Louisiana-Baton Rouge

Lyceum Dean vs. De La Ronde Hall

Has anyone had a reception at either hall? We are getting married at the Old State Capitol fall 2011. We wanted our reception to be somewhere nearby as most of our guests are from out of town and we didn't want them to have to try to navigate all over Baton Rouge! We're going to have about 150 guests.
Any information anyone could give me regarding the size, service, food quality, and most importantly...PRICE would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks yall!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Lyceum Dean vs. De La Ronde Hall

• edited December 2011
    I have not had my reception at either place, but I have been to events and both. *The DeLa Ronde Hall is an elegant setting with hardwood floors, floor length draperies, and the attractive gold chiavari chairs for seating. I had my debutante tea there some years ago and the food was marvelous just as it was at my cousins wedding about 2 years ago. They work well with clients. Their website drakescatering.com has full pricing with the most expensive package at $30pp.
    *The Lyceum (no longer named Lyceum Dean) has nice structure with the two floors, and attractive outer appearance. Within the last few years it has been used as a popular party venue with a club atmosphere. We looked at it for our reception but decided there were too many cosmetic fixes that needed to be done and could not take the chance of them not being done by our wedding date; although they assured me it will be done by spring 2011. The carpeting is extremely warped and needs to be replaced. The walls have scuffs and marks, and the restrooms were less than attractive. The guy who we spoke with said the hall would soon be changing names as it would be owned and operated by a new hotel downtown that would be opening sometime at the end of the year or early 2011. They do not have onsite catering, but they do have a list of recommended vendors with the preferred being Bayou Bistro. There is a really nice bar setup and stage for the band if you have one. If the repairs are made as promised, which I'm pretty sure will happen, its a nice place.

Have you all considered having the reception at the Old State Capitol as well? Also take a look at the smaller ballroom at the Hilton downtown. It is absolutely gorgeous. Its too small for our guest list but will suite yours. It has a $14,000 food and drink minimum.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the information! I'm going to try and book appointments with them soon. I'm hoping that the repairs/changesyou mentioned at the Lyceum would be done by the time our wedding rolls around end of next year!
    $14,000 is wayyy over our budget for a venue. I never realized just how expensive a venue could be! We did think about doing everything at the Old Capitol but decided against it as there are some restrictions that would make things a little difficult. 
    Thanks again for the info!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I work at the belle of baton rouge (formerly the sheraton), and am not sure about our prices...I just bartend, but we held a wedding here a few weekends ago, and the set was beautiful. We have a great kitchen that does wonderful food. If I wanted a larger wedding, and didnt mind having my wedding at my work location, id consider it. I promise, I am not trying to sell my location, as I said, I'm just a bartender and have nothing to gain, just offering ideas.
    He calls me his little one. :)

Photobucket
  • alexladalexlad member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    been to both i personally like the style of dela ronde more
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to have my reception and wedding at the Old State Capitol in 2011.  I decided to have wedding only.  I looked at a lot of places.  I am guessing we will have about 150+ also.  That is why I decided against Drake's.  I felt it might not give me enough room to dance with the tables, people, food and d.j.  Anyways, I found the LSU Old Faculty Club.  We also have al ot of out of town guest, however, Once they turn right on a street, they stay straight and it turns into Highland Road.  The price is reasonable, the chef I heard is great and the place has a lot of character which is what I was looking for.  It was built in 1939 I believe. It has a front and back patio which I like.  If you are having alcohol, you will come out ahead with their prices.  The Lycerium, I know they are remodeling, new ownership.  I would chose Drake's first if you must stay in the area.  Do not forget to add 18% and then 9% on top of whatever menu you choose.  Then you also need to all the alcohol price if you are having it.  Good luck.  I would go look at the LSU faculty club.  However, you would want a weekend with an away game if you are getting married in the fall. Also, they have  a really nice hotel they built right there, the Cook Hotel.  Ask for Nelly at the LSU Faculty club....Good luck, Cynthia D.
  • The smaller ballroom at the Hilton is BEAUTIFUL.  The food & beverage minimum in that room is $10,000, not $14,000. The bigger ballroom at the Hilton is 14,000.  The food is awesome, and there are no limitations on how long the reception lasts!  No extra charge for a 6 hour reception if you want it that way!  I know lots of people who have had weddings there.  I'm planning my own right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards