April 2013 Weddings

Who will remount an e-ring? (X-posted)

FI and I have been engaged for 3 years, and saving for the wedding has been VERY slow. We're at the point now where we have a date and are able to pay for everything. However, there's a problem with my e-ring.

When FI bought it, it fit. Since then, I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and my hands are often very swollen. I haven't been able to wear my e-ring in almost a year. My "new" fingers are 2 sizes larger than my e-ring and that's too far to stretch or add gold. I have to get a whole new band. FI got the ring at Kay Jewelers and they want to charge an astronomical amount for me to give them the old band (which they could reuse) and give me a new band in the right size.

Does anyone know of any other places that will remount an e-ring and not charge an arm and a leg?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
RSVP Deadline: March 8th

Re: Who will remount an e-ring? (X-posted)

• vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I would maybe try a smaller local jewelry store. If you go in and explain to them what happened they might be more willing to help you out compared to a well known place.
  • I have no idea about prices, but I would check out Robbin's Bros. Fi dealt with both them and Kay when he was getting my e-ring. He already had the stone, knew what kind of a setting he wanted, and just needed a new setting. Kay's was very pushy and not interested in re-setting the stone; they just wanted to sell him one of their pre-done rings. When he went to Robbin's Bros, they were very helpful. They found him what he was looking for and, even though they're only supposed to give them out with a completely new ring, they gave him the light up box for free. I know it's not a huge value, but I guess they normally charge $10 or something, but the lady like our story so much, she threw it in. He was so much happier with the service at Robbin's Bros, if we hadn't found our bands on-line, we would have gotten them there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
  • Since you're in Chicago, try Norridge Jewelers.  My cousins swear by them.  I've never personally used them, but I know many who have.  I am not sure how their prices will compare, but might be worth a try.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will definitely try them - I know exactly where they are and we don't live far from there at all!  Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards