Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Southern oaks brides

I'm a destination bride, and I've fallen in love with this venue! My questions to you ladies are:

How are the daytime weddings?
Is the venue easy to work with as far as customizing?
Did the reception seem rushed due to an evening wedding?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Southern oaks brides

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Hi!  Okay, I've been to quite a few weddings there and here is what I've observed.  The ceremonies held outside are very pretty but sometimes a train runs by (a BIG one) across the street during the ceremonies.  They are located in New Orleans east which is still recovering from Hurricane Katrina.  As for customization, I'm not too certain as to what you mean.  They select the bakery for you and give you a voucher for a specific dollar amount (they use Swiss and Haydel's).  The order of the event is pretty much set in stone; they don't deviate.  The decorations and layout are also "fixed".  You can't rearrange tables, garbage cans, etc.  The time of your event is also picked; a Saturday afternoon ceremony starts at 4, end at 4:30, with a reception from 4:30-7:30.  Now, I've been to day and evening weddings there, and sometimes it is rushed.  They don't push you out the door, but they do start cleaning promptly at the end of your event.  Their evening events for Saturdays tend to start at 8:30 p.m.
    I hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Thank TrulydPrincess! What i meant by customization is..exactly what you explained. Like moving tables, and changing decorations. The times have changed. I was told the afternoon wedding would start at 1 or 2pm.... i wish it was 4pm. that would be perfect!! Thanks again for you tips!

I wanted an evening wedding but the slot is already taken..so now i'm debating on the afternoon time. I'm all the way across the us though so i can't just go see it..smh it sucks!
  • Options
    Hi Ms. Kenyetta,

I actually just booked Southern Oaks this month for our February wedding. We are having an evening wedding so I can't speak to that issue. However, trulydprincess is incorrect. Southern Oaks provides EVERYTHING except the wedding cake, officiant and photographer. You must use outside vendors for these services (they don't give you any sort of voucher). The staff there is fantastic and I really feel like they would jump through hoops to make sure you are happy with your big day. I'm not sure about rearranging table and such as the venue is layed out pretty efficiently. However, you are by no means required to use their centerpieces and linens. They encourage you to use their set-up as it it probably the best value, but you are more than welcome to bring in your own florist, decorations, etc.

I could suggest hosting a Friday night wedding, which is what we are doing. They only host one wedding on Fridays, so all attention is on you. They also offered us a 10% discount if we booked in January, February or August. Also, Friday night weddigns are cheaper.

I highly suggest this venue if you are a destination bride. They take care of EVERYTHING. I live an hour a way and it is such a comfort knowing that I don't have to worry about anything.

I have a bunch of photos on my iPad of the venue from when I went to visit. I could send them via email if you'd like and I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions you have!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I PM'd you!
  • Options
    I think the grounds and setting are lovely but personally, I wouldn't' be able to get over the location.  It's right up against the highway and in an area that's still recovering as someone else mentioned.

As for changes, when I met with them, their attitude seemed to be that the place was gorgeous so why would I want to change anything!  They warned me that any vendors I hired would only have access 60 minutes before the wedding-- way too stressful!  And didn't seem to encourage me hiring anyone to bring anything in.
  • Options
    What other venues do you suggest that are similiar in price for 100-150 people. I'm a budgest bride, and we're trying to stay under $15000 for everything. Although we do have a good bit of wiggle room we'd rather not if we don't HAVE to...

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_southern-oaks-brides-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:40afd23c-96e2-4557-af51-1e57b77c47f8Post:b6d6b0ca-37da-4524-b4b6-f164b3a1d4cb">Re: Southern oaks brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the grounds and setting are lovely but personally, I wouldn't' be able to get over the location.  It's right up against the highway and in an area that's still recovering as someone else mentioned. As for changes, when I met with them, their attitude seemed to be that the place was gorgeous so why would I want to change anything!  They warned me that any vendors I hired would only have access 60 minutes before the wedding-- way too stressful!  And didn't seem to encourage me hiring anyone to bring anything in.
    Posted by Novena2014[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I don't know exactly what you're looking for but since you like Southern Oaks, I'm assuming you want something indoor/outdoor.  In that case, I'd suggest the Board of Trade.  Their catering is all done by Pigeon and they are very flexible in pricing.  I'd also suggest the Wax Museum and if you want an outdoor ceremony, you can use the courtyard next door.  The Wax let's you use any caterer you want so that can help control costs as well.
  • Options

Pigeon caterers are really nice and good food.  Have you considered the Benachi Home and Gardens??  They are pretty reasonable and may offer you exactly what you want at a price that pleases your pocketbook! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards