April 2013 Weddings

Make Up

Yet another thing that I put off until last minute that I thought would be easy!  I was expecting to spend around $80 on make up including the trial but am finding that most places charge between $150-$300! And they ask for gratuity on top of that! How much are you ladies spending on your make up artist?
Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker photo boygirl_zps7b73636b.jpg

Re: Make Up

• edited February 2013
    WHAT?!?!?  Girl, get yourself hooked up with a Mary Kay consultant!  It differs with consultants but most don't charge clients for bridal makeup that are using the skincare products and if they're not, it's usually only around $50 with a free consultation.  If you're interested, go to the mary kay website and look up consultants in your zip code.

Hope that helps!!  I'm getting married in the middle of nowhere NC and everyone from Raleigh wants $150 and up and there's no telling how much extra they would have charged for a 4 hour round trip to get there and back.

If that doesn't help, I'm sure you could check with a makeup artist at one of the department stores at your local mall.  I've never done that but I know there are some ladies on here that have.  Hopefully one of them will chime in soon with input :-)
  • I was shocked at how much it cost as well.  But I am paying a little over $300 for my hair and makeup on the wedding day and my hair and makeup trial.  I have to tip them on top of that as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    When I was researching I was finding that bridal makeup is around $100 and up esp. the ones that travel to you. I am paying $120 for airbrush and lashes. Its worth it for me. She did my makeup for my e-pics and it was flawless. Mt deposit that I put down for makeup is used towards the day of so I do not need to pay the full $120. Trial is $50. Hair is $80 and up. Trial was around the same for hair.
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • $250 for day of, $150 for trial, I might get clip in extensions for another $100 (I get to keep them) she comes to the hotel where we are getting ready.  
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've paid about $200.00 on trials so far.
    I did go to Sephora a few times and have them do my make-up and give me bridal tips. That just gave me a bunch of products I want but can't afford :/
    I still have not decided on my hair but I will only be paying about $150.00 for make-up on my wedding day. Probably another $150.00 for hair.
  • My hair and makeup is 105 day of and my trial was 75. I know the girl though, so I might have gotten a discount, idk. She's great though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
    RSVP Deadline: February 28th
  • edited February 2013
    I'm doing my own makeup. I bought:

Urban Decay Triple Threat Travel Pencil Set: $19
    Benefit Cosmetics BADgal waterproof Mascara:$19
    Sephora Collection Color Lip Last 20 Wanted Red: $12
    Sephora Collection Colorful Blush Peach Fusion 13: $14
    Sephora Collection Natural Insticts Eyeshadow Palette: $28

$92. Free Shipping. DONE.

Big lips, natural eyes, waterproof lashes. That's all!

• doing it myself...thank you beauty school :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm also doing my own makeup. I splurged for some Make Up For Ever primer and high definition finishing powder and I needed to get new eyeshadow anyway so I got the Urban Decay naked palette, which I love. Along with that, I'll just use my regular mascara and foundation. Should be fine, though I am getting a bit nervous.
  • My makeup is 380 but includes trial, 5 bridesmaids and my mom. The trick is to ask your hair dresser if they have a makeup artist friend and try not to go to any of the more well known wedding makeup artists in your area that charge an arm and a leg.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am also doing my own. My FI has always told me he likes me better without it, so I'm just going to do minimal. I never wear make-up as it is, so why shell out the money for someone else to do it?
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_make-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:cfcf73c7-0a8d-4a00-9468-e30eca9ae5e7Post:9087dbbe-dd25-48eb-877b-273de0437246">Re: Make Up</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm also doing my own makeup. I splurged for some Make Up For Ever <strong>primer</strong> and high definition<strong> finishing powder</strong> and I needed to get new eyeshadow anyway so I got the Urban Decay naked palette, which I love. Along with that, I'll just use my regular mascara and foundation. Should be fine, though I am getting a bit nervous.
    Posted by tiny speck[/QUOTE]

<div>Good!  Using primer and finishing spray/powder is KEY for a long event like this!  </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, if y'all are looking for a little trick, you can apply a little highlighting powder around the eye, down to the cheekbone in the shape of a "C".  It catches the light from a camera flash for a really pretty effect :-)</div><div>
    </div><div>I recently taught a client to do her bridal makeup and I've got a trial coming up on March 11, with her wedding day on the 23rd.  I couldn't find anyone to do mine for less than $100 in the area so I said, "Screw it, I'll just learn to do it myself professionally!"  </div><div>
    </div><div>My hair is only $50 and the stylist is awesome and soooo quick!  I got lucky in this category, for sure.</div>
  • At my salon, airbrush makeup will be $80 for both the trial and day of. $25 for eyelashes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_make-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:cfcf73c7-0a8d-4a00-9468-e30eca9ae5e7Post:4f8e50cd-69df-4bce-baa9-59f575cec9c4">Re: Make Up</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Make Up : <strong>Good!  Using primer and finishing spray/powder is KEY for a long event like this!   Also, if y'all are looking for a little trick, you can apply a little highlighting powder around the eye, down to the cheekbone in the shape of a "C".  It catches the light from a camera flash for a really pretty effect :-)</strong> I recently taught a client to do her bridal makeup and I've got a trial coming up on March 11, with her wedding day on the 23rd.  I couldn't find anyone to do mine for less than $100 in the area so I said, "Screw it, I'll just learn to do it myself professionally!"   My hair is only $50 and the stylist is awesome and soooo quick!  I got lucky in this category, for sure.
    Posted by lch0708[/QUOTE]

Ah good to know I'm on the right track! That sounds like a great tip as well; I'll have to try it out a few times to see how it looks! :)
  • I'm doing my own. I wouldn't have time for a trial before the wedding in Mexico and I didn't want to risk it. I'm pretty good with make up anyway. I'll be using smashbox primer, smashbox foundation, smashbox setting powder, erase paste concealer, nars blush, urban decay eye shadow primer, urban decay naked palette, maybeline unstoppable eye liner, benefit they're real mascara and maybe fake lashes.

Anniversary
  • For trial hair and makeup, and day of plus gratuity- I will have spent $300. Insane! But it's better than running all over town to free/cheap places and being stressed- she's coming to my house to get me ready, and do the hair of my bridesmaids at $55 each too. So it was worth it to me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good afternoon my fellow bride and congrats,

I am actually a makeup artist based out of Atlanta I'd be glad to do a consult with you and further discuss what look your going for as I know these wedding details can become very expensive. I'd love to be your artist for your special day!! you can email me anytime @ colargee.artistry@gmail.com or call directly to 7707336693
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards