Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

A little sad...

So we were expecting approximately 130-140 guests based on people who verbally told us they were going, hotel reservations, etc.  In the last few days as we've been tracking down people who haven't RSVP'd yet, many of them have switched to declines.  Various reasons, but it seems like most just never made formal plans or booked flights and now decided not to go.  So in a matter of days we've gone from too many people going to not enough.  I think we may just break 100 now (103 yes, with 3 of those I'll believe when I see them there). 

I know there was a previous post about people getting a higher turnout than expected, but has this happened to anyone else?  I'm kind of disappointed.

Re: A little sad...

• Options
    I know my mom was hoping for over 300 guests, but we ended up with around 275.  Many of my friends who told me that they were coming flaked at the last minute.  Not so much with family though, which is probably why I still ended up with so many guests.
  • Options
    THIS....exactly.  I am so, so, so disappointed in not just our friends but family too.  We invited 230 (granted we knew many could not come) and I had thought we'd have between 80-120...well it looks like it's going to BARELY be 80.  Now we did choose a Friday, and a 3 pm ceremony, and it is the week before Thanksgiving.....but everything I had been told is that if a guest wants to go to your wedding when/where/what time it is doesn't matter.  I know for some it was truly just impossible (large families it would be too much airfare for, people whose jobs are not flexible...etc) But I cannot believe the number of our local friends who will be missing it.  I am super worried too, that some of our yeses may not actually show.  I am also highly annoyed by the number of people that can't be bothered to RSVP.  I know it is a common occurrence, but it is just so rude.  I have daily nightmares about this....we knew we would have a smaller turnout, but I didn't think this small!!  For what it's worth 100 was my ideal, so I think you should be happy :)  and where is your ceremony/reception?  if we weren't at the Cathedral and the Bourbon Orleans (both big) I would be a lot less concerned...I just don't want it to look too empty.  At least you can remember that the important people will be there!!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_a-little-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:7ccf77f6-f788-44e3-8f62-09e643b5a132Post:906bccec-2f36-4016-bd47-67ca30fff7c2">A little sad...</a>:
    [QUOTE]So we were expecting approximately 130-140 guests based on people who verbally told us they were going, hotel reservations, etc.  In the last few days as we've been tracking down people who haven't RSVP'd yet, many of them have switched to declines.  Various reasons, but it seems like most just never made formal plans or booked flights and now decided not to go.  So in a matter of days we've gone from too many people going to not enough.  I think we may just break 100 now (103 yes, with 3 of those I'll believe when I see them there).  I know there was a previous post about people getting a higher turnout than expected, but has this happened to anyone else?  I'm kind of disappointed.
    Posted by mnols[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    We invited 180, about 98 percent of that were OOT. We estimated 100 would come and wound up with 70. I loved that number. It was on the small side, but I really felt like I saw and talked to everybody as much as I could without being stressed about getting to everyone. I get being bummed, but traveling is expensive, and New Orleans is not a cheap city to visit. Try not to let it bother you and have fun with the guests who are there.
  • Options
    I totally get how you could feel that way. I'm having a much,much smaller wedding and I was worried that only 5 people would show up. It's hard not to take it personal, especially when you get an answer like "Oh...I am so sorry. I totally flaked on booking a flight and taking advantage of your hotel block". Arghhh! It's very frustrating and irritating. But like one of the PP said...try to focus on the guests who ARE coming. Just remember why you're doing all this of this (marrying that wonderful hunk of love of yours!!) and have fun!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    thanks guys. My fiance also helped point out that of those not coming, only 1-2 couples would actually add to the party, so we'll still have the fun crowd :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards