Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

costs of coordinators

Hey guys - I just made an executive decision last night that I am going to spend less on invitations - not have a band and spend the money instead on a coordinator. . however, I have no idea what the costs of coordinators are.

Also, how do you go about selecting one. I would assume that so many of the women mentioned on the boards are great and helpful. What sort of criteria should I use? 

And finally, there are some DIY projects (I want to make particular small things like personalized cocktail napkins, memorial photo's, announcements of charity donations on tables, personalized drink stirrers, etc.)  and want a coordinator who's open to this - so it would probably be someone who's okay with putting out the stuff I like. Are most open or do they just want you to work with vendors?

Re: costs of coordinators

• Options
    It has been close to a year since I hired my coordinator.  I think most of the month of/day of packages probably run around $1,500.  I know my coordinator has raised her prices in the last year.  Since you can't meet them in person, I highly suggest you schedule a phone call with the ones you are interested in.  Ask them what they include in their package and be explicit about what your expectations are for them.  You should also ask them how familiar they are with your venues and vendors you are interested in.  You definitely want to hire someone with good background on reliable local vendors.

All that being said, first impressions mean a lot, so trust your gut and make sure you have a good rapport with them.  If you have any doubts, it is going to make the weeks leading up to your wedding a very stressful process.  A great coordinator will allow you to really enjoy your day.

I hired Carolyn Arthurs at All About Events, she was very knowledgeable about New Orleans weddings, completely took over the reins the week of, and made my wedding day seamless.  She also put out all of the DIY items that I made on the tables.   Not all coordinators will do that, so make sure you ask. 
  • Options
    We also used Carolyn and she was awesome. She put out all our linens, favors and place cards, supplied our cardbox and made my second line umbrella last minute. She made sure we didn't forget anything and negotiated with our caterer to do to go drinks for the second line and clean up at the end of the night.
  • Options
    I am using Kelly Sherlock and really love her.  I am not necessarily a DIY bride, but I will tell you that I have already accumulated quite a bit of crap (centerpiece stuff, etc.) and Kelly has encouraged me to send it all to her ahead of time for her to keep and bring to me on the wedding weekend (she will of course be the one setting most of it up at the reception).  Ditto to pp on advice on finding a coordinator.  The one thing I learned was that almost everyone I "interviewed" on the phone was willing to be flexible in their packages in order to meet my needs.  I wanted more than just a weekend/month of coordinator, but didn't feel I need a full on start to finish planner.  Kelly adjusted her package, pricing, and our contract to reflect exactly what I wanted.  I believe her fee was about $2700.  Yes, it was pricey but I can tell you it has been well worth it.  She has accompanied us on every planning trip to most of our vendors, done a walk thru at our reception site, and has been at my disposal via phone call and email for the last 9 months. 

You might also ask the vendors you have already booked to recommend some coordinators they have worked with in the past (or ask them about some of the names you are considering).  I found that most vendors have the best insight on who is really capable and professional.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is really helpful.  I'm just starting out and think we'll definitely need a coordinator to help with everything!
  • Options
    I went with NOLAbash for week of coordination for $1000.  My wedding isn't until November but Danielle has already told me that I can send my stuff to her a month before the wedding.  I've only needed to speak  to her a couple of times so far bc I've looked for most of my vendors on my own...and with the help of this board!  She's recommended vendors for anything I haven't booked yet and will set up my semi DIY centerpieces.  Just knowing that someone else will take care of coordinating my vendors and setting up before the reception is already worth her fee.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards