Louisiana-New Orleans

Planning a small destination wedding. Ideas?

I am curently planning a small destination wedding in New Orleans from Memphis, TN. Tentatively our date is Monday May 30, 2011 and we're expecting probably no more than 30 guests. We'd really like to spend no more than $50 per person.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have contacted the St. Louis Hotel but I am afraid they may be just out of our price range. Currently, my fiance's favorite idea is a ceremony in Hotel Provincial's courtyard and then a reception at Margaritaville (only a 2 min. or so walk). While I'm okay with the ceremony, I'm just not sold on M'ville. What do you all think about that idea?

And lastly, I'd like to thank everybody for all the information here on the boards! It is invaluable!!

Re: Planning a small destination wedding. Ideas?

• meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want the French Quarter vibe without outrageous prices (i.e. less than $50 pp), and are looking at only about 30 people, you should look into the Natchez steamboat.  You can either have a private section of the main dining room or a small reception room.  Weather permitting your ceremony is on the deck of the boat with the Mississippi River in the background and your reception is during the two hour river cruise.  They take care of all the details for you and give you a lot for what you pay to the rent the facility.  The staff was very friendly and responsive and they are very flexible with their food/drink packages.  Your guests would be right in the French Quarter and you could hop a streetcar to your hotel while everyone else headed out to bars/restaurants for an afterparty if they wanted.  Send me a private message with your e-mail if you'd like the pricing info and I'll be glad to forward to you.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for the offer, but I already have their information. I considered it, but a steamboat is something we can do around Memphis, and we really want something more unique to NOLA. Also, I get motion sickness from playground swings so I just wouldn't want to chance getting sick.
  • edited December 2011
    You could look into the following places.  I'm not sure how much they cost and if they're really what you're looking for but it's some more ideas for you to look into:

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
    Princess of Monaco Courtyard & Carriage House
    Broussards
  • dandywarholdandywarhol member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just returned from our intimate destination wedding in NOLA.  We had 25 guests and a wonderful time.  We had our ceremony in the courtyard of Hotel Provincial.  It was lovely.  We all stayed at the hotel as well.  Everyone commented on how great the hotel was, the atmosphere, and the location.  The staff was very nice and accomodating, though keep in mind they run on NOLA time.

We had our reception at Arnaud's in a private room.  It was perfect!  The food was delicious, the service was impeccable, and I would recommend them in a heart beat.  I worked with Caroline from Arnaud's and she was a professional and so easy with which to work.  They did not require a Food & Beverage minimum - which was a giant plus for us.  With such a small party and a smaller budget, it was very difficult to find a restaurant to accomodate us.  Broussards was our second choice but still had a F&B minimum.   

This is NOLA so you have to give your guests great food.  Don't go to Margaritaville - go to some place that is NOLA.  Arnaud's is about a mile from Hotel Provincial and we, with most of our guests, walked to the reception.  We had the photographer with us and had a great time walking down Royal St, and Bourbon St. 

If you have any additional questions please let me know.  I'd be happy to help.  :)
    BFP #1 - Missed M/C, D&C 3.21.11

BFP #2 - Sylvie V. Q. born and died on 10.28.11 at 21w. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP #3 - Evie V. Q. Fetal demise @ 16w. DC 7.8.12
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    My blog My chart
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much!! Hope y'all have a Happy New Year!
  • cwatermeier68cwatermeier68 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Looking for a cool place to have a december wedding. Christmas eve we are willing to travel anywhere or change date. possibly.
    We really liked the idea of a wedding in Memphis, on Christmas EVE.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you as well for all the good ideas. I too am planning a small wedding with 20 people and need some ideas on places to have it.  I'd like to keep the wedding budget within $5,000 for EVERYTHING excluding the honeymoon.  

How was the reception at Arnaud's?  Was there any kind of music? was it a stand up reception or a sit down dinner?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards