Louisiana-Baton Rouge
Options

Plantations: Myrtles, Greenwood, White Oak, Mt. Hope

Anyonoe have recommendations among these plantations?
I am in Arkansas and haven't had a chance to visit any of them yet.
I'll have about 100 guests, probably a wedding in late summer.
Some of the plantations offer the wrap-around patio as an option for a reception if the weather is bad, and that makes me a little nervous. I guess I could rent a tent. Just trying to figure out dance floor options.

Re: Plantations: Myrtles, Greenwood, White Oak, Mt. Hope

• Options
    nattiemay14nattiemay14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at White Oak on June 25. Part of the reason I chose them is they have a great indoor option in case it rains. It is a parlor room with a fireplace. They have a big ballroom too. I would check soon though on availability because I booked this past May for my June wedding and the Saturdays were filling up fast.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Nottoway on Saturday. Neither the ceremony or the reception will be in the house itself. Ceremony is going to be outside in front of the house, then the reception will be in Randolph's ballroom. Nottoway is absolutely beautiful and they have great food and an on site florist. It's not in Baton Rouge though, it's in White Castle.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    alexladalexlad member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Greenwood and I can't wait. They have a huge beautiful outdoor space with anything you could want including long rows of oak trees and a pond. There is enough room inside to fit about 300 comfortably although not all in one room probably about 100 in one room. The lady that runs it Charlotte is awesome to work with and they give you lots of freedom in all the spaces you choose to use. They also have a caterer that they recommend that we are using. They are called Best Catered Events and so far have been wonderful and the prices are very reasonable. All of the tables, tablecloths, real china, greenery for decor, and pewter or glass trays are all included.

Just the house-$28 pp

House and catering if you use Best Catered Events-$50 pp (you get 2 hot choices, 2 cold choices, 1 entree, i sandwich choice, i carved meat choice, 1 punch or tea selection. alcohol starts with wine and beer at $6 pp
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was really considering Greenwood, too! I have been concerned that  July 30th date (if it's still even available!) would be too muggy outside...or if it rained, we could be inside comfortably. I'll have about 100 guests. Hopefully I could rent a tent if needed.  When is your date?
  • Options
    alexladalexlad member
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married May 28th. We are getting married in the church and doing our reception at Greenwood. We are having a late reception like 8pm and so i am hoping it won't be too muggy. 

You could probably fit 100 in the front hall if it rains although the only wedding that the manager said they had to do that with was my best friends which was MISERABLY cramped and spilled over into the other rooms but they had about 300 ppl so I think 100 would be doable for you in the event that it happened. If it rains for the reception there is plenty of room for ppl to be spread out on the porches and throughout the house. Everyone got to watch everything at my best friends when it rained at the reception.

I live in SF so i can tell you about the others.

White Oak-Went to a very nice wedding there with about 75 ppl. It should be plenty of room for a group of 100 you could get married in front of the house and have the reception in the courtyard and ballroom which are also inside options if it rains. The food is AMAZING! I am not sure about the prices but I have heard it is very expensive. My friend got married in august and surprisingly it wasn't too hot wedding was at dark though.

Myrtles- Beautiful..but they do not have an inside option for 100 if it rains. You have to use their caterer. The food is VERY good but on the pricey side. i think that they started at $30 pp and the alcohol was something like beer and wine $10 pp and up. I think that the grounds was something like $20 pp to rent. So it was too pricey for us because we wanted an open bar and had no rain option for our group of 120 ppl.

Mount Hope- Also attended a pretty wedding there. It was very nice. There would be no inside option for 100 ppl. The wedding felt a little cramped and I think that they had 65 ppl there. Not everyone could fit in the room that they had the cake in or the room that they had the food set up. The tables were set up inside and outside the inside tables had very pretty chair covers. The wedding was outside in the gazebo and the dance floor was also set up outside. Over all very pretty, quaint plantation wedding. My friend said that if it had rained at her wedding they had offered her a tent which I think was $300 which I did not think was a bad price. I think that the prices were very reasonable. She said that she had a little trouble working with the caterer.

To answer your tent question I think that $300 is pretty standard from party city. Really all options are good choices. But if you do not want to deal with the tent your best options are probably White Oak or Greenwood. Alot of ppl risk it though and the tent doesn't seem to me like the end of the world. I was just concerned about the older people at our wedding being comfortable under a tent.

I hope this helped!! I think whatever you choose would be great they are all beautiful houses!  

• Options
    sonnierfayesonnierfaye member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to check out the Desert Plantation as well. I am getting married there in April and they have a dance floor that you can easily put a tent over (which is what we are doing) and its more intimate than a lot of the other plantations. We are expecting about 150 guests and it fits it perfectly. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! I decided to go with Greenwood because White Oak was already booked (and more expensive...so I guess I save money, too).

And I've decided to use CJ Grace as my photographer.  They have stunning work!

I hope you post pictures of your Greenwood wedding on here so I can take a peek!
  • Options
    brebetts1brebetts1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married at Greenwood last month and had a fantastic time... if you wanna look at my pictures to get some ideas, go for it.  oldsouthphotography.com go to view proofs, its the Betts/Smith wedding and the password is rain... because it rained during the reception, but we got out and danced in it..  Good luck!  It was gorgeous!
  • Options
    alexladalexlad member
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful pictures Mrs. Betts!! I am also getting married at the Methodist Church and reception at greenwood!
  • Options
    alexladalexlad member
    edited December 2011
    May I ask how many people are at the wedding and if you added chairs to the back? I am trying to figure out if i needed to if I could fit 140.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards