April 2013 Weddings

The dress

I love my dress, but all of a sudden I'm having second thoughts!  It's very very plain, which is what I wanted.  I stopped looking at dresses so it's not that I've found one better, but when I look at mine I just think it seems very plain.  But I do love it I just hope it's THE one.  Kinda late now as it just came in and I have to pay the remainder on Monday!

Anyone else have any freak outs about the dress?  I know deep down it's the one but there's always the "what if I jumped the gun??"  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: The dress

• I know mine isn't THE dress.  I know it for a fact.  However, I hesitated to buy and then my dream dress was discontinued and I couldn't find it ANYWHERE.  So yes, I settled. Oh well.

Can you buy a sash or a brooch or add something to it to make it a bit less plain?  Post a pic or a link and let us see!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • My dream dress was way above my budget, and I wasn't willing to spend that! So I got one that is still really pretty and looks good on me, and was affordable! I'll still feel like a princess bride haha. If your dress is plain, maybe bling it up with some jewlery or hair accessories or fun shoes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GinaV0822GinaV0822 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2012
    It does have crystals around the waist, but that's it.  Maybe I can dress it up with some nice earrings and a necklace.  I'm not wearing a veil, but will be wearing something in my hair just not sure what exactly.  I wanted chiffon and it really is a pretty dress so I think I am just having a mini freak out!  Here's a picture.  I am not skinny or tall like the model though :(  What are your honest thoughts?  I should also add that our theme is tropical/caribbean so this is the look I had in mind when picking out a dress.  The link is below if you can't see the attached picture very well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is GORGEOUS!!!  It's exactly the same type of dress I'd go for as well.  I think with some sparkly earrings and a little bling around your neck, you will love it a million times more.  Great choice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Thanks ChiGirl!  I appreciate it.  All of a sudden I'm questioning so many decisions I have made (except my FI of course!).  I think I'm just worried about our entire vision coming together and actually pulling it off.  If I'm like this now I hate to see how I'm going to be in the coming months!  LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is really pretty!! You have nothing to be worried about, it is NOT plain!! Just put a little sparkle in the jewlery, hair piece and you are good to go!!

I totally get you about questioning everything. I questioned so much I changed our whole wedding less than 6 months before! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited October 2012
    Wedding dress regret is so common! I still question if my dress is perfect from me and the fact that there's soo many beautiful dresses out there doesn't help. I just try to remind myself how I felt when I put my dress on the day I bought it and how much I loved it in that moment. I have faith I'll get that same feeling on wedding day. I don't think your dress is plain at all btw!

Anniversary
  • I think that dress is gorgeous and I certainly would NOT call it plain! While there may be many other dresses that are more glamorous and over-the-top, I think that you will display a simple elegance in this gown. And with the frills going down the side, you also bring an element of fun to the table, which fits perfect with your theme! I'd say you did great!!!

I absolutely LOOOVE my dress, but every once in a while I'm like "Aw, man, it doesn't have ruching." or "Darn it, I wish my dress had more sparkle." At the end of the day, we can't have it all and as long as you are confident with yourself when you put that dress on, you are going to make your fiance say "Daaaamn girl" Hahaha. Laughing

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Are you having doubts that it's what you wanted or are you having doubts about what other people will think? I do think they're two different things. I also went very plain (http://watters.com/Product/WtooBrides/17853/) and I have had freak outs that it's not the "normal" big, over the top, lacy, blingy kind of dress. But, when it comes down to it, I'm not that kind of girl. Simple and elegant is what I wanted and what I got. And I really think that when I walk down that aisle, I'm going to look like me still, which was also important for me.

So, what I'm saying is, if it's just a feeling that you should ahve done what other people usually do or like or that they're going to think it's not elaborate enough, forget it. Everyone will think you're stunning and, if it's you, your FI is going to love it even more b/c that's who he wants to marry.

FWIW, I also think your dress is BEAUTIFUL so you shouldn't have any worries :)
  • It's gorgeous!!  I think that once you see the complete package, you will be very pleased ;-)  It's the perfect dress for a carribean wedding.  Just accessorize and you will ROCK that dress!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_the-dress-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:c2e6148a-c60f-4980-94aa-491a002f7977Post:dd6fd6e5-597b-47e6-a054-a1c23ed962a1">Re: The dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you having doubts that it's what you wanted or are you having doubts about what other people will think? I do think they're two different things. I also went very plain ( <a href="http://watters.com/Product/WtooBrides/17853/)" rel="nofollow">http://watters.com/Product/WtooBrides/17853/)</a> and I have had freak outs that it's not the "normal" big, over the top, lacy, blingy kind of dress. But, when it comes down to it, I'm not that kind of girl. Simple and elegant is what I wanted and what I got. And I really think that when I walk down that aisle, I'm going to look like me still, which was also important for me. So, what I'm saying is, if it's just a feeling that you should ahve done what other people usually do or like or that they're going to think it's not elaborate enough, forget it. Everyone will think you're stunning and, if it's you, your FI is going to love it even more b/c that's who he wants to marry. FWIW, I also think your dress is BEAUTIFUL so you shouldn't have any worries :)
    Posted by vonclancy[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think my doubts are mainly that is't not what other people might think.  I know I should not be that way!  I almost went with an all lace fitted dress which is sooo not me and I think I would have really looked out of place.  This is my 2nd wedding, and I'm 40 and I did not want people thinking I was trying to look young or trying to be anything I'm not.  I do think this dress accomplishes that.  My FI also does know I am not a "fancy" person and I am pretty simple when it comes to most things.  I asked him one day what type of dress he thought I would go for.  He told me something simple and flowy.  He was right!  </div><div>
    </div><div>I definitely want to look like a better version of myself on our wedding day and I feel better now after reading these posts that will happen!  </div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you so much for putting me at ease!  OK, freak out # 1 over!  Stay tuned for freak out #2 one of these days!  haha

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That dress is gorgeous!!! i like plain. My dress is also plain but im dressing it up with a really cute head band i got on etsy for $40. Im also planning on wearing some nice blingy (but not to crazy) earrings.
    Pinned Image 
    heres the link to my headband. http://www.etsy.com/listing/60269553/bridal-headband-athena-rhinestone?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=bridal+headband&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_max=35&ga_search_type=all

• Dani that headband is absolutely beautiful!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think that dress is beautiful! Looking at it might make you have second thoughts, but once you put it on you will fall right back in love with it!

I don't know what my dress looks like yet, lol. I am having it made and all I have done so far is pick out my material. Originally I wanted to just buy a dress from a store, but I could not find 'the one'. They style I love (ball gown) did not look good on my body, so I was trying on dresses that worked better for my shape but I didn't really care for. My aunt kept telling me her friend would make it, but that made me uber nervous. After about 7 months of looking for a dress I went to a salon, saw the most beautiful ball gown dress, tried it on for kicks and the rest was history. I fell in love. It was like triple my budget so my aunt convinced me her friend could do it. So I met with the lady, she saw the pictures, we changed some things around and that was it.

So (fingers crossed) everything turns out or I will come to you guys crying lol.
  • Here's what I think.  I think we, as brides-to-be and women, have been conditioned to think of our weddings as THE MOST MAGICAL FAIRYTALE DAY EVER EVER EVER.  In reality, it is magical, yes.  But, that doesn't mean that we are going to cry over every life-changing decision about the planning.   I didn't cry when I found my dress.  I think that's ok.   I was using Pintrest before I went dress shopping.  I was immediately drawn to the dresses I'd pinned - lace, deep V, sheath or mermaid, open back.  And I loved those dresses.  I actually knew that I liked the first dress I tried on.  But, I made my sister grab a ton of other - out-of-the-box - dresses.  I found one that I thought actually looked better on me.  That one was a toule-skirt.  It was poofy and princessy and really flattering.  In the end, however, I chose the first dress because it was more "me."  It was what I pinned over and over again as my ideal dress.  LIke you, I didn't want all the frills.   I knew I looked good in it and I'd love the photos.  I know it's not as extravagent as some others, but I think it actually fits my personallity more.   I think it's normal to second-guess everything.  We're so conditioned to believe everything has to be perfect.  It's never perfect.  And you know what?  You probably won't even notice that the chicken is over-cooked, or the card box is lopsided, or your MOH's hem is way shorter than you expected...... you won't even care.  Have fun!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards