Louisiana-New Orleans

Hostess gift?

Okay, so our couples shower is being thrown by our entire wedding party. Everyone contributed funds to put it on, and one of my bridesmaids and groomsman are married, so they are having the party at their house.

This bridesmaid is doing most/all of the planning. She is on maternity leave so she is getting everything done on her own. 

Is it okay if I get a hostess gift for she and her husband? I'm already getting the entire WP gifts for being in the wedding. We are giving those at the bridal luncheon and rehearsal dinner.

Is it inappropriate unless I get them for everyone?

I'm just wondering because I know how much work it is to have the party at your own house. Between the cleaning, setting up, etc.

What do you think?

If you think it's okay, what should I get? I was thinking a really nice engraved picture frame, but I'm super open to suggestions.

Re: Hostess gift?

• ladean2ladean2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually think its customary to get all of the hosts and hostesses 'host gifts'.  I've seen people give serving dishes if the party is around a holiday, monogramed blankets, or just a bottle of wine.  I'm sure no one would notice if you got the actual hosts a little something extra.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_hostess-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:47c8b68d-8b60-4e63-997b-c542acf72eb5Post:5463988a-af83-4017-a687-0894d48a541c">Hostess gift?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, so our couples shower is being thrown by our entire wedding party. Everyone contributed funds to put it on, and one of my bridesmaids and groomsman are married, so they are having the party at their house. This bridesmaid is doing most/all of the planning. She is on maternity leave so she is getting everything done on her own.   Is it okay if I get a hostess gift for she and her husband? I'm already getting the entire WP gifts for being in the wedding. We are giving those at the bridal luncheon and rehearsal dinner. Is it inappropriate unless I get them for everyone? [/QUOTE]

This is so funny because i am in the exact same situation even the maternity leave part! ha!  This is the only shower we are having since we live out of town. I am interested to see what everyone else says. I think its ok, but i can see how it may hurt others feelings. Maybe you could give it to them in private and not make a big deal out of giving them their gift? I dont know. Sorry i wasnt much help.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • meredithcheekmeredithcheek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'd get something small for everyone and something a little better for the bridesmaid/groomsmen hosting it at their home.  just to let them know you appreciate them going above and beyond.  i gave my girls stationary and a candle.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd get a hostess gift and send a nice note to the rest of the bridal party. You don't have to broadcast giving the gift--I'd just give it to the host or hostess quietly when you arrive.
  • edited December 2011

Thanks for the help! I'll definately give it to her in private. I like the idea of sending each person a sweet note, too!

• edited December 2011
    I agree with the others - I would give gifts to everyone who's hosting, plus something extra or nicer for the person whose house it is.  I found this super cute book which I'm going to give as gifts to people attending my shower, and I'll buy a little something extra or send flowers to my bridesmaid who's hosting.

http://www.amazon.com/Very-New-Orleans-Celebration-History/dp/1565124472/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards