Louisiana-New Orleans

Welcome Party ideas

Hi ladies

FI and I are wanting to offer some food and drinks - nothing too formal - to our guests on the Friday before our Sunday wedding since so many are out of towners. Any ideas on something fun but not crazy expensive? I am not super picky in terms of location. I already tried Rock N Bowl and Southport Hall which were both booked :(

Other ideas would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
:)

Re: Welcome Party ideas

• Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a bar crawl the Friday before our Sunday wedding. Everyone was from OOT and it was the perfect way for our different friend groups to meet. We picked 4 of our favorite bars, planned a route and a loose "schedule" of what times we were aiming for. We even planned to-go drinks for the longest stretch of the walk. It was a lot of fun.
  • There's a brand new Italian Pie on Prytania and it is GORGEOUS (they renovated a huge mansion).  They do 3 for 1 well drinks, house wines, and draft beer on Friday nights and the food is really good for a very reasonable price.  Maybe something like that would work?
  • We had quite a few guests that arrived early, and my in-laws hosted a casual welcome party at Voodoo BBQ on St. Charles. My H loves Voodoo and wanted to have our rehearsal dinner there. FIL wanted something nicer so he compromised and did the welcome party there.
  • My daughter is doing hers at Tujacques
  • Thanks, ladies - I am still investigating, but these are all great ideas :)
  • For those who have had them at places in the French Quarter, were you able to get everything for a reasonal price?  We're also looking to do a welcome party on Friday night with drinks and some basic hors d'ouevres for 2 hours and it seems like the lowest price I can get is upwards of $40 per person.
  • We are doing ours at Napoleon House.  My honest opinion is that it isn't the greatest spot (their upstairs room that is - downstairs is awesome), when we visited the upstairs last month we were really put off by (a) the dusty-ness of the whole place, (b) white linens covering everything (made us question how often is it used), and (c) some of the chairs were stained.  Our deposit was non-refundable so that is that and we are sucking it up.  However, where they have been good is in their responding to my correspondence and flexibility, major points for that.  I originally gave them a budget of $25 per person and they met it.  They were going to do 2 hours - inclusive of house wine, bud light/coors light, one signature cocktail (pimms cup) and 2 types of hors d'oeuvres.  I've since upped the package to a $39 package which is full open bar and 8 hors d'oeuvres for 3 hours.  They are also letting us bring in dessert with no plate charge, and have met our request for a special hors d'oeuvre that isn't on the options they give you (no upcharge).

My point is, if you are truly on a strict budget, you may want to reach out to them and see if they can work within your range.  Speak to Vivian.  

Let me know if you have any questions :)
  • We are doing ours at Napoleon House.  My honest opinion is that it isn't the greatest spot (their upstairs room that is - downstairs is awesome), when we visited the upstairs last month we were really put off by (a) the dusty-ness of the whole place, (b) white linens covering everything (made us question how often is it used), and (c) some of the chairs were stained.  Our deposit was non-refundable so that is that and we are sucking it up.  However, where they have been good is in their responding to my correspondence and flexibility, major points for that.  I originally gave them a budget of $25 per person and they met it.  They were going to do 2 hours - inclusive of house wine, bud light/coors light, one signature cocktail (pimms cup) and 2 types of hors d'oeuvres.  I've since upped the package to a $39 package which is full open bar and 8 hors d'oeuvres for 3 hours.  They are also letting us bring in dessert with no plate charge, and have met our request for a special hors d'oeuvre that isn't on the options they give you (no upcharge).

My point is, if you are truly on a strict budget, you may want to reach out to them and see if they can work within your range.  Speak to Vivian.  

Let me know if you have any questions :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards