April 2013 Weddings

Registry

Has anyone started/completed this? What stores? Any good points to share with us?

FI and I still disagree on which stores. I'm leaning BBB and Amazon, but I think he still wants at least Target because it's a more common store. I'm just afraid of it because of all the horror stories.

I have a running Google document of items we might want, but I haven't looked at anything specific. I don't think we'll have any kind of wedding shower til early next year. When should we have the registries (mostly) completed?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
image 225 Invited
image 53 Are ready to party!
image 18 Will be missing out!
image 154 Are MIA!
Reply requested by March 23.

Re: Registry

• We pretty much finished ours a few weeks ago. We kept it kind of small because we already have a lot of things. We registered at BBB, Kohls, and JCPenny, so I think that you could register at both of the places that you want to and also the one your FI wants and be fine. 

We did ours entirely online. What I did was find a list from one of the wedding websites of good things to register for. I went through and deleted everything that we had that didn't need to be updated or things that we would never ever use. Since you already have a list of things you need you probably don't have to do this. But it might not hurt to look at a list from online, there were a lot of things on there that I hadn't thought of. 

Then I just went to one store and registered for a few things from my list, then the next store, then the next store. I did this to make sure that there were about the same amount of items at each store and a variety of price ranges. 

I don't think there's really a time that you should have it completed. If you do it early, there is a chance that some things may be discontinued. I'm going to have to check my registries close to the shower to make sure that everything on it it still available. I would say to have it done by the time bridal shower invitations go out. 

HTH, and good luck! :)
    135 invited image | 45 Yes image | 11 No image | 79 Still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 23
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaids Dresses
  • We registered at Target, Macy's and Crate & Barrel. Like pp, we're going to check the registries periodically to make sure nothing is discontinued.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have not registered yet, but when we do we will register at Crate and Barrel and Macys. FI and I plan to register late October/November. My shower is February 17, and they are sending out the invitations in December.
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We'll probably wait to register around December. My shower is not until March 3rd, so invites will probably go out in January!

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We registered at Macy's and BBB.  I highly recommend Macy's and register in person there, if you can.  They give you an awesome goodie bag!  Also, if you need a solid checklist to compare you spreadsheet to, Macy's has a great one on their website.  A hardcopy also comes in the goodie bag :-)

I registered at Dillard's, also.  I went when the typical bridal registry people weren't working so two of the regular salesmen had to help me.  They sort of knew what they were doing and gave me a "goodie" bag, which just had advertisements in it.  Also, they didn't tell me how to access the registry online.  This isn't such a big deal since I don't actually need anything from Dillard's, I just wanted to hook my coworker up for recommending me since she also works at Dillard's.  This was probably an isolated incident and I would still recommend the Dillard's registry.

I've heard horror stories about the Target registry, too.  I'd be wary of that one.
  • FI and I are planning on registering in the next week or so.  We are registering at BBB and Crate and Barrell.

I registered at Target for my baby shower and it was a mess.  I would not recommend using them.  A lot of people got mad at their policies when purchasing and I ended up feeling bad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We only registerd at BBB- is there a down fall for only registering at one place? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:e3c55397-270e-43f6-a9b1-c0e3c28f1192Post:0527be30-30f8-4c00-a084-ec358fda7c69">Re: Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]We only registerd at BBB- is there a down fall for only registering at one place? 
    Posted by FutureMrsKupko[/QUOTE]

<div>I wouldn't say there is something wrong with only registering at one place.  I like the variety of two places in gifts and in price.  Also your guests may not be able to get to one place and are closer to the other.  It is just giving them more options and making it a bit easier.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We've got registries started at BBB and Macy's.  Interestingly enough, I registered for my fine china and nice flatware at BBB and my daily stuff at Macy's! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:e3c55397-270e-43f6-a9b1-c0e3c28f1192Post:e6d8a1d1-631f-42b0-a3e3-602cbbc9080d">Re: Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registry : I wouldn't say there is something wrong with only registering at one place.  I like the variety of two places in gifts and in price.  Also your guests may not be able to get to one place and are closer to the other.  It is just giving them more options and making it a bit easier.
    Posted by dandelionsgirl[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We pretty much registered for everything we need through BBB, if we were to register somewhere else- what are suggestions for us to register for? I dont want to do duplicate registrys but I like the idea of what you said- giving people variety.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:e3c55397-270e-43f6-a9b1-c0e3c28f1192Post:3183d4e5-5fb9-4a64-a0b3-f249b76dd1fd">Re: Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registry : We pretty much registered for everything we need through BBB, if we were to register somewhere else- what are suggestions for us to register for? I dont want to do duplicate registrys but I like the idea of what you said- giving people variety.
    Posted by FutureMrsKupko[/QUOTE]

<div>I would go to a Macy's or Dillards.  Odds are they carry a lot of the same products.  Just remove some of the things you have at BBB and put them on at the new store.  Also, you may be able to get things monogramed at a Macy's or Pottery Barn you couldn't at BBB.  You also may find things you like better at the other store.  It doesn't hurt to have two smaller registries than one huge one.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're doing BBB, Amazon, and Kohl's.  BBB's done, we keep adding random things to Amazon, and I need to set up the Kohl's one.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I started some online.. but only to really look around.  I'm thinking Kohl's, BBB and Pier 1. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• I haven't even thought about registries yet, honestly.  I'm not having a shower since we're doing a destination wedding and only inviting immediate family.  I was told that "it's not even worth it" to have a shower with so few people to invite.  There have been people who mentioned that they wanted to get us something, though, so I'll probably do a small one in January.  I don't want to have to deal with trying to register during the madness of the holidays.

I really, REALLY want to warn against registering at Target.  Not a single person I know has had a good experience with Target registries.  My baby shower registry was a NIGHTMARE.  Even though the things came directly from my registry, I didn't get many gift receipts and they wouldn't take the things back.  I ended up having to sell about $500 worth of items on Craigslist and got less than $100 for them.  That was money lost that we REALLY could have used at the time, since we then had to use our own money to purchase things we needed, instead of being able to get them with a store credit from our returns.  Even though they say you can use your registry instead of a gift receipt to return things, when you actually try to do it, they refuse to allow it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:e3c55397-270e-43f6-a9b1-c0e3c28f1192Post:d024b561-1d62-4524-b32d-5bfc37abefe2">Re: Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't even thought about registries yet, honestly.  I'm not having a shower since we're doing a destination wedding and only inviting immediate family.  I was told that "it's not even worth it" to have a shower with so few people to invite.  There have been people who mentioned that they wanted to get us something, though, so I'll probably do a small one in January.  I don't want to have to deal with trying to register during the madness of the holidays. I really, REALLY want to warn against registering at Target.  Not a single person I know has had a good experience with Target registries.  My baby shower registry was a NIGHTMARE.  Even though the things came directly from my registry, I didn't get many gift receipts and they wouldn't take the things back.  I ended up having to sell about $500 worth of items on Craigslist and got less than $100 for them.  That was money lost that we REALLY could have used at the time, since we then had to use our own money to purchase things we needed, instead of being able to get them with a store credit from our returns.  Even though they say you can use your registry instead of a gift receipt to return things, when you actually try to do it, they refuse to allow it.
    Posted by ChiGirl2013[/QUOTE]

Gah! This is exactly why I DON'T want to use Target! So tempting that they just sent us a $25 gc offer to open a registry ha. FI doesn't even want us to do Amazon. We don't have some of the nicer stores you've mentioned and have never even been in them...bet most of our family hasn't either. Maybe we can do BBB and Kohl's....and then a small Target one if I cannot convince him otherwise.

One of my best friends, who is also one of my BMs, is getting married this November. They've done a Target registry and I'm hoping they have a GOOD experience. Even if it's not perfect, maybe hearing their direct opinions will change his mind...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 225 Invited
    image 154 Are MIA!
  • ChiGirl2013ChiGirl2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I just got that Target thing in the mail too.  Honestly, after my baby shower, I vowed never to set foot in a Target ever again.  BUT..... I can't pass up free money because that will scratch off one more gift from my Christmas list.  So I'm doing the registry with the mandatory 10 items  and just not telling people about it.  Nobody would think to search Target for a registry for me because everyone knows how much I despise that store.  If they happen to stumble across it, all it will have are small things like place mats, picture frames, etc - stuff I can live without and stuff that is inexpensive so it wouldn't matter if I had to return them without a receipt and lose a ton of money.

FI's sister did an Amazon registry and got very few gifts from it.  She thought it would be a big hit because they moved across the country right before they got married (but still had the wedding here in their home town.)  They thought people would use it and have things shipped to them and it would be easy peasy.  Nope.  I guess it was too "non-traditional" for some people. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:e3c55397-270e-43f6-a9b1-c0e3c28f1192Post:33f59cd8-5379-4f65-bb4a-e4271b35dbe2">Re: Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got that Target thing in the mail too.  Honestly, after my baby shower, I vowed never to set foot in a Target ever again.  BUT..... I can't pass up free money because that will scratch off one more gift from my Christmas list.  So I'm doing the registry with the mandatory 10 items  and just not telling people about it.  Nobody would think to search Target for a registry for me because everyone knows how much I despise that store.  If they happen to stumble across it, all it will have are small things like place mats, picture frames, etc - stuff I can live without and stuff that is inexpensive so it wouldn't matter if I had to return them without a receipt and lose a ton of money. FI's sister did an Amazon registry and got very few gifts from it.  She thought it would be a big hit because they moved across the country right before they got married (but still had the wedding here in their home town.)  They thought people would use it and have things shipped to them and it would be easy peasy.  Nope.  I guess it was too "non-traditional" for some people. 
    Posted by ChiGirl2013[/QUOTE]

Yeah - that's why FI doesn't want to do Amazon. None of his family would probably think to look there, but I know my family - esp my brothers - would shop there because we all have personal wishlists and such. But I could see it where it may not be worthwhile either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 225 Invited
    image 154 Are MIA!
  • We got the same offer from Target in the mail. We just went there to start the registry, got our 20 gc, then went home and deleted our registry. Hehe...:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards