Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

House of Broel

Has anyone has their wedding at the House of Broel? We are almost definitely we are going to book it... We have 75-100 guests and are getting married on October 1. Or does anyone have any ideas where to have a reception for under 5,000?Thanks

Re: House of Broel

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I heard (could be a rumor) that House of Broel does not allow kids at all. Again, I have never verified that for myself, but I feel like I've heard that through the grapevine.  Might want to look into that first if you're planning to invite kids.  Other than that, good luck!

ETA: Just went to their website; they have a kids rate for tours on the weekdays so I likely heard wrong about the no-kids thing. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't invite any children, as it's a destination wedding and New Orleans doesn't seem like a child atmosphere:) So we will be all good there:) Thanks for looking out.I'm just getting pretty nervous, as most people do. Haha. :)
  • Options
    Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked at HOB. Their packages are really reasonable so you can't go wrong there. We have friends who have gone to weddings there and gave really good reviews. Fwiw, there's nothIng wrong with bringing kids to Nola. There are tons of things to do that are kid friendly, so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor for your guestlist. Would I suggest taking them out on Bourbon at night? Not personally. But we have strolled our son (now one year old) around the French quarter everytime we've been in town. Just sayin :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding there in April. We did have a few kids... not a problem. However, expect to pay full price for them- there is no discounted kids rate. I will be honest, I was really excited about HOB. In my opinion, it was a bit disappointing. You are required to use her DJ. We made many attempts to contact him and he finally got back to us a few days before the wedding. We sent him all of our music. When we got to the reception, the DJ wasn't there. He called to say he would be late. Sorry- thats not ok. The DJ should be set up and ready to go in plenty of time before the wedding party and guests get there. We even got there after the scheduled start time as we all arrived via streetcar- there is no excuse for him not being there.We had to wait upstairs and lose out on time with our guests as there was no DJ to do introductions and first dance. He finally got there and we went downstairs. He didn't have our music and totally butchered my new last name. We were really specific telling him how to pronounce it. C'mon, really? Half the wedding party had our last name and he destroyed it. As they always say, your guests don't notice these things but I was disappointed in my experience there. They had no notes on what we had talked about... the coordinator was like time for the bouquet toss. I didn't toss my bouquet as I was giving it to my grandmother. Silly things like that were so disorganized. I was disappointed. However, we had an AMAZING second line afterwards in the Quarter which totally rocked our guests and left the day off on a great note. On the up side, you can't beat the price at HOB for the location. However, the food was mediocre at best and some of the items which were on the menu never appeared at the reception. They served our guests tons of finger sandwiches. It was disappointing. Hope that is an honest review.
  • Options
    Hi, 

I'm looking into HOB for my wedding, and just read your not-so-great review; I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed, but glad you had a good time overall. 

I was wondering, aside from your bad experiences at that particular location, how was it having a wedding uptown and a second line downtown?  We're interested in doing that as well, and I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some more info as to how you went about coordinating that.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    WARNING, DO NOT GET MARRIED HERE. The package we bought included 24 photographs, and I mistakenly assumed that meant we had a photographer. I was informed by the owner, Miss Bonnie, that she was the photographer. I wondered how she could handle this job since she turned out to be the officiant as well. After the ceremony when she started posing us for pictures, she found that her memory card was full! As our family and friends were taking pictures (thankfully), she hurried to delete pictures from the memory card to make room for ours. Hopefully those weren't some other bride and groom's photos. Needless to say, we did get 50 photos of such poor quality we will not be using a single one (her camera was a crappy digital, though I'm still not sure how they are so blurry). The above is only the most egregious issue. She was also very rude to me on the phone and got our wedding date wrong on the first contract. Its unfortunate that we paid in full because I certainly would have asked for money back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards