Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Barn/Outdoor Venue that is NOT a "Plantation"

Does anyone know of a barn/outdoor venue that is not called a Plantation and near to New Orleans? I really want a rustic feel to the place, but I just can't stomach the idea of getting married where my ancestors were enslaved :(

Re: Barn/Outdoor Venue that is NOT a "Plantation"

• Options
    I'm trying to think of something in the area matching that description, and having a really hard time. New Orleans and the surrounding area isn't really known for its rustic, country scenery. Just about everything rustic-outdoorsy here will be some sort of plantation.

There are plantations around here that did not have slaves when they were in operation - the owners were poor or the plantation was small enough to be run by the family. Don't let the name alone turn you off.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Try the Audubon Golf Clubhouse. It's not quite as "rustic" as you might want, but it's definitely charming and not at all a plantation. =) 

I got married there. Links to my planning bio:

• Options
    Maybe you can try the Abita Quail Farm on the Northshore.
  • Options
    Check the dates on many of the New Orleans area plantations, some were built in the early 1900s (after the outlaw of slavery).  Just because they are called plantations does not mean they utilized slaves but I def understand your concern.  I think when they built large homes, they just dubbed them "plantations" because it sounds fancy, although of course many of them were "real" plantations.  We r getting married at Southern Oaks Plantation...not ever a plantation at all...it was just a big pretty house for having weddings.  I see that you are a distance bride?  Just try not to let names throw you off, do some research first or you'll miss out on a lot of opportunities.  Check out the Louisiana Castle.  I agree with Abita Quail Farm.  If you are looking for "rustic" that might be hard to find in the New Orleans area, so maybe check out venues on the northshore.
  • Options
    Another place on the northshore is the Salmen-Fritchie house. The on site catering is called Pattons. I've heard really good reviews. 25 minute drive to new orleans.
  • Options
    It's not a huge venue (still probably enough for 100-150 ish people) but City Park has a brick "garden study center" that is a little more rustic and is rented in conjunction with an outdoor area that is covered.  They have several areas where you could set up if you want to have your ceremony there.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely look into them and if you have any other ideas, keep'em coming!
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much the Aibta Quail Farm costs per person?? I can't find prices on their website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards