He sat behind me in Shakespeare class and always asked to borrow a pen or pencil (no, he wasn't actually trying to flirt - he's just dumb and never brought one), but we never really talked. We also had an acting class together. I was directing a play that semester and made an announcement in both classes that we needed a couple more guys to be in the ensemble. FI volunteered - because he thought I was cute - but ended up dropping out after one rehearsal when he realized he was going to be a fairy (it was Midsummer). Didn't talk much after that until a mutual friend cast us both in a scene for the acting class. We ended up chatting after rehearsal one day, where he informed me that he didn't like pale girls (I'm about as white as they come - he later clarified that he just said it because someone else we were talking to was ragging on him about not thinking this other girl, who is also incredibly pale, is hot). So I thought I had no chance. Then, later that night, we ended up at the same bar and he approached me again to start chatting. Having a few beers in me at that point, I decided to ask him to go to a comedy show with me that weekend - not expecting much because of the aforementioned pale girl comment. We went to dinner and the show, which turned into dinner, a show, frozen yogurt, going back to my place to play videogames, and staying up until about 2am talking. We saw each other pretty much ever night after that until we graduated less than 2 months later :)

We then spent almost 2 years long distance before moving in together. We're getting married exactly 6 years and 2 weeks from our first date! (we would have done our actual anniversary, but it was palm sunday and the Catholic church is not so cool with doing weddings on palm sunday).
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Such sweet stories... I'm jealous!

FI and I met on OKCupid.com. There's a cute story about how I was very forward and asked him out, then went on a trip, got busy with my thesis, threw a house party and totally never got back to him. I got back to him the day after he gave up on me and signed up for Match.com, and he agreed to a first date for a second time. Our first date was April 1st of last year. Yep, we're one of those jump into it with both feet couples. We're a bit older (35/36), we know what we want, and we don't have a lot of time left for starting a family. So we're going for it!

The running joke is that our first date (and by extension, our whole relationship) was really an April Fool's Day joke. I joked that I was going to get up there on our wedding day and shout, "PSYCH! April Fool's! Let's party!" But I guess I can't since we're getting married April 14th.

ETA: There are so many of us that met on OKCupid, we should form a club! LOL
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_how-did-you-meet-your-fh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:be61b32d-e1b9-4d10-8074-75e54beed65cPost:b373b89a-e412-4ced-80b4-c129c62d5937">Re: How did you meet your FH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Such sweet stories... I'm jealous! FI and I met on OKCupid.com. There's a cute story about how I was very forward and asked him out, then went on a trip, got busy with my thesis, threw a house party and totally never got back to him. I got back to him the day after he gave up on me and signed up for Match.com, and he agreed to a first date for a second time. Our first date was April 1st of last year. Yep, we're one of those jump into it with both feet couples. We're a bit older (35/36), we know what we want, and we don't have a lot of time left for starting a family. So we're going for it! The running joke is that our first date (and by extension, our whole relationship) was really an April Fool's Day joke. I joked that I was going to get up there on our wedding day and shout, "PSYCH! April Fool's! Let's party!" But I guess I can't since we're getting married April 14th. ETA: There are so many of us that met on OKCupid, we should form a club! LOL
    Posted by von1976[/QUOTE]

Woohoo for Ok Cupid!  We are going to a wedding in June of another Ok Cupid couple, too!  I'm telling you, it's way better than match...mostly because it's free :)
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker 168 invited image | 61 are coming image | 10 can't make it image | 97 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 9th
  • Options
    My FH and I both saw each other's profiles on the same dating site two days before my bday two years ago, and both thought about writing to each other. I got the courage first, and wrote to him the next day. he wrote back and we talked for three months before deciding to meet. We met at a local (to me) Target and walked around for hours chatting. We got engaged one year later on my bday and got married this year on his bday!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_how-did-you-meet-your-fh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:be61b32d-e1b9-4d10-8074-75e54beed65cPost:9c6a8ec9-2a82-4bba-9929-6baea31cc24b">How did you meet your FH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd love to hear everyone's stories! I met my FH about 17 years ago. We both went to the same youth group. I don't remember much about him - I knew his brother better - other than he was the weird guy that did flips, lol. Almost 6 months ago we reconnected via FB and now we're getting married in 11 days! Everyone else?
    Posted by lauraandjosh040613[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    This is how long FI and I have been together..... we met in an AOL chat room.   lol

I was new to the area and was in the local chat room, looking for ideas on where to go to hang out, places to avoid, etc.  He sent me a private message (or whatever they were called) to compliment me on my grammar and manners - apparently it's rare for people in AOL chat rooms to display either one.  Anyway, we started chatting, which led to talking on the phone.

One day, he called after a particularly rotten day at work and said "I'd really, really, really, really, really love to see you tonight."  Me, being the smarta$$ that I am, thought to myself "If he had only said 'really' one more time, I would have said yes, but he didn't..... and out of nowhere, as if he read my mind, he said it - "really."  Just once. I felt like it was fate and I had to go.

I'll admit, I was terrified.  I wasn't into the whole 'meeting strange guys from the internet' thing and I certainly wasn't looking for love.  But love found me whether I liked it or not.  As it turned out, we clicked like you wouldn't believe and he lived over an hour away.  After a year, we moved in together.  After 3 years, I became pregnant with our daughter.  After 5 years together, he proposed on Christmas morning with the ring box in my stocking with our toddler watching Barney in the background.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  That was 2008 and we are FINALLY getting married in 17 days.  I can't wait!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    FH and I met through mutual friends in college. My friend Rachel and I went on a Spring Break trip together my senior year of college (2008) to visit various people, but primarily to vist her friend Jonathan at his college in the next state - an engineering school, so mostly guys.

We spent time hanging out with the whole group of guys that week, but were each drawn to particular guys! Rachel and her now husband Matt (they just got married in November 2012), and then myself and FH stayed up late watching movies together one night. I figured that's all it was - a nice night with some random cutie! (No creepy stuff here, ok? haha)

The next day we had to drive back home (about 4 hours away) and FH was really nice and made sure I had all of my stuff, helped me carry it to the car and even gave me a hug goodbye! Later in the week we started chatting online and eventually ended up making the drive to visit each other every other weekend at our colleges!

Before I met FH I had already accepted a position as an au pair in France for a year. He still had one last year of college. So much of our "dating" was over the internet for the 9 months we were separated by an ocean. (I was able to shorten my trip to make it back in time for his graduation!) When I came back to the USA, we moved to Iowa together because he got a job here right after graduating college. In August 2011 we bought a house together and Thanksgiving that year he proposed!

Our wedding date 4/13/13 is just a few days before our 5 year anniversary of being together!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards